Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am a tad confused with the anti water ride mob for Paris, water rides do exist all across northern Europe. In fact, some of the best flume rides on the continent exist in the UK, Valhalla, Storm Force 10, all fantastic attraction where you get absolutely soaked. Rumours have been speculating that Legoland Windsor will become the first resort in the UK, to become a year round theme park, they also have water rides.

I appreciate these parks are seasonal, however I see no reason why Paris could not have a highly themed rapids ride. These rides can be thrilling, without getting you soaked from head to toe.
Don’t think many are “anti water ride”. Valhalla is indoors mind (and a ridiculous, confusing hot mess when it’s open). Like I said above plans exist for an indoor rapids ride for Avland.

let’s also remember Tokyos Splash was designed with water / splash level adjustment linked to the weather / temperature.

Given a finite budget I’d rather it went somewhere else instead of a full on get you wet ride in Northern Europe. But that’s just me.

Last edited:

Trekkie101

No one rides Vahalla for around 8 months of the year.

We can certainly have a log flume / splash mountain style ride, but even in Orlando it gets abandoned when it’s cold.

Is this really the best idea?

Paris isn’t “hot” for 6 months of the year, a raft ride that soaks you, I doubt would ever go ahead.

They’ve Star Wars’d Discoveryland so I’d also assume any expansion on the IP would get put over there too.

The night show is definitely the most exciting part I feel. Especially if it’s a fantasmic update.

A night parade would be wonderful too.

Sir_Cliff

Given a finite budget I’d rather it went somewhere else instead of a full on get you wet ride in Northern Europe. But that’s just me.
That's where I am, too.

I wouldn't describe myself as being against them building a water ride in Paris (Splash is/was my favourite ride, after all), but I don't think it would make the most sense when evaluating where to spend the money on a new e-ticket. There will always be weeks if not months of the year when demand for a water ride that gets you wet as part of the thrill is slim to none, so why not spend that money on a ride that will hopefully be popular all year round?

I did notice even on Route 66 that you could see where people were staying away from the side of the tram to avoid getting splashed in Catastrophe Canyon last weekend as it was bitterly cold! As an aside, I was surprised at how much I preferred this version to the previous tram tour. The new Cars version is at least a nice, fun ride for kids, whereas the old one was a bit embarrassing for all but the biggest Dinotopia and Reign of Fire fans.

UpAllNight

I’m shocked they haven’t gone with a Beauty & the Beast expansion for Fantasyland.

Feel like there’s probably a lot of plans for Paris, but they’re sluggish ok’ing them. I’ve just had a survey through about a recent visit and I’ve made my thoughts known - I credit myself for Hagrids and Velocicoaster after a survey in 2015 haha

Animaniac93-98

As an aside, I was surprised at how much I preferred this version to the previous tram tour. The new Cars version is at least a nice, fun ride for kids, whereas the old one was a bit embarrassing for all but the biggest Dinotopia and Reign of Fire fans.

Since it's likely to stay for a while, I would suggest adding 2 more show scenes like Catastrophe Canyon and more desert landscaping to the ride. I think it has potential to be a solid family ride, but like so much of the park is constrained by its budget.

BrianLo

No one rides it full stop at the moment! Don’t get me wrong, it was admirable ambitious. But even if it is based indoors the wet factor afterwords of something similar in WDSP would have no end of queues for cold and flu drugs afterwards at guest services!

An excellent opportunity for CM's to educate the masses against silly idioms like 'you'll catch a cold'. ;)

Hypothermia on the other hand; it sounds like a great upsell opportunity for hot beverages and blankets!

LondonTom

I did notice even on Route 66 that you could see where people were staying away from the side of the tram to avoid getting splashed in Catastrophe Canyon last weekend as it was bitterly cold! As an aside, I was surprised at how much I preferred this version to the previous tram tour. The new Cars version is at least a nice, fun ride for kids, whereas the old one was a bit embarrassing for all but the biggest Dinotopia and Reign of Fire fans.
Less of the slander for Reign of Fire 👀

But then I am someone who kind of enjoyed Armageddon – Les Effets Speciaux and is sad that its gone 🤣

mrflo

I hope they will still keep or even expand the Hollywood atmosphere & theming. Would not actually mind them turning the backstage restaurant in a more realistic Hollywood Brown Derby setting.

mrflo

* "Avatar : the World of Pandora" is seriously considered for WDS between the Frozen land and the Cars Road Trip pads. Although even in the best case scenario it wouldn't open before 2029/2030. A raft ride would replace Navi River Journey.

* Star Wars is no longer planned for the WDS expansion, if it ever comes to fruition it would be constructed on the Discoveryland expansion pad area with a bike coaster as the main E-ticket. The Dicoveryland Theater building will be torn down by 2029. Current construction works backstage are reducing the CM parking lot footprint...
The Lion King land has been rumoured to be a replacement for SW for the last two years. So it sounds plausible that this has been actually planned and might happen. While I think a Splash Mt. type ride (LK or Jungle Book) would be a great addition to Adventureland, I don't think it is the best choice for WDS. The Studios need another E-ticket ride that provides capacity and appeal year-round. For example, Europa-Park is closing all their water rides in the winter season. And even with a reduced splash mode like in TDL, it still might prevent some visitors to go on the ride during the cold months.

With the selection of another animation IP, the WDS lakeside expansion would become Fantasyland 2.0 - I guess to appeal to the families that are already visiting DLP. I would prefer them to pick themes & IPs that would not fit well into DL Parc and provide WDS its own identity. This could also attract completely new visitors who currently believe that DLP is just about Disney princesses, cartoons and for little children.

If LK as the third land is becoming a reality, I doubt that we will see Avatar and SW:GE coming to DLP any time soon. Those plans as the next phase might be on the table like some many other options over the last two decades in DLP. But with all the budget cuts that the current expansion phase is already facing, it seems unrealistic that the TWDC would suddenly double down and add those expensive attractions shortly after. I would not even be surprised if the third land is delayed until 2028/29.

Sir_Cliff

I hope they will still keep or even expand the Hollywood atmosphere & theming. Would not actually mind them turning the backstage restaurant in a more realistic Hollywood Brown Derby setting.

Yeah, I think it would be a shame if they took away the Old Hollywood atmosphere. Honestly, I still think Studio 1 kind of works as a transition to the main areas of the park. Even though the sets are somewhat minimal, there is still a certain wow factor to walking into the soundstage and suddenly finding yourself in a nighttime Hollywood setting surrounded by neon.

One thing I do wonder is whether it will become a bit of a bottleneck as the park becomes more popular. It's kind of the anti-Disneyland Parc entrance where you have not only Main Street USA, but the arcades on both sides to keep people moving at all times.

fradz

Speaking of Studio 1, it was discussed in insider circles yesterday. Ally on twitter expands a bit more on it:

Studio 1: The shop facades will remain, the facades on the restaurant side won't. There will be many artifical trees. Will have a "village square" style. Transitions through facades of well-known theaters. From what I can see, it absolutely does not solve the problem of circulation width.

Construction expected to start towards the end of 2023. So indeed, visit it before the end of the Summer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I mean... With Dreams coming back and all that, anyone planning to visit DLP in the future has to be booking their trips right? :D I know you already did quite a while back.

I'll be at the parks a few times before the end of September, excited to show it off to some first-timers too!
Us too! Including with a first time American WDW veteran 😊

mrflo

Studio 1: The shop facades will remain, the facades on the restaurant side won't. There will be many artifical trees. Will have a "village square" style. Transitions through facades of well-known theaters. From what I can see, it absolutely does not solve the problem of circulation width.

I can't wait to see the first concept art of this. Right now I am having a hard time picturing how all those trees and the theatre facades will look like and whether this is actually an upgrade or not.

It is interesting how much of the investment is going into restaurants and toilets so far. 😆

Moon knight

I can't wait to see the first concept art of this. Right now I am having a hard time picturing how all those trees and the theatre facades will look like and whether this is actually an upgrade or not.
Los Angeles Theatres: El Capitan Theatre: street views 1955 to the present
24 Best Outdoor Patios for Alfresco Dining in Los Angeles

Hope it helps...

Last edited:

mrflo

Los Angeles Theatres: El Capitan Theatre: street views 1955 to the present
24 Best Outdoor Patios for Alfresco Dining in Los Angeles

Hope it helps...

Stylistically having many trees within a restaurant looks very nice. I could see this in a modern restaurant in Disney Village or even Epcot & Sequoia Lodge. Though thematically I still don't get the connection between the theatre facades and entering an area with lots of trees behind. But hey, it's WDS after all. :)

When TWDC did the overhaul for DCA they had a little preview center laying out the transformation of the park, showcasing what was about to come and explaining the story behind it. Like explaining how Buena Vista Street is reflecting the California of the 1920s when Walt Disney first arrived there. The original announcement for the WDS expansion is now five years ago, some of the original plans have changed and the famous artwork is outdated. I think it would be nice to have something for WDS where they would share an updated overall plan - showcasing how the park will look like after the completion of this expansion phase and how the new story/theme of each area and the whole park fits together. Of course, this means assuming that they actually thought about this in the process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom