Living witht he Land reopening delayed until Tuesday

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
From touringplans.com

Living with the Land reopening delayed until Tuesday

The Living with the Land boat ride at the Land pavilion was scheduled to reopened from refurbishment on Sunday the 17th, but will reopen on Tuesday, September 19th, due to delays. The conversion process from live cast members on the boats giving speil to an automated speil has apparently taken longer then expected.

Additionally, we have learned that Fastpass will now only be utilized at the attraction during periods of peak attendance. The new automated speil should allow for more boats on the track and signifigantly reduce the general wait time at the attraction. Touring plans for Epcot may need to be altered in the future if the change is drastic.

Disney maintains that the change is not a loss of personal interaction and human-touch from the attraction but rather "building upon cutting edge technology that already exists within the venue."

I realy want to get my tushy over there tomorrow. But i haven't the time :(

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Actually, the attraction was open and accepting guests this afternoon.

But not this morning, thus it becomes an operational attraction "officially" tomorrow. It's like the different between grand opening and previews - but thanks for letting me know :)

Captain Hank

But not this morning, thus it becomes an operational attraction "officially" tomorrow. It's like the different between grand opening and previews - but thanks for letting me know :)
Ah, wasn't sure at which time it re-opened. I picked up an extra overtime shift that didn't start until 12:30. At that point, it was running. It was so weird actually seeing guests on the boats after having empty boats cycling through for the past two weeks or so.

Captain Hank

Is the automated spiel basically the same given by the humans? Or does it add something new to the attraction?
The automated speil retains several elements from the previous speil (sometimes word for word) with additional dialouge as well.

By the way, I just read on Mouseplanet that we had an aphid infestation that caused us to pull a majority of our plants. That's news to me! We did have a rather nasty aphid problem in our lettuce and did pull all 2,000 + heads out, but have since re-planted. Our rice plants have been unfairly accused of being the culprits (and, contrary to mouseplanet, the rice has been re-located and re-planted.) Just wanted to set the record straight :). Also, regarding that update, it's Dragon Fruit, not "Tropical Star Fruit."

TTATraveler

Captain Hank: Will the automated spiel be updated seasonally to reflect current greenhouse projects and growings (ex: pumpkins in the fall)?

Captain Hank

As of now, we a couple spiel options. There are a couple sections where there are a few alternate scripts that can be swapped in and out. However, there won't be a great deal of variation.

(And we grow several types of pumpkin year-round. Look for a mega-sized Mickey pumpkin in the relatively near future :) )

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Weird -

Doesn't the rice grow in the tiered portion of the Tropics as one of the rotating crops that show how many crops can be utilized one a small area. Or did i make that up? Then the lettuce is way over - all the way past string - just before you enter the hanging/aeroponic area and the Nasa display. So, them buggies must have traveled.

Or am i completely off?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hehe - funny thought...

Without CM's manning the boats, the Aphids took over and started joy riding while the boats were cycling.

Captain Hank

Weird -

Doesn't the rice grow in the tiered portion of the Tropics as one of the rotating crops that show how many crops can be utilized one a small area. Or did i make that up? Then the lettuce is way over - all the way past string - just before you enter the hanging/aeroponic area and the Nasa display. So, them buggies must have traveled.

Or am i completely off?
Actually, I don't believe I've ever seen a single aphid on our rice--the rice is blameless in this case. It also just took up a new residence under the peach palm across from the previous rice patch. We sometimes do get inter-greenhouse pest travel, but I don't believe this is the case. We in String have our own resident aphids.

There are actually several different types of aphid. The most prevalent ones in our greenhouses are the Cotton and Potato aphids. The much larger Potato aphids were the ones that were wreking havoc with our lettuce. After we pulled all the lettuce out, I haven't seen a single Potato aphid around. The Cotton aphids, on the other hand, are rather less destructive and jump back and forth between the Cinderella Pumpkins and the Snake Gourds.

By the way, the lettuce is right in the middle of String.

Epcot82Guy

They also wreck havoc on the banana plants! :mad: :mad: :mad:

However, to have aphids go from the rice terraces (or rice peach palm base?) to String would be huge. I would sooner think they came in from Support (backstage greenhouses) or some of the String vines. They will explode, and lettuce (or any tightly wrapped plant) makes them more difficult to treat. Now, whitefly will travel like no one's business...

Anyway, enough plant science babble! :p I am glad to hear there is some flexibility. That means they are not trying to tether a single script for a long time. If there is flexibility built in now, it can make more flexibility easier (if that is desired at some point). I look forward to seeing/hearing it in a couple weeks.

Magicot

Captain Hank, I've got a few questions for you:

1.Would you say that the attraction has improved or not with the changes?

2.Is the entire speil with a male voice?

3.Were the speils in the pre-greenhouse sets redone/revoiced?

4.Does the speil project from the boats or from the greenhouses?

5.Are there any new security features like cameras, detector pads, new restrictions on the boats?

6.Were any of the sets or video even touched?

7.Does it still have that cool worldly music at the end of the ride?

8.Does the automated speil give the ride a more futuristic feel?

Thanks for everything Captain!:wave:

Captain Hank

Captain Hank, I've got a few questions for you:

1.Would you say that the attraction has improved or not with the changes?

2.Is the entire speil with a male voice?

3.Were the speils in the pre-greenhouse sets redone/revoiced?

4.Does the speil project from the boats or from the greenhouses?

5.Are there any new security features like cameras, detector pads, new restrictions on the boats?

6.Were any of the sets or video even touched?

7.Does it still have that cool worldly music at the end of the ride?

8.Does the automated speil give the ride a more futuristic feel?

Thanks for everything Captain!:wave:
Wow.

1. I really miss the interaction that went along with the live captains. Even though they got a really bad wrap towards the end, there were still several fantastic captains that will be missed. I did have the priveledge of being on the very last boat through with a live captain. The one good thing about this is that it provides consistancy. However, it's going to be rough for us in the greenhouses hearing the exact same thing in the exact same voice every minute or so.

2. The entire greenhouse speil is in a male voice, who sounds very much like the voice of the monorail (though not quite). I have heard rumors that the voice of the monorail is our voice's agent.

3. The spiels in the rainforest/desert/prarie/barn theater have not been changed or re-recorded. It's still the same female voice.

4. The spiels originate from the boats.

5. There is a new intrusion system, comprised mainly of cameras, which are constantly monitored by a cast member. Every so often, the "Voice of God" will yell at someone for standing up or putting an hand/arm/foot/leg outside the boat. There is also a video monitor at the very beginning of the ride, with a rather stern warning to remain inside the boats at all times, or else get kicked out of Epcot.

6. Various show elements were spruced up or repaired.

7. Yup, the cool music at the end remains.

8. There's nothing that really screams "futuristic" about it, though the technology is kind of cool.

Epcot82Guy

ha ha. I didn't want to force that "educational, boring" side of Epcot on anyone. But, I'm sure Captain Hank and I can go back and forth some more about the plants, bugs, fish, etc. I sadly still remember my spiel over 3 years later! :lol: He knows very well what is there now. I can reminisce about 2002 and how it was then! Ask away!

TTARider

ha ha. I didn't want to force that "educational, boring" side of Epcot on anyone. But, I'm sure Captain Hank and I can go back and forth some more about the plants, bugs, fish, etc. I sadly still remember my spiel over 3 years later! :lol: He knows very well what is there now. I can reminisce about 2002 and how it was then! Ask away!
Any chance you'd like to type it out?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom