Moana, Mirabel and Figment meet and greet details confirmed for Walt Disney World

Inspired Figment

Well, there was this one at one point..
EPpNapkUUAA1AlB

Plus his Silly Side show has him bright eyed..Which IMO think this was a dumb move not bringing him to MK for his own attraction placing him in the tent adjacent that became seating..
maxresdefault.jpg
Which I get to a certain degree. Each character has different emotions depending on the situation.. but I think what mainly bothers me is the way they’re portraying him in promo videos and other media as a whole lately (Saves Christmas also suffering this issue). He’s not mischievous, a sarcastic jerk ‘while’ being bright eyed or villainous ‘at all’. He’s more-so dimwitted (think more like SpongeBob’s Patrick) and a pal to everyone majority of the time now.. ‘Big’ difference..
but like, even the costume there, again, villainous as he should be. Which makes me question this current suit decision even further. Oh well, glad he’s there in any shape or form.. but it certainly isn’t what it could or should be. (IMO atleast)

Last edited:

Touchdown

As an Uncle, I’ve seen MMC a few times, and he’s still mischievous in them. He’s my 3 year old nephews favorite Mickey Character. He’s going to love seeing him when he goes to DL next year.

Inspired Figment

As an Uncle, I’ve seen MMC a few times, and he’s still mischievous in them. He’s my 3 year old nephews favorite Mickey Character. He’s going to love seeing him when he goes to DL next year.
Fair enough, I’d personally never seen any episodes where he was.. but if he is, great. Still though, I don’t get nor see the insistence to go with preschool versions of a character in a land that’s compromised of versions of the characters aimed towards ‘all’ ages, hence also the Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin ride, as opposed to strictly the preschool demographic, let alone the land being ‘ToonTown’ and not Hot Dog Hills or Clubhouse land.. I’m just sayin’…

Cmdr_Crimson

Fair enough, I’d personally never seen any episodes where he was.. but if he is, great. Still though, I don’t get nor see the insistence to go with preschool versions of a character in a land that’s compromised of versions of the characters aimed towards ‘all’ ages, hence also the Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin ride, as opposed to strictly the preschool demographic, let alone the land being ‘ToonTown’ and not Hot Dog Hills or Clubhouse land.. I’m just sayin’…
He's still a baddie but, in a friendly level...

Inspired Figment

He's still a baddie but, in a friendly level...

That’s what I thought… incredibly lame.. talk about a lack of well-rounded sincere/believable personalities, interactions & emotions between all the characters that they should have. Even the Mickey storybooks & tapes I have from the 80s he’s a legit deceptive/baddie/jerk with alternative motives than he lets on intially. Sad to see the dumbifacation (or gross mockifacafion on the other end) of these characters when Disney was supposed to be the exception from the needlessly pandering garbage other studios that didn’t get genuinely good, all age appealing entertainment made.

Last edited:

brb1006

That’s what I thought… incredibly lame.. talk about a lack of well-rounded sincere/believable personalities, interactions & emotions between all the characters that they should have. Even the Mickey storybooks & tapes I have from the 80s he’s a legit deceptive/baddie/jerk with alternative motives than he lets on intially. Sad to see the dumbifacation (or gross mockifacafion on the other end) of these characters when Disney was supposed to be the exception from the needlessly pandering garbage other studios that didn’t get genuinely good, all age appealing entertainment made.
To be fair, Disney making Mickey Mouse/Mickey & Friends content aimed at the much younger demographic isn't a new thing.

Back when Disney Interactive (Disney's defunct video game division) was active, they created a series of PC games for the toddler, preschool, and kindergarten demographic called "Disney Learning" released in 2000 (around the same period Mickey Mouse Works was still active while House of Mouse was in production). Winnie the Pooh, Hercules, and Aladdin also gained similar games for the Disney's Learning series. Mickey and Friends starred in three (Mickey Mouse Toddler, Mickey Mouse Preschool, and Mickey Mouse Kindergarten) respectively.

Mickey Mouse Toddler

Mickey Mouse Preschool

Mickey Mouse Kindergarten

If anything, the Mickey Mouse pre-school games for the "Disney Learning" series served as the perfect blueprint for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (which came out six years later) and it's later follow ups for Disney Junior.

Heck, I remember when "Disney Baby" was a thing during the 1990s and early 2000s (pre-Clubhouse Era), which depicted Mickey and Friends (and sometimes other Disney Characters) as babies. This concept was utilized in one of the early episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
4d8310279efcf3fcb21904815be579e7.jpg

Warner Brothers did a similar approach with "Baby Looney Tunes" which was a short-lived brand of preschool merchandise starring the Looney Tunes Gang during the 1990s before gaining an animated show in the early 2000s.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

To be fair, Disney making Mickey Mouse/Mickey & Friends content aimed at the much younger demographic isn't a new thing.

Back when Disney Interactive (Disney's defunct video game division) was active, they created a series of PC games for the toddler, preschool, and kindergarten demographic called "Disney Learning" released in 2000 (around the same period Mickey Mouse Works was still active while House of Mouse was in production). Winnie the Pooh, Hercules, and Aladdin also gained similar games for the Disney's Learning series. Mickey and Friends starred in three (Mickey Mouse Toddler, Mickey Mouse Preschool, and Mickey Mouse Kindergarten) respectively.

Mickey Mouse Toddler

Mickey Mouse Preschool

If anything, the Mickey Mouse pre-school games for the "Disney Learning" series served as the perfect blueprint for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (which came out six years later) and it's later follow ups for Disney Junior.

Heck, I remember when "Disney Baby" was a thing during the 1990s and early 2000s (pre-Clubhouse Era), which depicted Mickey and Friends (and sometimes other Disney Characters) as babies. This concept was utilized in one of the early episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Warner Brothers did a similar approach with "Baby Looney Tunes" which was a short-lived brand of preschool merchandise starring the Looney Tunes Gang during the 1990s before gaining an animated show in the early 2000s.

Yes, I remember these. Owned a couple myself. However these were specifically spin-off products and not the ‘main’ product/content taking the exposure spotlight/main representation of these characters everywhere including tv and the like for a decade or more. That truly is the issue here. A lack of a balanced, all age appealing rep in the spotlighted main product. It’s 180 one way or the other now. Needlessly Edgy, insincere/mocking/gross or soulless/pandering with no personality or humor at all. A shame, but clearly my viewpoint/perspective as a 24 year old that grew up on classic Walt era shorts, Fantasia, Fun & Fancy Free, Christmas Carol, Prince & the Pauper, 3 Musketeers, etc. + MouseWorks/Once Upon a Christmas/House of Mouse isn’t valid anymore. I remember when Clubhouse first aired how much the drastic departure in overall main direction & balance in well rounded character/emotion/personality bothered/upset me even when I was younger. Which was why Epic Mickey shortly after was such a refresher to see a year or 2 after, but that sadly didn’t last.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. But I’m just gonna leave my thoughts on the current state of Mickey & Friends’ representation there ^.

In short, LOVE that Pete is back out with the rest of the Mickey & Friends cast, but I just don’t agree that it’s the best way to portray/represent him in an ‘all-age appealing’ land & park. It’s ‘ToonTown’ , not Clubhouse/Hot Dog Hills Land. Hence the Roger Rabbit, Go Coaster, & Runaway Railway rides there. That’s all.

Attachments

• 875D181B-6E0D-45BE-9624-DC4F5F8A49A2.jpeg
    875D181B-6E0D-45BE-9624-DC4F5F8A49A2.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes

Mickey Mouse Toddler

Mickey Mouse Preschool

I remember playing Mickey Mouse Preschool on my family’s former PC when I was little.

FigmentJedi

Because of Clubhouse in 05... and it’s overexposure compared to everything else since then. ‘That’ is the reason for the public’s false perception.. and because they marketed Mickey Mouse Works & House of Mouse terribly (which actually did it right) so nobody or at the very least, not enough people saw it. horrible mistake on Disney’s part to let this false narrative continue rather than through history, show that it’s wrong.
Mickey being a harmless inoffensive mascot is much older then the preschool shows. Like it's the main reason Donald, Goofy and Pluto's careers soared, the later Mickey shorts in the original run were basically showcases for other characters to be funny since Mickey becoming the face of the company resulted in a need for overprotection. And given the response to Runaway Brain and early drafts of Epic Mickey that resulted in the morality mechanic being gutted into the Guardian system, the masses were content with Mickey staying in his lane of harmless mascot.

brb1006

Because of Clubhouse in 05... and it’s overexposure compared to everything else since then. ‘That’ is the reason for the public’s false perception.. and because they marketed Mickey Mouse Works & House of Mouse terribly (which actually did it right) so nobody or at the very least, not enough people saw it. horrible mistake on Disney’s part to let this false narrative continue rather than through history, show that it’s wrong.
Actually Mickey Mouse Clubhouse premiered in mid 2006 not in 2005.

brb1006

Mickey being a harmless inoffensive mascot is much older then the preschool shows. Like it's the main reason Donald, Goofy and Pluto's careers soared, the later Mickey shorts in the original run were basically showcases for other characters to be funny since Mickey becoming the face of the company resulted in a need for overprotection. And given the response to Runaway Brain and early drafts of Epic Mickey that resulted in the morality mechanic being gutted into the Guardian system, the masses were content with Mickey staying in his lane of harmless mascot.
This is why I love Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse comics, since they managed to combine both of Mickey's mischievous and adventurous personality from the older shorts with his current depiction. Mickey frequently faced mobsters, kidnappers, and spies in the comics.
1038--66819-800-c7l.jpg

lf
3467669_1.jpg

pKM3Sm4X_1306221336211gpadd.jpeg

f9P2q7B1_2805190635481gpadd.jpg

This even extends other comics without Gottfredson's involvement.
Gen-Clo.jpg

It's a huge shame Disney never though of taking cues from Gottfredson's Mickey Comics since they have so much potential to get partially adapted into animation. Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse and Runaway Brain is the closest we got to these comics in animated format.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

This is why I love Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse comics, since they managed to combine both of Mickey's mischievous and adventurous personality from the older shorts with his current depiction. Mickey frequently faced mobsters, kidnappers, and spies in the comics.
1038--66819-800-c7l.jpg

lf
3467669_1.jpg

pKM3Sm4X_1306221336211gpadd.jpeg

f9P2q7B1_2805190635481gpadd.jpg

This even extends other comics without Gottfredson's involvement.
Gen-Clo.jpg

It's a huge shame Disney never though of taking cues from Gottfredson's Mickey Comics since they have so much potential to get partially adapted into animation. Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse and Runaway Brain is the closest we got to these comics in animated format.
See ‘this’ is the type of Mickey I keep talking about that got it right.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I still disagree with that. It never got as huge as it did til Clubhouse got pushed big on the scene to the detriment of everything else. I personally never heard these complaints prior to that. On top of it, what made Disney animation work as a whole was the well-roundedness of them. ‘Not’ the zaniness. If this were honestly the case, how come they starred in multiple films and shorts together and worked off eachother so well for so many years, retaining their unique personalities, variety of emotions & humor without having to pander down strictly to preschoolers and more importantly, Without having many nor a majority of complaints against it? Hence why I find that to be a false narrative crafted by Disney corporate to push a narrative that ‘only’ benefits themselves and nobody else, let alone benefit the past legacy. It’s true Donald was more popular in Latin America, but not the case otherwise.
And what was wrong with the Epic Mickey we got? Never heard any complaints about that game’s story or elements. And funny how Runaway Brain is supposedly an issue when the Rudish Mickey shorts do so much worse. I thought Runaway Brain had a pleasant balance for the story they were telling. In essence a Jekyl & Hyde/Frankenstein story. Screw the people that don’t believe Mickey is and can be a well-rounded character (just like their other animated characters & films). They’ll lose in the long run anyway, why bend to them? Same goes for the people that don’t like Mickey the way he is. Stick to the damned competition if you don’t like the way Mickey is and has been for decades before the pandering happened. Mickey is ‘supposed’ to have a more playful, well rounded personality & humor. Not constantly be edgy nor be soulless with no humor or varied emotions whatsoever, That’s what ‘made’ him famous to begin with. The fact he had that balance. Not only one aspect or another

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Really shows it in the Musketeers movie..

Inspired Figment

Really shows it in the Musketeers movie..

Certainly has a better balance of humor & emotion than Clubhouse or Rudish combined. Not quite ‘as’ much humor or anger per say from the characters as they should & can have (Particularly from Donald, he should have more of a temper).. but it’s ‘very’ close to getting it right, mostly. Though keep in mind, this venture is more story driven than just gags.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

You all should remember Mickey, Donald, and Goofy were never supposed to be along the likes of Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry. They were distinctly Disney. More playful & lighthearted as a whole regarding tone, but still very funny & witty regarding its gags & banter. Otherwise just say you don’t like Mickey & Friends and be done with it. What Rudish should’ve learned and what Disney as a whole should’ve learned from Clubhouse. We want Mickey, not Barney & Dora, nor Ren & Stimpy. Classic Disney humor, storytelling & personality. Well-roundedness matters, ‘that’ is how a character or group of characters last long term & appeal to all ages. ‘Not’ the other way around. ‘That’ approach ultimately has a short term shelf life 99.9% of the time.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Not so much about never being satisfied. It has more to do with WDW Leadership being able to do so much more and they continually and deliberately choose not to.
Isn't it true that somewhere around DL's 50th or something a whole host of WDW representatives visited the resort and were laughing and commenting within earshot of guests about the ridiculous excess of the DL and how much smarter they are for refusing such indulgences?

I forget exactly where I heard that story, but that it was so easy to believe is probably telling enough.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Isn't it true that somewhere around DL's 50th or something a whole host of WDW representatives visited the resort and were laughing and commenting within earshot of guests about the ridiculous excess of the DL and how much smarter they are for refusing such indulgences?

I forget exactly where I heard that story, but that it was so easy to believe is probably telling enough.

I believe I read something similar back in the day. Not sure if it was specifically around DL's 50th but I think the story is true that TDO was laughing at TDA for their spending and how much smarter they claimed to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom