Question about DAS and it's qualifications

disneyfan24

Original Poster
Hi,
I have a rather interesting question about the DAS system. I have a family member that has type 1 diabetes. She's in her 20s and quite fit and healthy. She recently learned of the DAS system and has been using it's benefits since. She complains constantly about people who take advantage of it. Saying how immortal it is and such.
Thing is, I've always read that the system is needs based and not disagnosis based. She has never had a problem with waiting in lines. She never had an issue before becoming a basically permanent DAS user. She waits in lines between her DAS timers. She goes to other places like universal and waits in lines all day without issue. When she complains about others taking advantage of the system, is it wrong to call out hypocrisy at all? Am I wrong with how DAS works and anyone with a disability, whether or not line waiting is an issue for them is okay to use?

Stupido

I mean; you would know better than us. If this is your family member, you should know if they’re abusing the system or not, and whether or not it’s inappropriate to call her out.

If it helps, I would.

disneyfan24

Original Poster
I mean; you would know better than us. If this is your family member, you should know if they’re abusing the system or not, and whether or not it’s inappropriate to call her out.

If it helps, I would.

Yeah, I just don't know if I'm understanding DAS right. Whether or not it's a needs based system, rather than just a diagnosis is an auto-permanent pass for the rest of your life. She's never had a problem standing in lines before, and it personally feels like she's doing the same thing she's complaining about.
Unless I'm mistaken and whether or not she can stand in lines without issue means nothing to getting DAS. But I personally don't think it's a "disabilities get to ride 2-3x more rides" kind of thing.

nickys

Premium Member
That’s what I thought. Wanted clarification on it because I didn’t want to bring it up if I was wrong. Thank you
As a counterpoint, I also know and provide care for people who have Type 1 diabetes. A hypo can happen without warning and at that point they need to sit sit down and rest for 10-15 minutes before re-testing. Of course, not everyone has many hypos, and have the condition well under control. But someone not on an insulin pump and also not used to the heat, for example, will often hypo more often or need to test quite frequently.

Hence the reason for DAS being needs based, not diagnosis based. Your friend / family member may not need it. But others may well do, and unless you are really sure you understand her needs I would hesitate to jump in on the “cheating the system” bandwagon. However it does sound she is being judgemental of others, so perhaps pointing out that it depends on needs and not a diagnosis would help to change her pov.

disneyfan24

Original Poster
As a counterpoint, I also know and provide care for people who have Type 1 diabetes. A hypo can happen without warning and at that point they need to sit sit down and rest for 10-15 minutes before re-testing. Of course, not everyone has many hypos, and have the condition well under control. But someone not on an insulin pump and also not used to the heat, for example, will often hypo more often or need to test quite frequently.

Hence the reason for DAS being needs based, not diagnosis based. Your friend / family member may not need it. But others may well do, and unless you are really sure you understand her needs I would hesitate to jump in on the “cheating the system” bandwagon. However it does sound she is being judgemental of others, so perhaps pointing out that it depends on needs and not a diagnosis would help to change her pov.
I get you. You’re only hearing this whole thing from me, but I know she’s taking advantage of the system. She waits in long lines between DAS times, she waits in long lines at other theme parks that do t have DAS. She hasn’t had a problem with it ever until she heard of DAS and instantly started using it.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Due to occasional bouts of gout, I have a DAS and also a handicapped parking permit for my car.

I only use them if I absolutely need to. Otherwise, they stay put away. I don't like drawing attention to myself because I appear to be relatively young and healthy.

Smiley/OCD

I get you. You’re only hearing this whole thing from me, but I know she’s taking advantage of the system. She waits in long lines between DAS times, she waits in long lines at other theme parks that do t have DAS. She hasn’t had a problem with it ever until she heard of DAS and instantly started using it.
I think you answered your own question…I use the DAS because of my MS plus some other newly diagnosed issues. You do see abuses of the system, but the vast majority look legit from where I’m looking on my scooter. That being said, karmas a b**ch and there’s a special place downstairs with no A/C for eternity for those that abuse any handicapped benefit whether it’s a placard, parking in a space, etc.
Even before my disease I didn’t have any patience for abusers. That call will ultimately be yours to make as to whether you speak up or not…but expect blowback

scoobygirl39541

While we're talking DAS qualifications and questions. My 70 year old dad has heart problems (even had surgery to fix some things) and can't stand in one location for too long or walk slow (aka, basically what a line is). He required a DAS at our last trip in July of 2022. We're going again this June. Does he need to call ahead again to get DAS or it is automatic after the first time?

Figgy1

Premium Member
While we're talking DAS qualifications and questions. My 70 year old dad has heart problems (even had surgery to fix some things) and can't stand in one location for too long or walk slow (aka, basically what a line is). He required a DAS at our last trip in July of 2022. We're going again this June. Does he need to call ahead again to get DAS or it is automatic after the first time?
he'll have to do it again but it's easier when you've already have done it as the info should be in his account

Hcalvert

Hi,
I have a rather interesting question about the DAS system. I have a family member that has type 1 diabetes. She's in her 20s and quite fit and healthy. She recently learned of the DAS system and has been using it's benefits since. She complains constantly about people who take advantage of it. Saying how immortal it is and such.
Thing is, I've always read that the system is needs based and not disagnosis based. She has never had a problem with waiting in lines. She never had an issue before becoming a basically permanent DAS user. She waits in lines between her DAS timers. She goes to other places like universal and waits in lines all day without issue. When she complains about others taking advantage of the system, is it wrong to call out hypocrisy at all? Am I wrong with how DAS works and anyone with a disability, whether or not line waiting is an issue for them is okay to use?
I called out my brother for abusing the system. My nephew qualifies but does not like to ride a lot of rides. So, he went and got a DAS for two of his other children so that they didn't have to wait in lines and begrudge my nephew for not riding. It's abuse. Did my telling him it was wrong change his behavior? No.

Smiley/OCD

No, unfortunately he will have to reapply…I guess due to HIPPA regulations, they don’t keep that information.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its needs based.
They don't want to know the diagnosis.
They just want you to explain why its difficult for you to wait in the standby line.
I don't know her but maybe its more difficult to wait in very long lines but she has the ability to wait in shorter lines?
If you think she is abusing the system call her out on it just because you can but don't expect her to stop using it.

Smiley/OCD

HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. It wouldn't apply to information acquired by Disney in determining who qualifies for its DAS program.
The bottom line is Disney does not hold onto any information pertaining to guest’s DAS info…you will have to reapply every time you make a trip there (for the duration of said trip).

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The bottom line is Disney does not hol⁵d onto any information pertaining to guest’s DAS info…you will have to reapply every time you make a trip there (for the duration of said trip).
Actually last time I pre registered they could see that I previously had DAS and asked if anything had changed. I said no and he asked me no more questions and approved it.
So yes you still have to request it but they can see you had it before.

Last edited:

thomas998

As you've described it she is the type of person that ruins it for the people that actually need it. You should just go full Karen on her everytime you see her out and about. Maybe video her when you do it and post it on youtube... at some point she will get the point and stop trying to game a system simply because she can... If she gives you any grief just ask her why she doesn't just go tell make a wish she has cancer and try to get a free trip.

Smiley/OCD

Actually last time I pre registered they could see that I previously had DAS and asked if anything had changed. I said no and he asked me no more questions and approved it.
So yes you still have to request it but they can see you had it before.
We were there in December 2021 and again in 2022…in order to get the DAS before the trip, we had to go through the phone/video interview again. They might be able to see that you had it it on your last visit, but that’s the only fact they have. You still must reapply and go through the same process to qualify.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom