News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

Disney itself described the ride as “a Southern bayou”, and the whole thing seemed very Southern to me. Not that I minded—the same applies to the Country Bear Jamboree, which I love (obviously!). “Frontierland” has always been a bit of a misnomer given that Southern elements have been there from the start. Guests seem not have been bothered by this in the past, and I doubt they’ll be bothered by it once Tiana’s Bayou Adventure opens.
Honestly you go back far enough the western most parts of the 13 colonies were considered the frontier. But yeah Splash Mountain wasn't the modern day meaning of the frontier.

LittleBuford

In the United States, a hamper is a basket where people place their clothes after they've been worn, as they await being laundered.
I would call that a laundry basket, which, confusingly, is also the name I give to the (usually) plastic thing in which one carries clothes to and from the washing machine. (I believe Americans too call the latter a laundry basket.)

JoeCamel

But not just any basket—one filled with goodies!

Eoo86Z2XIAAb_24.jpg
Also known as Pooh and Yogi's lunchbox
Splash too didn’t much belong—Georgia is hardly the frontier.
Have you been to north Georgia lately?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I usually avoid terminology that is so specifically British as to be unintelligible to others, so I'm glad to know that I should add "hamper" to the list, where it will join "trolley" for "shopping cart" and "jumper" for "sweater".
Don't let the guttersnipes get you down!

As an old American, I'm aware of the use of 'hamper' to mean any type of basket in the land of the free.

Since this is the word's origin:
Middle English, alteration of Anglo-Norman hanaper, from Old French hanepier, a case for holding goblets, from hanap, goblet, of Germanic origin.

The British usage of a meal basket makes sense more so than the American usage relegating it mostly as a basket for laundry.

But I don't mean to hamper this discussion.

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

Well unfortunately that is the exact mentality of this Disney management squad. If they want an IP shoved into thunder, that's all the justification they need.
It's not much different than the logic they used to jam Avatar into Animal Kingdom.

"Well ... there are animals on that planet they have in the movie ... so it definitely fits!!!"

Incomudro

It's not much different than the logic they used to jam Avatar into Animal Kingdom.

"Well ... there are animals on that planet they have in the movie ... so it definitely fits!!!"
To their credit, Avatar is about the relationship of "humans" with the natural world.
It depicts a naturalistic setting, which is why even though it's otherworldy (floating rocks) it fits right in the look, feel, and sounds of AK.
It's an environmental movie.

Brer Oswald

The ridiculous accents? The source material (c'mon, we're supposed to exclude that?)? The DL version not being given a faux Rockies paint job because it fit with New Orleans Square?
Considering there are no swamps, mountains, mines, mushroom caves, forests, etc in the animated sections of the movie, yeah. Splash Mountain was never a “loving tribute to the old Georgian south”. It was an animal filled mountain with a stream running through, and they picked an animal story that they had told before on the big screen. WDI made it fit in Frontierland by how they designed the mountain itself and the music style they chose. It’s just different enough from the DL version to make it fit in Frontierland as well as it did in Critter Country.

The problems they are running into with the story writing on Tiana is no doubt because they are so preoccupied on making this ride a loving tribute to New Orleans (likely because they want the sell tie in food).

MickeyMouse10

Well unfortunately that is the exact mentality of this Disney management squad. If they want an IP shoved into thunder, that's all the justification they need.

Yep, it seems like they've gotten rid of most of the creative people at Disney. All the current crew knows, is how to reuse already established ideas, attractions and movies. With a handful of sprinkled in current day agendas.

UNCgolf

I usually avoid terminology that is so specifically British as to be unintelligible to others, so I'm glad to know that I should add "hamper" to the list, where it will join "trolley" for "shopping cart" and "jumper" for "sweater".

You should probably add "boot" to the list for "trunk" when talking about a car. Most Americans (and Canadians too, I think) would either have no idea what you were talking about if you referred to a car boot, or they'd think you meant a device that goes onto a wheel to prevent the car from moving.

That said, I think Indian English has its own separate term for it too, so it's pretty regional.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

You should probably add "boot" to the list for "trunk" when talking about a car. Most Americans would either have no idea what you were talking about if you referred to a car boot, or they'd think you meant a device that goes onto a wheel to prevent the car from moving.

That said, I think Indian English has its own separate term for it too, so it's pretty regional.
Another Britishism I avoid here is “lorry” for “truck”.

I just looked up the Indian English word for “trunk”/“boot”. Interesting! I won’t write it for fear of triggering the site’s auto-censor.

On which note, one of the funniest transatlantic differences I know of was revealed to me a few years ago when I was watching The Flintstones and heard Wilma use the word “bollix”, whose differently spelt British counterpart is considered quite vulgar back in the UK and would never feature in a cartoon for kids!

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I just looked up the Indian English word for “trunk”/“boot”. Interesting! I won’t write it for fear of triggering the site’s auto-censor.

On which note, one of the funniest transatlantic differences I know of was revealed to me a few years ago when I was watching the Flintstones and heard Wilma use the word “bollix”, whose differently spelt British counterpart is considered quite vulgar back in the UK and would never feature in a cartoon for kids!

I know the British version of that word but don't think I have ever heard or read the word "bollix"!

UNCgolf

I think it’s mainly (perhaps exclusively) used in the phrase “bollix up” (which isn’t something we say in the UK, as far as I’m aware). Here’s the scene in question:

I was wondering if it was an archaic term that's fallen out of use, but I looked it up and there are plenty of recent usage examples. I'm surprised I've never come across it before (or come across it so rarely that I'd forgotten it).

Incomudro

On which note, one of the funniest transatlantic differences I know of was revealed to me a few years ago when I was watching The Flintstones and heard Wilma use the word “bollix”, whose differently spelt British counterpart is considered quite vulgar back in the UK and would never feature in a cartoon for kids!
I learned words like "lorry" from The Who.

Sir_Cliff

@Sir_Cliff, is this the same as Australian usage?
I have been following this conversation with great interest from an Australian perspective!

We would indeed also say "laundry basket" and what would spring to mind if someone mentioned "hamper" would also be a gift hamper.

In fact, I think with almost every example you've mentioned the Australian usage would be the same as the UK, including boot instead of trunk. The only example where I think we side with the Americans is on truck instead of lorry, though I'm sure some people do say lorry in Australia as I think I've always known what it means.

Beyond slang terms, the only thing that has really tripped me up abroad is realising that we are one of the very few countries that use the word capsicum for bell pepper. Not a big one, but I think I was well into my thirties when I realised that, for once, it was us instead of the Americans and Canadians who were the outliers. The one that I always find interesting is what different countries call stores that sell alcohol, as everyone seems to have their own term!

Also, I think the thematic concerns for Tiana are being overplayed. There, on topic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom