One Man's Dream Rehab.

lebeau

Roy wasn't treated any differently than a person who reached the age of required retirement. I used to believe the same thing, but I feel different now. Especially because he didn't attend the event on July 17, 2005 at DL.

Not true. Disney had a manadatory retirement age on the books. However, they were famous for never having enforced it. Eisner used it as a tool to manipulate the board in his war against Roy.

You are right. But keep in mind. LOST and Housewives were developed during Eisner's time.

Eisner hated Lost. He didn't want it. He wasn't thrilled about JJ Abraham's other show "Alias" because while critics loved it, it never got ratings. So he wanted no part of Lost. He also passed on Survivor and CSI among others. And he ran ABCs one hit, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, into the ground with too many shows per week.

His worst offense, however, was the ridiculous amount of money he wasted on ABC Family. Not only did he overspend by any measurement, he didn't do any research on the purchase. He had intended to use it as a way to re-package ABC programs. However, he didn't realize that legally he couldn't change the format after he bought the network. If I remember correctly, that blunder cost the company hundreds of millions.

Let's face it. Pixar was hot and is the new animation. As much as I don't like it.

Let's also not forget how Eisner chased them off. If not for his departure, we'd be stuck with Chicken Little from Disney animation and not much else.

BRER STITCH

Well, unfortunately, the One Man's dream builing is not big enough to hold everything. I don't know about the popularity of such an attraction, but Walt Disney story on Main Street is now gone, if that's any indication. One Man's Dream is just a new version of that, with some new exibits before the film.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that OMD is the right site for an expanded "Disney Museum" exhibit. The point is...there SHOULD be a place big enough to hold everything. Imagine just one exhibit with a ride vehicle from every ride that ever existed in the parks. Another room almost as big with animation cels and a real history of Disney movie making. How cool would THAT be? I think everyone gets my point.

And don't worry...Noone knows for certain how popular the attraction would be because it's never come close to existing! Past and current attempts (like OMD) do not do The Man justice, and are too watered down to capture the imagination of the folks who would really enjoy that type of exhibit the most.

My guess it would be VERY popular.

Besides that...it's the RIGHT thing to do!

:)

Chape19714

Original Poster
Please keep in mind that this thread is not for discussing Micheal Eisner or The Walt Disney Company, rather the One Man's Dream attraction at MGM Studios. If you wish to talk about the Company and former CEO, please go to Company discussion. It is a Sub-Forum on this site. Thanks! :wave:

Brer Stitch, I agree, I just don't see it happening.

DisneyRoxMySox

Not true. Disney had a manadatory retirement age on the books. However, they were famous for never having enforced it. Eisner used it as a tool to manipulate the board in his war against Roy.

It seems that you have done more homework than I have. So I beleive you.

Eisner hated Lost. He didn't want it. He wasn't thrilled about JJ Abraham's other show "Alias" because while critics loved it, it never got ratings. So he wanted no part of Lost. He also passed on Survivor and CSI among others. And he ran ABCs one hit, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, into the ground with too many shows per week.

ABC had quality shows, they just didn't get the ratings they deserved.

His worst offense, however, was the ridiculous amount of money he wasted on ABC Family. Not only did he overspend by any measurement, he didn't do any research on the purchase. He had intended to use it as a way to re-package ABC programs. However, he didn't realize that legally he couldn't change the format after he bought the network. If I remember correctly, that blunder cost the company hundreds of millions.

That was a mistake, no doubt about it.

Let's also not forget how Eisner chased them off. If not for his departure, we'd be stuck with Chicken Little from Disney animation and not much else.

As I have said before Eisner and Jobs BOTH had ego issues.

Pretty soon there will be an Eisner debate going on in every thread! There is a pretty heated one going on in at least 1 other thread!

I love the idea of a museum..I would love to see old ride vehicles and past attractions and things. That is a great idea, but unfortunetly we will probably never see it happen.

About the animation debate...I do love Pixar movies, I haven't not seen Chicken Little yet but I got the impression that you were not so fond of it. Let me just remind you that Disney Animation has produced quite a few excellent movies!

GrimGhost

...Let's also not forget how Eisner chased them off. If not for his departure, we'd be stuck with Chicken Little from Disney animation and not much else.

Lets not forget ...one thing Eisner said to two very dangerous people to the Walt Disney Company "GO AWAY!!" to both Steve Case of AOL and Brian Roberts of Comcast. Say whatever you will, were it not for Eisner, the Disney Company would be a pitiful shadow of its former self.

dandaman

I went to this world premier exibit at the Henry Ford Museum. Everything on that traveling exibit was either from the Disney Imagineering vaults. The only thing HFM owned was some pictures of Walt's trip there back in the 1930's. Greenfield Village (next to the museum) was were Walt got his inspiration for the river/island/riverboat idea for Disneyland.

That exibit not only featured the original drawings of the early sketches of Disneyland but had rare models and other elements from Disneyland (original stretch room portraits, one of the first Mr. Toad & Peter Pan ride vehicles, etc.).

On a side note: They gave out a free CD of rare, vintage park music when you entered the museum! :wave:

Also, I believe, the idea to run a train around the park. Funny that one of my favourite childhood memories was actually inspiration to Walt himself! :lol:

P.S. I have my CD somewhere... that exhibit was AWESOME. :wave:

DonnieDarko

As a One Man's Dream CM, I can answer this threads original question and that is that the lighting is being redone throughout the attraction.

Chape19714

Original Poster
As a One Man's Dream CM, I can answer this threads original question and that is that the lighting is being redone throughout the attraction.
Thanks for that! Those vests from Animator's Palate you guy's wear are awsome! Reminds me of the cruise every time! I'll try to stop in after re-opening to see the new Lighting. Is it an entirely new Lighting design?

Here's a question for you: Have you ever had to use/used the doors with the Disneyland sketch on them to keep people out of the 2nd room? It's such a cool sketch, but it's so disjointed when the doors are open (which is every time I've been!)

Agiain, there is a Walt Disney Co News and Disscussion sub-forum here. Eisner is in no way realated to the current One Man's Dream. :wave:

I really wish this film would be offered on dvd -- I would buy it in a heartbeat. I loved the old version, and look forward to seeing the update. Bruce Broughton's score is beautiful.

brkgnews

Excellent info. Thanks very much -- and thanks for working in an underappreciated, yet oh-so-important part of the parks.

I really wish this film would be offered on dvd -- I would buy it in a heartbeat. I loved the old version, and look forward to seeing the update. Bruce Broughton's score is beautiful.

Have you seen the "Walt: Man Behind the Myth" DVD? It's like a two-hour version of the film. Top notch all the way -- a great purchase. On sale all over the parks.

Have you seen the "Walt: Man Behind the Myth" DVD? It's like a two-hour version of the film. Top notch all the way -- a great purchase. On sale all over the parks.

Thanks -- and yes, I have that DVD. It is a great favorite of mine. I would still like to have "One Man's Dream" on home video as well. Maybe someday...

Scar Junior

Thanks for the info. But even more so, thanks for having one of the coolest names on the boards. Donnie Darko = one of the best films ever made... and as a film major I don't say that lightly. Everyone on this board should like it...

lebeau

It seems that you have done more homework than I have. So I beleive you.

I'll tell you that most of the things I posted were from James Stewart's excellent book "Disneywar". If you are interested, it's a fascinating read. I highly recommend checking it out.

As I have said before Eisner and Jobs BOTH had ego issues.

I'm sure that's true. My only point was that Eisner has a documented history of partnering with talented people and then alienating them when they threaten his spotlight. Over his tenure at Disney, it cost the company dearly. In the case of Jeffrey Katzenberg, it literally cost them in a multi-million dollar lawsuit. In the case of the Winstein brothers and Miramax, it's hard to put a price on what it cost Disney. In the case of Pixar and Steve Jobs, I think it would have been crippling to Disney's future in animation.

Thank goodness that was averted.

I'll get off my Eisner soap box now. I don't want to hi-jack the thread completely.

lebeau

Lets not forget ...one thing Eisner said to two very dangerous people to the Walt Disney Company "GO AWAY!!" to both Steve Case of AOL and Brian Roberts of Comcast. Say whatever you will, were it not for Eisner, the Disney Company would be a pitiful shadow of its former self.

I will grant you that Eisner did some good during his tenure. He was definitely a mixed bag. I tend to think that were it not for Eisner's blunders during the later parts of his tenure, that take-over bid would never have been viable. But we'll never know for sure.

Regardless, I'm glad that he was removed from One Man's Dream (see, I'm bringing the Eisner-talk back to the main topic ;) ). He was an important and controversial part of the company's past. But he's of the past and it's good that Disney and OMD can move on to the present and the future.

Scar Junior

I will grant you that Eisner did some good during his tenure. He was definitely a mixed bag. I tend to think that were it not for Eisner's blunders during the later parts of his tenure, that take-over bid would never have been viable. But we'll never know for sure.

Regardless, I'm glad that he was removed from One Man's Dream (see, I'm bringing the Eisner-talk back to the main topic ;) ). He was an important and controversial part of the company's past. But he's of the past and it's good that Disney and OMD can move on to the present and the future.

Well said. I'll have what he's having....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom