"We only found one ride in Epcot"

DisJosh

Original Poster
That's what a co-worker said to me today. :eek: She just returned from her first trip to WDW. Asside from only riding Test Track in Epcot she managed to completely skip AK and the Studios. She is also under the impression Universal is part of Disney World. I'm not good at not sounding rude when I start spewing Disney info so I just kept my mouth shut and smiled.

I know she had fun but I cringe just thinking about all the fun that was missed. How does someone spend so much money on a vacation like this and not bother to do any sort of research on their destination?

The worst for me is that the high point of her trip seemed to be that they had cable and wireless internet in the off property condo they rented. :brick:

justducky78

Ugh...I know, that drives me nuts! My husband and I are the resident disney planners for our friends, family and co-workers and when someone comes back and says they missed something or decided to stay offsite or ate at ONLY the counter-service restaurants, it drives us crazy!! We feel like yelling, why didn't you take our advice?!!

I feel for you...some people will just never experience Disney the way we (or you) experience it.

The most recent one that's killing me...my sister lives in CA but comes home to visit often (twice already this year and I'll see her again in June) but for whatever reason she was still hoping we'd go out there to visit her. We had already booked our big vacation to WDW (last trip 2003) and she got so upset with us. She said to me "there's a Disneyland out here, it's the same thing." I couldn't even respond -- I mean, how do you respond to that?

Honestly, I think we just need to accept that some people will just never get it and be grateful that you do. :p

Pioneer Hall

Yeah I am like that too...it bothers me in a sense that people don't use all these resources at their fingertips. Spending an hour at disneyworld.com will give you a lot of information about where you are about to go. You can even buy a 15 dollar travel guide that will tell you about everything too...I just don't understand it.

DisJosh

Original Poster
I can accept it and I am greatful. :D

But it still baffles me how you miss an entire park full of attractions. :lookaroun

DigitalDisney

That's the lamest thing I've ever heard...

Between Epcot's big three (TT, MS, and Soarin), they only consider one of them a ride? I'd bet it was Test Track because you can't miss it. That's about the only ride that you can see plain as day.

Ugh. I got mad just writing this short response. Ha

MansionFan415

Well that's right up there, when I as a cast member at MK, with the people who used to grab the guie maps, see the parade route, and ask, "Is this the way we're supposed to around the park?"

Yes it is folks, you enjoy Main Street, a small portion of Liberty Square, and Adventureland and then GET OUT!:lol:

MansionFan415

DigitalDisney said:
That's the lamest thing I've ever heard...

Between Epcot's big three (TT, MS, and Soarin), they only consider one of them a ride? I'd bet it was Test Track because you can't miss it. That's about the only ride that you can see plain as day.

Ugh. I got mad just writing this short response. Ha

Well, think about it though...how can you miss SpaceShip Earth?:brick:

Firewolfe51

I have a very good friend that just returned from his honeymoon.(AND MY WIFE AND I HELPED THEM PLAN WITH ROOMS AND TICKETS) anyway they stayed a week and all total they spent less than 10 hours total in the parks. Here again all they did was walk around the MK on monday and i told them to stay away from the MK on mondays. Then went to epcot and only walked around and not all the way around. They went to the right at world showcase and to Canada to eat and left! On top of all this they got 6 day tickets without EXP. so three days got wasted. Here is the best they stayed at the Contemporary MK side ------------no pics to bring home said they didn't even sit down on the patio ,it just about killed me.-------- AND no i ask they were not doing "HONEYMOON STUFF" either. They took off to a golf shop then to an outlet mall and to mcdonalds just things like that. Bottom line i ask was it fun? The responce "AW IT WAS OK IT SEEMED LIKE A LOT OF MONEY" THEY HAVE NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

yensidtlaw1969

MansionFan415 said:
Well, think about it though...how can you miss SpaceShip Earth?:brick:
You'd be suprised at how many people I've talked to about SSE replied with a "There's a RIDE in there!?!?!?!". It makes me feel kinda queasy knowing what they missed, but I burn it into their minds that next time they go back they are GOING to see it.

yensidtlaw1969

brertigger

MansionFan415 said:
Well that's right up there, when I as a cast member at MK, with the people who used to grab the guie maps, see the parade route, and ask, "Is this the way we're supposed to around the park?"

Yes it is folks, you enjoy Main Street, a small portion of Liberty Square, and Adventureland and then GET OUT!:lol:

Well, it does keep the Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Frontierland lines down. :sohappy:

DisneyPhD

My brother went for 2 days with his 10 year old son. They didn't get much done at all, but most of it was the fault of my 10 year old nephew. He did get on buzz light year, the major goal of the trip. I did type out a plan of action for them, explaned fast pass and told them the not to miss rides (and what to do 1st.) Oh well, you can lead a horse to water..................

As far as buying a book, you can get a free DVD that is just great and easy.

I know what you mean about not being able to be "nice" when talking to people who don't know........ It takes a lot of patience. :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My first long trip was in 98 and I did no research whatsoever. We got length of stay passes when we could have bought an AP for less. We stayed at All Star Sports at rack rates when we could have stayed at a moderate for about the same price with an AP discount. Had it not been for a sign at the check in counter I never would have known about the resort guest preview of AK. When I think of all the money wasted and things left undone on that 5 day trip it just makes me sick to my stomach.
But I learned from my mistakes. When we did the Disney cruise I researched it for nearly a year. There was no stone left unturned on that vacation.

musketeer

While I don't consider myself as crazy as most people on here when it comes to Disney World, I do agree, some people really just don't get it.

I've been to Disney World back in 2002, and will be going again later this summer, so every 3 or 4 years for me. But back in 2002, I told some of my friends from southern California I was going, and they said, "you know, they have one of those here, so if you came to this one, you could see us." And then just recently, within the past few weeks, I told my friends at work that I was planning on visiting this summer, and one of the responses was: "why don't you just go to Cedar Point, it's closer."

Now I do agree that if you are looking for thrill rides only, then yeah, you'll probably be disappointed in Disney World and that Cedar Point is for you. And I do understand that people see things differently, because to be honest, I think going to Disney World more than once a year is a bit too much.

To me, it isn't frustrating when someone legimately disagrees, but when someone disagrees based completely on misconception, that is when frustration takes over. Someone telling me what is wrong with someplace when they have never been there is when I have a problem.

I like taking cruises, been on 3 in the past 4 years, and I get static all the time from others at work about it. "Why would anyone want to go on a cruise?" "Why would someone your age (mid 20's) want to take a cruise?" Of course, none of them have been...very frustrating.

lawyergirl77

I saw this very thing happening with a whole bunch of people that DH and I bumped into last December (i.e. wasting of a perfectly wonderful vacation). We were having our last dinner at the Garden Grill, when I heard a bunch of Quebecers yapping around us, complaining about the price of food and how they couldn't get in anywhere "decent". I turned around, and tried to help them out, but all they wanted to do was complain...

I wrote down a whole bunch of restaurant options for them, gave them a whole bunch of touring tips, and I told them to go and see the concierge at POR to make the reservations... Somehow, I doubt they took my advice and that the look of revulsion on the father's face when I told them what they should do for their next trip to the world (as if such a horror was unimaginable) stayed there for the rest of their trip... :hammer:

I know we always say "Who cares? One less person in line before me for [insert favourite ride here]" but it still makes me sad to see people essentially waste money so needlessly when they could get such value if they just opened their eyes. *sigh*

Rora

I know someone who went to Epcot and didn't even realize World Showcase was there. So all they did was Future World. And this was many years ago when SSE was the big ride. I love Epcot but, man that must have been a boring visit! *shudder*

justducky78

I totally understand the "different strokes for different folks" but we could go down to WDW and not even do the parks and be just as happy. I could hang out at the resorts, restaurants, spas, pools and have a very relaxing vacation.

This is the first time we'll be doing WDW twice in one year, as we like traveling all over the place and doing WDW and another big trip every year just isn't feasible for us, but there are few places (like WDW) that keep us coming back.

I like thrill rides but that's not why we go...it's the whole package we like. And the fact that WDW is it's only little world, and you feel so far removed from reality when you enter. Just the tree-lined drive from the airport gets us excited! I would never go to Cedar Point for a whole week or ten days! Maybe 1-2 days at most.

That's why DL just doesn't cut it. I've only visited Downtown Disney at Disneyland (no time for the whole park at the time) and it just didn't have the same feel at all. When we drove through Anaheim and up to Disneyland, I was in shock. It was surrounded by fast food restaurants and seedy hotels. Not at all what I expected. DL to me is something you do in a day, not a week. It reminded me of the Six Flags near us. Not what I picture when I'm planning a vacation!

So, I guess when people don't get the full experience at WDW (or don't enjoy it like we do), I get frustrated and don't understand it.

Obviously, a lot of others feel the same way. :D

NadieMasK2

It really only bothers me if they are saying bad things about WDW, spreading untruths about the parks. If they wasted their money, I figure that's their own fault for not doing the research. BUT, don't go around telling everyone how boring it was or how expensive it was or how there were only kiddie rides, etc, if you didn't have a clue what was available in the parks for you to experience and enjoy. Going once and missing all the key attractions and experiences does not make you an expert!!:fork:

(Falls off her soap box now)

d'Isigny

DisJosh said:
That's what a co-worker said to me today. :eek: She just returned from her first trip to WDW. Asside from only riding Test Track in Epcot she managed to completely skip AK and the Studios. She is also under the impression Universal is part of Disney World. I'm not good at not sounding rude when I start spewing Disney info so I just kept my mouth shut and smiled.

I know she had fun but I cringe just thinking about all the fun that was missed. How does someone spend so much money on a vacation like this and not bother to do any sort of research on their destination?

The worst for me is that the high point of her trip seemed to be that they had cable and wireless internet in the off property condo they rented. :brick:

Amateurs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom