Official Splash Mountain Memorial Thread

TomboyJanet

Original Poster
Since Splash is now a past attraction in the US, or will soon to be after May, I figured this could be a general YAY SPLASH MOUNTAIN thread to share memories, photos, discuss how it will compare once the new ride opens etc.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The colors of the sets, the catchiness of the soundtrack, the wonderful animatronics... I'll miss them all. I've been fortunate enough to ride all three versions: in Florida, California, and Tokyo but of course the Magic Kingdom version was the most accessible to me.

My fondest memory of the ride was rope dropping it on a cold, rainy morning in February 2016, getting the first ride of the day all to myself (pictured below), and going on to ride it five more times during my day at MK despite the weather. I ended up buying a Splash Mountain sweatshirt from the gift shop because the cold weather was starting to get to me.
0062B5EB-629B-4A73-A236-67A214E165B6_1_105_c.jpeg

TomboyJanet

Original Poster
I remember when we first rode it we told my brother that the log stops and he can get off before the drop and as we went up we were like oops wrong boat!

Going soon to get my last ride in Cali

Last edited:

RunForestRun

Love Tiana, but it seems a bit weird to put her in Frontierland. I guess they are willing to change anything if a couple of overly sensitive people are offended by it.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Splash was an important ride to me because of family. I don't remember doing very many things as a kid with my parents as most of what I remember are things like parades, Spaceship Earth, trams, and resorts, but I do remember riding Splash with my dad. Undoubtedly we rode other stuff but Splash is all I remember, hence I have more sentimental attachment.

When I my first kid, I talked it up for a while and my daughter chose it as her first real "big kid" (minimum height) ride, so I have a lot of memories with her. She's only 7 so it's not like it's been years and years, but it means that most of experiences overlapped with the pandemic. There were times during the pandemic that things were so slow that we were riding alone and were able to talk freely about the attraction without worrying about dampening someone else's experience.

The best times were in 2020 when everything was fixed up a last time during the pandemic closures and most effects and animatronics seemed to work well thereafterin summer and fall 2020. Our last ride in December 2022 was a bit bittersweet because instead of taking the queue slowly I noticed a gap behind us so we walked faster and got our own log for our last ride and photo.

TomboyJanet

Original Poster
Love Tiana, but it seems a bit weird to put her in Frontierland. I guess they are willing to change anything if a couple of overly sensitive people are offended by it.
The weird thing is that I feel more people are offended by removing Splash. An African American mother saw my Brer Rabbit doll and told me how much her family loved him and how their so heartbroken that their fav ride is going away. It makes me wonder just who was this really for?

celluloid

The weird thing is that I feel more people are offended by removing Splash. An African American mother saw my Brer Rabbit doll and told me how much her family loved him and how their so heartbroken that their fav ride is going away. It makes me wonder just who was this really for?

The Executives who knew a Tiana Disney Plus series was going into production.

RunForestRun

I concur, I think it is all a secret ploy of Disney to racebait.

When they actually want to get rid of it because of financial reasons. Splash Mountain has a lot of animatronics they don't want to keep maintenancing. So they are doing their usual spin on things to try to make themselves look good. They've done the same thing with Little Mermaid and the Reva Show (aka Obi Wan).

zipadee999

I concur, I think it is all a secret ploy of Disney to racebait.

When they actually want to get rid of it because of financial reasons. Splash Mountain has a lot of animatronics they don't want to keep maintenancing. So they are doing their usual spin on things to try to make themselves look good. They've done the same thing with Little Mermaid and the Reva Show (aka Obi Wan).
You’re completely right! They’ll claim that it’s because the ride is so ‘offensive’ but I think that it’s likely the same reason the OG subs went away at DL. They didn’t want to keep maintaining the animatronics so they needed an excuse for a cheap overlay that gets rid of 90% of them

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
I never got to go on this, because I was scared of the drop. I've been on multiple log flumes since then, and I can reassure you I would've loved it. My brother was probs one of the last riders, as he went in January 2023 and rode it.

Has anyone seen that pic of the guy with a sword riding it? IYKYK. Made 12 year old me CRACK UP.

KE97Sg.jpg

I never got to go on this, because I was scared of the drop. I've been on multiple log flumes since then, and I can reassure you I would've loved it. My brother was probs one of the last riders, as he went in January 2023 and rode it.

Has anyone seen that pic of the guy with a sword riding it? IYKYK. Made 12 year old me CRACK UP.
yep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom