Hey I-75 Travelers

Hoosierwdw

3_10_7.gif
I,m traveling with 4 kids and was wondering if you have any favorite stops along I-75 esp. through TN & Ga. Good places to eat for families. Resturants with playplaces ect. I know there are some places people always like to stop at along the way.
36_11_3.gif

rebsar

Great Book

Hi! We drove down to Disney a few years ago from Michigan and I bought this book called "Along Interstate 75" and it was the BEST book. It lists what is at EVERY exit (restaurants-even says if they have a playplace and whether it's indoor or out, gas stations, hotels, etc) along 75 and has tons of info about fun things to do along the way and points out neat stops along the way. It also shows where the speed traps are. We actually saw a cop where they said there would be one. My older daughter loved reading the book as we went. She would tell us what was coming up. It's a great book. Maybe look on ebay or amazon's used section to get it cheap.
Have fun!!

Upvote 0

Madison'sMom

I live in Atlanta and of course there are a lot of restaurants through downtown Atlanta. If you are into greasy food, there is always the Varsity downtown Atlanta right off of the interstate. :p Just avoid the rush hour traffic which begins around 2'ish and ends around 7'ish. LOL.

Upvote 0

DescentGate

Oooh, in atlanta, I find out the CarPool lane is quite entertaining to take. Just make sure you pay attention to the interstate splits for your lane (different from the other 8 lanes on 75/85).

Anyway, here's my top stops for I-75 starting at the I-24 Junction going to Florida:

- Chattanooga, TN* (may require exiting at I-24 west)
- Cordelle, GA
- Forsyth*
- Macon* (I-16 / I-75 split)
- Tifton*
- Unadilla
- Valdosta* (home of wild adventures theme park)
- Exit 3 (I forgot the city, before the border).

Anything with asterisks has billboards announcing historic sites or other venues that may be of interest. However, all of these destinations will have a good variety of chain restaurants, play places, and services to choose from.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

When you're going through Atlanta, while on 75/85, stop at The Varsity! Best cholesterol there is in the world! Hot dogs, or naked dawgs, chili burgers and apple pie!

Once in Florida, stop in Alachua, it's exit 390 at Bev's Better Burger. Best burgers in the Sunshine State.

Enjoy the trip. Remember, get out of Tennessee as fast as you can and get to the good SEC States... Vols are bad, Dawgs are good! Gators are just lucky right now!

Upvote 0

natalia1681

When you're going through Atlanta, while on 75/85, stop at The Varsity! Best cholesterol there is in the world! Hot dogs, or naked dawgs, chili burgers and apple pie!

Once in Florida, stop in Alachua, it's exit 390 at Bev's Better Burger. Best burgers in the Sunshine State.

Enjoy the trip. Remember, get out of Tennessee as fast as you can and get to the good SEC States... Vols are bad, Dawgs are good! Gators are just lucky right now!

What? What? You have that backwards, friend. Vols are good, dawgs are bad. Remember, 2 legs good, 4 legs bad:lol:

But, I have to agree with stopping at the Varsity!

Upvote 0

sbkline

There's always the Cafe Risque for good family entertainment.
Go Noles.....down but not out........RIP Jeff Bowden

Someone beat me to it! :lol: Never stopped there. Never will. But they do make sure you know about the joint 50 miles or so ahead of time. "We bare all" flashed at you periodically for about an hour or more before you even get to the exit.

We have a sentimental spot which is actually on I-24, not 75, in Nashville. We stopped at the Shoney's there on our honeymoon trip, for supper. When we went to Chattanooga six months later to meet a friend, we stopped there again and ate in the same booth. When we went to Florida again 6 months after that, we stopped there again and, again, got the same booth. But, figuring our luck would run out eventually, causing us NOT to get the same booth next time, I decided maybe I should retire that restaraunt to memory and find another stop.

Upvote 0

GymLeaderPhil

We make a roadtrip to Ohio each summer to work a convention/ride some awesome coasters and, as you might imagine, we've just had to stop at every tacky place along the way to Cedar Point. Here are some that really stand out...

The Big Chicken - Marietta, GA
Babyland General Hospital - Cleveland, GA
The World's Largest Peanut - Ashburn, GA
World of Coca-Cola Pavillion - Atlanta, GA
Big Bone Lick State Park - Union, KY
ANYTHING in Pigeon Forge, TN (Especially Dollywood) (RIP Bunny Golf)
Big Ears of Corn - Dublin, OH

This year we're trying to go to this place:
Jungle Jim's International Farmers Market - Fairfield, OH
He even has a Monorail outside!

Upvote 0

Hoosierwdw

Original Poster
Thanks Yall I'm coming from Evansville, IN down thru Nashville to Chatanoogo picking up I-75 there. I love greasy so The Varsity sounds good. The "Big Chicken" & "Big Peanut" sounds interesting:p

Cool sentimental story about shoneys too!:kiss:

8_2_74v.gif

Upvote 0

Atlaslaw

The Along Interstate I-75 book is a definite must have for your trip.

See: http://www.i75online.com/index.html

One of our favorite restaraunts is outside Knoxville, TN called Aubrey's:

http://www.aubreysrestaurants.com/aubreys/html/locat.htm off exit 112. Found out about this place in the I-75 book.

Another fun place to stop is one of the As Seen on TV Outlets off exit 141, prior to getting to Aubrey's

Final recommendation would be to stop by for a tour of the Mayfield Dairy Farms where they make "the world's best ice cream". off exit 52 in Tennessee.

In January 2005 we stopped at the Florida Welcome Center and actually met Dave Hunter, the author of Along Interstate 75. Couldn't miss his vehicle with his name and ads for the book painted on the side.

Good luck on your trip. Making it again myself with 2 kids in January 2007!

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

We make a roadtrip to Ohio each summer to work a convention/ride some awesome coasters and, as you might imagine, we've just had to stop at every tacky place along the way to Cedar Point. Here are some that really stand out...

The Big Chicken - Marietta, GA
Babyland General Hospital - Cleveland, GA
The World's Largest Peanut - Ashburn, GA
World of Coca-Cola Pavillion - Atlanta, GA
Big Bone Lick State Park - Union, KY
ANYTHING in Pigeon Forge, TN (Especially Dollywood) (RIP Bunny Golf)
Big Ears of Corn - Dublin, OH

This year we're trying to go to this place:
Jungle Jim's International Farmers Market - Fairfield, OH
He even has a Monorail outside!

I live in Union, Ky. I'm about 2 miles from Big Bone Lick State Park. It has a funny name but it is called that because of the giant mastadon bones they have found there near salt licks. In addition it is about 30 minutes from Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH. We go to Jungle Jims a couple of times a year. It is basically a huge grocery store with anything imaginable from any country in the world. Even if you don't buy anything it's worth going. It takes about 4-5 hours just to walk through the place. He did buy old monorails that they used to have at Kings Island back in the 80's and planned on running them on a track around the property. It was kind of put on hold for other projects though. He is always building something there though.

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

How about the original KFC in Corbin, KY? Corbin is Col. Sanders hometown. The Sanders Cafe is a full-service KFC and is about 2 miles from I-75 at Exit 29 in Southeast KY. It has a small but free museum and the original kitchen is still there for viewing. Just look for the giant Bucket in the sky! :D

Upvote 0

stankly182

If you are going through Nashville, there are tons of great places downtown you should check out ( I live about 40 minutes from Nashville).The Frist, The Ryman, and if you had time The Hermitage ( Home of President Andrew Jackson) which is just outside of metro Nashville! Our favorite places to stop along I-75 are the Cartersville, GA, Macon GA, Unidilla(sp) GA, and several other random places. My mother and I love driving to WDW because of all the cool things we see along the way. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing Weird Georgia and Weird Florida by Mark Moran. They are great and intersting books, and they list cool places to stop and see in Georgia and Florida!

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

Hey Len,
I love your podcast on WDW Today. I've finally managed to go back and listen to every one while at work. Very entertaining, I think you and I share the same sense of humor.

Brian

Upvote 0
I am the ultimate I-75 traveler; coming from Illinois, I normally stop in Georgia. In Georgia, the best place to stay is Tifton, Georgia. They have a nice Courtyard Marriott and Hampton Inn and Sonney's Real Pit BBQ!!!! Also, Atlanta, Valdosta, Unadilla, Cordelle, and Perry are also some other spots that are great places to stay. No matter where you go, stop at a Krystal!!! There are also some other great places to stop that I haven't stopped at. I have made numerous random stops for gas in Georgia that seem like good places.

"The trip is half the fun."-Clark Griswold

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom