Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - Classic or Not

Is SRS a classic?

• Total voters

TheCoasterNerd

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Must say, it is a classic to me. @imagineer97 doesn't seem to think so, though, as he said this
Whether it was budget cuts or not, it LOOKS cheap, and it would be cooler with full sets in every scene. I disagree that the cutouts are classic. MIB: Alien Attack at Universal is awesome because there are so many three-dimensional set-pieces and characters.
and
Like you said, Buzz needs to be blown off the face of the Earth
Space Ranger Spin should've become a Stitch shooter years ago. Just make it high quality instead of all of those stupid cutouts like SRS has.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Ok, I referring to the merits of the whole attraction, just that the cutouts are lame. But since you asked...

I think that with the right idea, SRS could be replaced. I think how much I would miss it would depend greatly on what it was replaced with. If they put in a screen shooter like Webslingers, NO WAY. With Disney's current track record of filling vacant space in Tomorrowland (on either coast, frankly), I would say SRS needs to stay for now.

TheCoasterNerd

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think anything that's almost as old as DAK should be considered a classic. Did you know that it opened November 3, 1998? Given that it's nearly as old as the newest WDW gate and has stood the test of time, remaining popular with the average tourist (despite not necessarily for mega-fans like us, I think that automatically that makes it at least somewhat of a classic. Right?

TheCoasterNerd

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just asked a substitute teacher of mine in my AVID elective. She said she's only been to DLParis but Buzz was her favorite ride in the whole park, it's competitive, it's fun, and it's colorful and artistic (her words, not mine)

JIMINYCR

You could call it a classic because it fits the criteria that it’s been in existence long enough. It’s old school where there’s not a techie element of video screens, musical accompaniment, flash bangs to bring in excitement, or up to date ride vehicles and weaponry. It has needed an upgrade and clean up for a long long time. It fills a void in Tomorrowland and eats up people. I’d rather do it than do nothing.

TheCoasterNerd

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think Buzz is a ton of fun, I do it all the time. But I know Disney can do something more high quality than what we currently have.
Dude. It's a ride about toys. It's supposed to be cutout-like. I agree that the ride mechanics/vehicle/weapon are outdated but as the show sets go it's really high-quality. Maybe it'd be better in Toy Story Land than in Tomorrowland but overall it's not that bad

Musical Mermaid

I don't know how we're supposed to define classic, but whether it is or not, I see it as outdated in a not charming way and think it should be replaced. I'm not a fan of the shooting rides in general, but the guns always have problems leading to broken down ride vehicles and everything shows its age of cheap late 90s replacement. The Men in Black ride at Universal is almost just as old, but is a better attraction. I'd think that would be a push for Disney to do better. I'm not a fan of either franchise, but just being able to pick up the guns and aim where you want to is a huge improvement.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I don't know how we're supposed to define classic, but whether it is or not, I see it as outdated in a not charming way and think it should be replaced. I'm not a fan of the shooting rides in general, but the guns always have problems leading to broken down ride vehicles and everything shows its age of cheap late 90s replacement. The Men in Black ride at Universal is almost just as old, but is a better attraction. I'd think that would be a push for Disney to do better. I'm not a fan of either franchise, but just being able to pick up the guns and aim where you want to is a huge improvement.
I'm a little shocked that they haven't replaced the WDW version's mounted push-button guns with Disneyland's pick-up-and-shoot trigger guns. It would improve the ride experience by 50% in my opinion.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
I have experienced both of these Buzz rides. At DLR it's called Astro Blasters. The rides are nearly identical with one exception; the guns. At DLR, they are on cords that rest in a cradle. When you pull it out of the cradle you can aim it in any direction (in addition to rotating the whole car). At MK, the gun is mounted into the cradle permanently and swivels back and forth and rocks up and down. This is a less free aiming method and, for me, it affects the fun. These rides are cheesy fun. Classic? No, but worth keeping. If they modified the ride at MK to match the other one I'd love it. That's my .02. =]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom