News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Number 2 doesn't exist. Of course we all care.
Not all...

Blah blah blah blah water tower, blah blah blah.

Hey Disney...maybe tell us oh .... ANY reason we should be remotely excited for this

Charita, I can hear you. You can tone it down.

I love how they are acting like the water tower being built is some sort of great achievement as if we never seen disney build the Earful towers or the Disney Springs tower, or even the explodey tower in Catastrophe canyon or as it's now known CARS-tastrophe....canyon.... ugh

DBF John

FAA Map Info flying over WDW

Attachments

• FAA Map.jpg
    FAA Map.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 62
  • FAA Restriction.jpg
    FAA Restriction.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 61
  • FAA Notes.jpg
    FAA Notes.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 59

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I love how they are acting like the water tower being built is some sort of great achievement as if we never seen disney build the Earful towers or the Disney Springs tower, or even the explodey tower in Catastrophe canyon or as it's now known CARS-tastrophe....canyon.... ugh

We shouldn't be surprised, this is the same company that held a press event for new benches at Fantasmic.

yensidtlaw1969

The first post in this thread says is for discussion of Tiana's Bayou Adventure, no where does it say it is limited to positive discussion.
Perhaps I should have been more clear . . . this thread is dedicated to "construction progress, new storyline details, and other details specific to Tiana's Bayou Adventure" - That, I presume, may include legitimate criticism of the attraction as it develops, but need not include histrionic fabrications the likes of which have sent nearly every other thread around the changeover of this ride into tailspin.

Complaining about things that haven't happened or won't be happening just for the sake of expelling pent up frustration with Splash Mountain closing, which the poster I was replying to was clearly doing, is not what this thread is for.

Smiley/OCD

Perhaps I should have been more clear . . . this thread is dedicated to "construction progress, new storyline details, and other details specific to Tiana's Bayou Adventure" - That, I presume, may include legitimate criticism of the attraction as it develops, but need not include histrionic fabrications the likes of which have sent nearly every other thread around the changeover of this ride into tailspin.

Complaining about things that haven't happened or won't be happening just for the sake of expelling pent up frustration with Splash Mountain closing, which the poster I was replying to was clearly doing, is not what this thread is for.
I understand what you’re saying, but if this thread is to adhere to those rules, people will post, “gee, the rear crane moved 15 feet today” or “Did you see, they added a new section of wall to block our view, gave it a coat of a different shade of paint and added the logo off center” I mean, come on, when we veer too far off course, I think we can police ourselves like adults and reign it back it to some semblance of the topic. I know I for one will be on here complaining if the tiara on top of the water tower will be just a little too far off center…seeesh…

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I understand what you’re saying, but if this thread is to adhere to those rules, people will post, “gee, the rear crane moved 15 feet today” or “Did you see, they added a new section of wall to block our view, gave it a coat of a different shade of paint and added the logo off center” I mean, come on, when we veer too far off course, I think we can police ourselves like adults and reign it back it to some semblance of the topic. I know I for one will be on here complaining if the tiara on top of the water tower will be just a little too far off center…seeesh…
That's why there are two threads. One for construction updates and discussion about those updates and the other to talk about the ride in general.

If there are no updates on construction, it's perfectly OK to let the thread go dormant until there is an update. It does not require hot takes on baseless assumptions. If that's what you want, go here:

etc98

Their click bait is very powerful. I know better but every once in a while I still loose the battle to resist clicking on one of their links.
I play a game where I try to figure out what the actual story is based only on the headline.

“Fans slam Disney” = “one person tweeted something snarky”
”Attraction closing indefinitely“ = “going down for refurbishment”
”Meet and greet closing“ = ”moving to a new location”
”Guests can buy their own Disney ride” = “Disney is selling a toy version of a ride vehicle”
”Disney doubles down on Villains park with first character” = “You can now meet Pete in Mickey’s Toontown”

And if a headline ever just says “Disney Park”, instead of mentioning the park name, it’s always one of the international parks.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I play a game where I try to figure out what the actual story is based only on the headline.

”Guests can buy their own Disney ride” = “Disney is selling a toy version of a ride vehicle”
”Disney doubles down on Villains park with first character” = “You can now meet Pete in Mickey’s Toontown”

And if a headline ever just says “Disney Park”, instead of mentioning the park name, it’s always one of the international parks.
Don't forget:

"Completely Outrageously and Apparent Falsehood" = <we plagiarized a story from a parody site and we don't let you know it's parody until the very end; and we don't make it obvious because the parody expresses the sad feelings we feel inside and we want everyone else to be sad, too>

BTW, ITM is one of the sites that is forbidden on these forums. You can't post a link to it, the name is censored out.

EPCOT-O.G.

At least they’ve dialed back on the multiple times a day Johnny Depp updates

Smiley/OCD

That's why there are two threads. One for construction updates and discussion about those updates and the other to talk about the ride in general.

If there are no updates on construction, it's perfectly OK to let the thread go dormant until there is an update. It does not require hot takes on baseless assumptions. If that's what you want, go here:

That’s perfectly ok…no one has posted on that thread since early February…can’t wait for the first person to post get crucified for bumping a thread…but 👍 Because of the subject matter, the subject of Tiana and, dare I say those forbidden words, Splash Mountain, will live on long after Tiana opens in late ‘24…we will just have to our best to reel ourselves back in…I’ll try to do my part!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Construction threads are pointless. They never stay on topic and it ends up being to big a job to moderate them.

TomboyJanet

or "Beloved Disney Staple To Go Away" usually means like a churro stand is moving from Frontierland to Liberty Square

To be honest I clicked on the article before I read it's source, due to my desperate quest to learn what's going on INSIDE the ride.

I don't really think that my thoughts on the drop were all that baseless. They are based on the fact that A. Facillier's voice actor wasn't announced (unless they plan to surprise us, I see this as villainless) and B. The model shows the Brer Fox Lair is now full of Mama Ode's stuff, indicating that for some reason she's up there instead, and possibly about to toss people off a waterfalls and say something stupid like "I gotta get ya home somehow DOWN YA GOOO!!" which would be embarrassingly cringy. I also heard someone mention that the friends from the other side will not be appearing. So the info that I have here is This ride is about looking for food, and possibly learning "the special part was you all along!" which is a strange plot choice for a ride that's kinda a thrill ride. It just feels like they didn't know what to do with the drops so they ignored them. This is based on what the Frozen ride turned out to be. It's like if Star Tours became a ride about dancing and they just wiggled it around to follow the movements of the people on the screen. I would be totally fine with this ride if it actually had a good plot.

I hope I am wrong but so far I only see more evidence of me being correct. I've said all I can say about my hatred of Splash Mountain leaving and that's not what I'm talking about now. I'm talking about weak imagineering.

CaptainMickey

This has been discussed *a lot* in the other TBA threads. This is just the construction thread. If you go there, I'm sure you'll find people to recap how:
  • Splash never really fit to begin with, so, for the MK, it's a wash
  • the whole area from Liberty Square to BTMR was never coherently themed to begin with
  • and, as you guessed above, this mismatch can be mitigated somewhat with retheming Pecos Bill.
I have always heard versions of walking along Frontierland from Liberty square to BTMR as a journey along the American westward expansion. Like this one...

A walk through WDW’s Liberty Square through Frontierland – The Finale

"I am always amazed when I walk through Liberty Square and Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. You have to credit the Imagineers for pulling off the impossible. Just like Liberty Square, Frontierland is designed to be a journey through time and distance. The story line will take us from St. Louis in the early 1840s to a ghost town after the gold rush boom in the 1880s. They have created a three-dimensional, immersive environment that moves you through time and space. And most people never even know it as they run to BTMRR or Splash Mountain.
The story of Frontierland begins where Liberty Square ends. Liberty Square is an impression of the idealized vision of Colonial America using design elements from the thirteen original colonies. That provides the eastern anchor for our journey. Frontierland celebrates the great westward expansion that followed the Louisiana Purchase.

The first building we come to in Frontierland is the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon. This is a movie interpretation of a grand show palace that would be common in St. Louis in 1840. St. Louis became known as the western gateway and the starting point for many pioneers.

For the next stop we move west to the Colorado Rockies. The time is now the 1850s. Here we find a northwoods union hall. If you look inside you can see one of my all time favorites, the Country Bear Jamboree. Oh I miss this one at Disneyland. Pooh, puh! While waiting for the show notice the marks on the floor. Those would be bear claw scratches.

As you go west, notice how each building uses the short hand of iconic design elements, materials, and different architectural styles to enhance the time travel story. There are clues to the year many of the building facades were built if you look closely enough. For example, the Town Hall was built in 1867. Pecos Bills Saloon is dated 1878. Texas James Slaughter owned the Frontier Trading Post. He was a real life person and Disney TV character who was famous in the 1870s.

Our journey continues westward to the great desert Southwest of the 1860s-70s. The designers use carefully chosen plant material and Spanish Mission architecture to recreate the cinematic image of a western town. Lots of Zorro influence. You know the use of Spanish influenced architecture wasn’t just serendipity. The designers had a problem they had to solve.

Dial up Google Earth and look at the aerial photo of the Magic Kingdom. You will notice that the west side of the park is basically one giant building with two different personalities. The south side faces Adventureland and the building facades enhance that theme. The north side facades advance the Frontierland theme. There are a couple of spots where you go from one realm to another. The designers have spent a great deal of thought on how to make those transitions very smooth.

In the movies, it is known as the cross-dissolve. A good example of this is the transition from Frontierland to Adventureland.

Pecos Bills Café’s architecture is in the Spanish Mission style, which was popular in the Southwest desert region of that period. However, those same Spanish influenced design cues were also appropriate for El Pirata Y el Perico right across from the Pirates of the Caribbean. If you are going to Pirates, you will be going from North America to a Caribbean island one hundred years earlier. The effect is subtle and not startling. But if they didn’t do it you would notice that something is just not right.

Now we take a little detour from our westward journey to visit the Deep South in the 1860s. This is the setting for Splash Mountain. At Splash Mountain, we can see how the Imagineers try to create a sense of anticipation through environmental design. They do it in a way that would be familiar to any filmmaker.

When you to the movies, before most feature attractions are previews. There is also a preview when you pass by Splash Mountain. The larger path takes you past the drop. This view exaggerates the height of the drop as the logs fall into the Briar Patch. There is another path, a boardwalk that is set beyond the drop. Here, not only can we see the horror on the guests faces as they drop but also we can see the happy payoff as they laugh and feel alive. These pathways help bond the viewers with the participants.

Our final stop on this westward journey is the little mining ghost town of Big Thunder. The peaks of Monument Valley influence the mountains within Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The designers have used forced perspective to make them seem larger.

Since our journey took us from the east coast to the west coast, it is appropriate that the last thing you see in Frontierland is the Disneyland Railroad train station. The Rivers of America and the Liberty Belle are a symbolic link between Liberty Square and Frontierland. This waterway recognizes the importance of rivers and canals to the start of the American expansion. The Frontierland train station represents the completion of the transcontinental railroad and the end to the great expansion.

There is one more design element that is unique in Frontierland. It is the use of multiple pathways to provide variety to your experience. You can walk along the raised wooden plank sidewalk along the building facades. Or you can walk in the street with the herd of people passing through. You can also get a taste of the rural life by walking along the boardwalk at the edge of the Rivers of America. Not only does this provide a set of options for the guests but it creates huge capacity to move people without looking like a giant sidewalk.

I mentioned at the beginning of this series that Liberty Square and Frontierland become a time machine. They take you back to real places at specific times. To take a ride on the Time Machine start on Main Street USA. The time is around 1900. Cross the bridge toward Liberty Square and you go back in time to the founding of the nation. The path toward the west will take you to the 1880s. Get on the train and exit at Main Street. You are back in the 1900s. Talk about the Grand Circle Tour."

CaptainMickey

In the original concept for the WDW Splash Mountain area was Western River Expedition/Thunder Mesa Mountain designed by Marc Davis. It later evolved into Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. The original idea probably would have fit the Great American Westward expansion theme / timeline better, but SM and BTMR definitely became beloved classics!

Touchdown

In the original concept for the WDW Splash Mountain area was Western River Expedition/Thunder Mesa Mountain designed by Marc Davis. It later evolved into Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. The original idea probably would have fit the Great American Westward expansion theme / timeline better, but SM and BTMR definitely became beloved classics!

No, you’re off, WRE was supposed to be WDW’s Pirates, but the public wanted pirates and it was put on the back burner when WDW got Pirates. Then it was considered as a replacement for Natures Wonderland at DL but it got downsized to BTMRR. Marc Davis (per Jim Hill way back in the day when I read him) harbored animosity towards Tony Baxter for stealing his project and hated Tony afterwards. He was not pleased years later when his final attraction (America Sings) was gutted for another Tony project (Splash.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom