News Walt Disney Company plans to spend $17 billion at Walt Disney World over the next ten years

matt9112

I wouldn’t buy so much into this theory. Also the content isn’t “pointless” it’s building into a narrative, just a lot more content than Phase 1 & 2 of the MCU.
A narrative that has a lot less appeal than disney thinks. All this B tier story building stuff could be accomplished with a comic book or two. I can bet which option is cheaper.

It is a concerted effort to push all this B and C tier entertainment to “build the brand” but there clearly not getting a good ROI.

MagicHappens1971

Don’t they have to somehow figure out how to afford Hulu soon? Isn’t Comcast in a place to deal some serious pain? I don’t think they have liquid for the buy out so I assume some stock will be used as well.
Honestly I think the company’s footing is far weaker than many lead on. But I’m not expert.
They don't have to buy Hulu. They have the opportunity to, and they most likely will. They have ~$10B in cash on hand at the moment. Comcast's share buyout is guaranteed to be $9B.

matt9112

They don't have to buy Hulu. They have the opportunity to, and they most likely will. They have ~$10B in cash on hand at the moment. Comcast's share buyout is guaranteed to be $9B.

But you don’t spend all your liquid on an option no? Isn’t there room for Comcast to drive up the price to inflict some pain and suffering?

MagicHappens1971

But you don’t spend all your liquid on an option no? Isn’t there room for Comcast to drive up the price to inflict some pain and suffering?
Disney guaranteed Comcast a minimum of a $9B price for their share. Not sure how this will play out and if they'll get more than that.

There's also stock.

Disney bought Lucasfilm with nearly ~$2B worth of stock, with the rest in cash.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You could just say poor business environment. No need to sugar coat it. In any case somehow under the same state government universal is building an entire new park…. So is it really a Florida problem? I suppose you could say Florida is targeting disney but you could also say disney never wants to be a team player. What happened to sun rail or bright line for example? I think both sides of the argument could have been easily avoided.
Just ask the Governor….or buy a copy of his book. He will tell you he is targeting Disney. No need to suppose.
I don’t know all the specifics but I believe Comcast could force Disney to buy their stake in Hulu for around $9B or Disney could force Comcast to sell at current market value (from an independent valuation). I don’t think Comcast can drive up the price to inflict pain and I can’t see why they would want. They don’t want to be left with a minority interest in Hulu. They want out a lot more than Disney wants in. Disney can borrow $9B without any issue. They can also use cash on hand. I don’t see them issuing stock to pay for it, but they have that option too. Disney’s liquidity far exceeds the 10B of cash on hand.
They’ll finance it anyway, they have a nearly unlimited access to credit
:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

MagicHappens1971

I can’t see why they would want. They don’t want to be left with a minority interest in Hulu. They want out a lot more than Disney wants in. Disney can borrow $9B without any issue. They can also use cash on hand. I don’t see them issuing stock to pay for it, but they have that option too. Disney’s liquidity far exceeds the 10B of cash on hand.

:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:
They’ve got like $200B in assets, they can afford to buy Hulu out. I don’t know why anyone would want to paint the picture that they can’t.

SpectreJordan

I wouldn’t buy so much into this theory. Also the content isn’t “pointless” it’s building into a narrative, just a lot more content than Phase 1 & 2 of the MCU.
I've been a huge fan of the MCU since day one (opening night of Iron Man, baby) & the quality has definitely gone downhill in the past 3 years.

I think the biggest problem is that we don't really have a core group of characters to follow anymore. The first saga had us follow Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Widow, Hulk, Ant-Man & the Guardians. We got to see them grow & develop, we generally had an idea of when we'd see them again too.

There's been so many different projects now that we don't know when we'll see these characters again. Dr Strange: MoM ended on a cliffhanger AC scene but we don't know when Strange 3 is. Shang-Chi was a big hit but we don't know when he's getting a sequel. It's making things very unsatisfying because we're just bouncing from character to character without seeing any real arcs or development.

They should be focusing on Dr Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Shang-Chi, Ms Marvel & Moon Knight. The latter two should've been given the theatrical treatment to make them feel more important too, this coming from someone who liked both shows.

Stuff like Eternals, Widow, Thor 4, Ant-Man 3, Agatha, etc... should've been cut so that we'd get to see the "main characters" again sooner.

To not be totally off topic, a lot of these newer MCU faces are characters they can use at WDW. If we saw them more consistently then it'd be an easier sell to have them be the faces of a Marvel land at WDW.

EPCOT-O.G.

Generally speaking, the markets react favorably to job cuts when done to cut costs. Disney’s canceled SWGS, Lake Nona, AND followed through with their job cuts, and the stock is still falling fast.

1685024859144.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
She checks the boxes…

They really need two. The creative rot after 20 years of a non-creative at the top shows where it goes.

They need a tandem. Best years we’re with a tandem.

How dare you call The Great and Exalted Robert Iger "non-creative"!!! He bought things! "More trees", remember??? He's extremely creative (according to all the PR put out by Zenia "The Hitwoman" Mucha over the years).

I'm not sure why anyone is questioning if Disney can afford to buy the remaining stake in Hulu. Red herring. Comcast will have a lot of new money to play with next year...

And I, for one, never expected this alleged-$17 billion to amount to much, because it was always "a planned" level of spending with zero substance behind it that could easily be altered "based on market conditions". When you've been conditioned by Bob to set the bar low, it's fairly easy to do so and see how things play out to meet it.

Casper Gutman

A narrative that has a lot less appeal than disney thinks. All this B tier story building stuff could be accomplished with a comic book or two. I can bet which option is cheaper.

It is a concerted effort to push all this B and C tier entertainment to “build the brand” but there clearly not getting a good ROI.
Iron Man and Cap and the other Avengers (except for Hulk) were B/C tier - that’s why Marvel retained the rights. Guardians were about E tier. Right now there building up a lot of the newer characters who are prominent in the comics but unfamiliar to older non-comics reader - figures like the new Hawkeye and Widow (both of whom are much more appealing then there MCU predecessors) and the incredibly charming Ms Marvel.

Vegas Disney Fan

Iron Man and Cap and the other Avengers (except for Hulk) were B/C tier - that’s why Marvel retained the rights. Guardians were about E tier. Right now there building up a lot of the newer characters who are prominent in the comics but unfamiliar to older non-comics reader - figures like the new Hawkeye and Widow (both of whom are much more appealing then there MCU predecessors) and the incredibly charming Ms Marvel.

Hopefully once they start intertwining storylines it’ll come together, right now it feels very disjointed.

The first set of movies felt like they were in the same time and space, right now the new set doesn’t feel connected at all.

The closest thing to a merge has been the Ant Man dinner show on the Wish, other than that I don’t think I’ve seen any of the current crop of characters share a screen.

Ayla

How dare you call The Great and Exalted Robert Iger "non-creative"!!! He bought things! "More trees", remember??? He's extremely creative (according to all the PR put out by Zenia "The Hitwoman" Mucha over the years).

I'm not sure why anyone is questioning if Disney can afford to buy the remaining stake in Hulu. Red herring. Comcast will have a lot of new money to play with next year...

And I, for one, never expected this alleged-$17 billion to amount to much, because it was always "a planned" level of spending with zero substance behind it that could easily be altered "based on market conditions". When you've been conditioned by Bob to set the bar low, it's fairly easy to do so and see how things play out to meet it.
I'm a semi-Iger fan and in no way can he be considered a creative. (Yes, I know your first paragraph was sarcasm.)

Casper Gutman

Hopefully once they start intertwining storylines it’ll come together, right now it feels very disjointed.

The first set of movies felt like they were in the same time and space, right now the new set doesn’t feel connected at all.

The closest thing to a merge has been the Ant Man dinner show on the Wish, other than that I don’t think I’ve seen any of the current crop of characters share a screen.
I suspect Secret Invasion into Cap 4 into Thunderbolts will seem like one big story arc. I also think they’ll take things back down to good old, one-dimensional Earth, which is what the MCU needs right now. Marvels is a bit of an outlier, but I suspect that’ll be a fairly straightforward space adventure. I’d be be surprised if we got much back into the multi-dimensional/ Kang stuff until Fantastic Four in 25.

I do think it may have been a mistake not to continue capping phases with Avengers films, since that is where a lot of the crossover, inter character drama takes place, but they clearly want the next Avengers to be a great big narrative moment - the heroic revival of a dead organization.

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm a semi-Iger fan and in no way can he be considered a creative. (Yes, I know your first paragraph was sarcasm.)
Is he a Lasseter or a Jobs or a Disney? No. But in terms of the lanes of corporate advancement, he came from the TV side, not, say, Heinz or P&G or Gillette. So from that standpoint, he is more entrenched in the “creative” side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom