News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So it's a tax write-off?
An accelerated one.

Depreciation for a capital expense usually takes years (like 8-10). By closing it, they can take it all at once.

Depreciation is a tax benefit. So, yes, it's a tax write-off. But one that would have happened anyway over time.

Iger needs in the next two quarters to show significant positives on the financials to overcome Wall Street's new found reticence about streaming (even tho they're all agreeing the linear/cable is dying, and streaming will eventually take over the home entertainment market, so they're dinging Disney for not having a more profitable streaming and for having a decreased revenue from linear/cable).

He also needs to build up a few Billion dollars to buy out Comcast from Hulu and not have that freak out Wall Street... who just want their dividends back.

DCLcruiser

Not directed at your post personally, but this idea made me chuckle: "I don't see the problem. It's like any other resort, just without windows."

At any rate, I assume it's not cost-effective to keep such a small hotel running without the show unless they continued to charge an exorbitant price. Not sure also how you would integrate such a small, boutique hotel into the WDW transportation network. All I can think of is a dedicated shuttle to the DHS transportation hub.
I think of it like inside-staterooms on a cruise. They have no windows. On the newer DCL ships they have digital portholes that show a video image with interactive starfish. So, the same idea could be used here. Just put a screen, that looks like a window (might already exist, I have not been) that looks out onto Batuu from orbit, etc. Think Space 220 in each room.

DCLcruiser

They're taking full depreciation on it for Q3 and Q4.

To me: That says it will sit empty for a few years.
This is like WoL all over again. They could easily use the building for something related. The high cost is the actors, right? So, just use normal cast members from the Contemporary. They are already used to a more futuristic hotel.

kingdead

An accelerated one.

Depreciation for a capital expense usually takes years (like 8-10). By closing it, they can take it all at once.

Depreciation is a tax benefit. So, yes, it's a tax write-off. But one that would have happened anyway over time.

Iger needs in the next two quarters to show significant positives on the financials to overcome Wall Street's new found reticence about streaming (even tho they're all agreeing the linear/cable is dying, and streaming will eventually take over the home entertainment market, so they're dinging Disney for not having a more profitable streaming and for having a decreased revenue from linear/cable).

He also needs to build up a few Billion dollars to buy out Comcast from Hulu and not have that freak out Wall Street... who just want their dividends back.
Thanks for the business lesson! So the Starcruiser hotel is like my car, only less valuable in use. (I wonder if they can use it for storage or a crash pad for tired employees?)

MoonRakerSCM

Some reports going around that imagineers were actively trying to suggest fixes for the starcruiser leading up to it's cancellation. Good to see smarter people made the call to shut it down. Having Mandolorian themed cruises likely would have only seen a minimal speedbump in the downward spiral of the concept.

GimpYancIent

Kylo Ren was not happy with the Galactic Star Cruiser and the rebel scum frequenting it .........
1685535251283.png

GimpYancIent

I read on another forum that the remaining cruises before they close this sold out within 12 hours of the announcement.
It really does not matter what venue it is once there is an announcement, what ever the venue is, will be closed, shuttered or shut down there will be a rush, sudden desire, a significance to being on the last ride, experience or voyage.

TP2000

As far as the rate of full bookings is slowing down... that could be just a function of the price, and Disney is running out of whales. If so, that could easily be fixed by slowly discounting the price finding a new cohort's price point.

But so far, full bookings have mostly been in place for the upcoming next three months... that's been steady. Long term bookings have always been relatively not-booked-up.

And yes, that's a sign that it isn't crazily popular. But always having the next three months fully book isn't a sign that nobody likes it, either and it's failing.

Tell me, how did bookings slowing down shortly after opening work out again? 🤔

It's AMAAAZING.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom