Do you think Grand Floridian would be a good fit?

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Adults only just my sister and myself.

We love Poly but want to take advantage of the 35% room rate discount and Poly is only 10% off.
Basically we would be paying $100 more per night for Poly than we would for GF!

While we have been trying to make it a point to try new resorts I'm just iffy about whether GF is too "stuffy".
We considered AKL but we really love the monorail resorts for MK, like Capt. Cook's and would like to go to Trader Sam's and those things would be much easier if staying at GF.

So I'm just wondering... is GF good for adults that would appreciate a relatively quieter more relaxed resort experience but still want to feel like you're in the magic?
Is it "stuffy" feeling or more like "Disney luxury"?

Weather_Lady

I used to think GF looked stuffy and dated based on the in-room photos and video tours of what seemed to me to resemble "1980s Victorian replica" style, but not anymore! The recent refurb has changed my opinion for the better. We're actually spending half of our August split stay in a GF DVC resort studio, and I'm very excited about it.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Speaking as a Poly gal (as you may have guessed by my name and avatar) ~

I have stayed at the GF many times over the last 20 years and never understood its "stuffy" reputation. The CMs are as friendly, polite and approachable as at other resorts. The lobby areas in each outer building are beautiful and welcoming. The pool chairs have thicker cushions than at other deluxe resorts. Both pool bars are great and have attendants for food and drink (though you can choose to serve yourself.)

The new guests rooms are modern and gorgeous. You won't regret staying in a lagoon view room (price difference from garden view is only a few dollars per night and worth it for the scenery and solitude.)

And as you said you cannot beat the convenience of being on the monorail line.

Disney Glimpses

As others have said, this common sentiment is not true. I'm not sure why but it has become a common misconception about the resort (likely by people who haven't even stayed there). It's a beautiful resort with walking distance to the Magic Kingdom. You'll find the same guests at the Grand Floridian as you will any of the other resorts :)

I also wouldn't consider the Grand Floridian "quiet" (if that's what you're looking for). It's a pretty hustling/bustling resort with a lot of golf carts zipping about the outdoor paths, kids playing in the water playground and pool, etc. But it's my favorite resort on property by far.

KaliSplash

Adults only just my sister and myself.

We love Poly but want to take advantage of the 35% room rate discount and Poly is only 10% off.
Basically we would be paying $100 more per night for Poly than we would for GF!

While we have been trying to make it a point to try new resorts I'm just iffy about whether GF is too "stuffy".
We considered AKL but we really love the monorail resorts for MK, like Capt. Cook's and would like to go to Trader Sam's and those things would be much easier if staying at GF.

So I'm just wondering... is GF good for adults that would appreciate a relatively quieter more relaxed resort experience but still want to feel like you're in the magic?
Disney luxury

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The Grand Floridian suffers from a transportation issue. Unless you're going to ride the boat to Magic Kingdom, you're at the tail end of most of the routes so the busses and monorails are full.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The Grand Floridian suffers from a transportation issue. Unless you're going to ride the boat to Magic Kingdom, you're at the tail end of most of the routes so the busses and monorails are full.
Monorail in the morning - standing room only
Never had an issue with full buses to DHS or
AK in the morning. Typically Poly and GF don’t share buses to those parks until late morning, when the rush is over.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I used to think GF looked stuffy and dated based on the in-room photos and video tours of what seemed to me to resemble "1980s Victorian replica" style, but not anymore! The recent refurb has changed my opinion for the better. We're actually spending half of our August split stay in a GF DVC resort studio, and I'm very excited about it.
Ooh what are your dates? O thonk we have settled on the week of August 7th.

Tiki Traveler

We stayed at the Grand Floridian in August 2019 and even our teenage children loved it, so no I would not consider it stuffy. Enjoy watching MK fireworks outside in front of Gasparilla Grille!

Touchdown

I book the cheapest monorail room, usually that means a Garden Wing Contemporary room, but GF is very nice and not stuffy. Haven’t stayed at the Poly since 1989, it’s never on sale.

durangojim

Like other's have said, the GF is great. I would argue that no resort on WDW property including the 4S is stuffy, the only person that can make the resort feel stuffy is you. Try it I'm betting you'll really love it. Also It's one of the only resorts where you can see the fireworks from the pool which is something really awesome!

JIMINYCR

GF has always suffered from the mistaken illusion that it’s stuffy. Because of the sort of non character Disney theming, the piano and musical cast and the cost involved for stays and dining it’s been cast as the resort for the upper class and those looked upon as stuffy. It’s meant to be set apart from other resorts and showcase a type of stay above others. That illusion has helped and at the same time hurt the attraction of guests.
Anyone booking a stay there can have just as much enjoyment and attention as at any other resort. Many families stay there with and without kids so it’s not just an adult resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom