News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

_caleb

The OP said “bright people.” I have yet to see a demonstration of intelligence by the decision makers here.

Overthinking a project is not evidence of a bright mind.
I think they’re very bright. It seems you just don’t like what they’re doing. Why frame it in terms of intelligence?

celluloid

No. I took issue with posters here insulting the intelligence of the people at Disney/WDI. It wasn’t a “valid argument” (not was it kind, informed, or true) to say that these folks are not smart.
The person never said they were dumb or simple. There are different sorts of intelligences.

Designing theme park attractions to the high standards they once had is just not one they have a culture of there lately. Paritcularly with storytelling. What the poster said was valid and fairly widely agreed on inside and outside the industry.

_caleb

Lot’s of folks reacting negatively to this, but as a fan of imagineering and themed design, I think it’s cool that they’re sharing their thinking, plans, and inspirations as they go. In the past, they haven’t always invited us to geek out with them.

Drdcm

Lot’s of folks reacting negatively to this, but as a fan of imagineering and themed design, I think it’s cool that they’re sharing their thinking, plans, and inspirations as they go. In the past, they haven’t always invited us to geek out with them.
I’m glad you’re excited. I’m still underwhelmed by what they’ve announced, but am honestly glad there is some positivity about it. Splash isn’t coming back, so we can only move forward.

Ghost93

I love that they are sharing info, I'm just concerned that "adventure," and "fun" and "excitement" have been completely absent from any of the marketing of the retheme.

I am totally on board with retheming Splash from Song of the South to the Princess and the Frog. But what is being described seems to hardly resemble the Princess and the Frog. And the apparent lack of Facillier is a HUGE let down as he is easily the best part of the movie!

MerlinTheGoat

You honestly can’t think of who this ride might appeal to? And you accuse me of being obtuse?
I'm legitimately struggling to think of any demographics with significant numbers who would like this story. Even some of the people who strongly supported this retheme seem to consider that aspect to be exceptionally poor.

I think children and teens will be fairly confused and put off by the backstory. Until they finally get to the cute musical animal sections and drops that don't really tie into anything.

The people who understand what employee owned co-ops are and support them constitute a somewhat narrow range of grown (often younger) adults. I'd also say they're some of the more unlikely people to visit Disney parks much if at all. These groups are also likely to be repelled by the story because of their awareness of the gross and twisted irony of a company like Disney coming up with it. Disney are often criticized by these groups as being greedy, anti consumer and treating/paying their employees poorly. I'm skeptical that pandering to them will work particularly well.

There are going to be a ton of people who will just find this entire thing convoluted and stupid conceptually. Even if they enjoy other aspects of the ride when disconnected from the story.

EPCOT-O.G.

I think they’re very bright. It seems you just don’t like what they’re doing. Why frame it in terms of intelligence?
Their job is to build creative, themed attractions and environments full of spectacle to amuse and entertain guests.

Over the last few years, WDI has let go of some of their most heralded and competent cimagineers, and instead we’ve gotten stuff like MMRR (so-so, lacks the spectacle of the attraction it replaced), Web-Slingers, Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run, the Riviera Resort, the Boardwalk Cafe remodel, and what looks like very, very bland and uninspired designs at this Cotino community and the Poly DVC. The only bright spots are ROTR, a few clones from years’ old rides, and the highly expensive Cosmic Rewind (admittedly haven’t experienced it).

Put simply, the notion that WDI is filled with “bright people” is unearned based on who’s departed, what we’ve seen of their recent output, and what’s been previewed.

RobWDW1971

Exactly, he is staring and waving at a blank wall while they are on the complete opposite side up ahead.

Or are you trying to imply (giggle) that he is actually looking in the opposite direction because up ahead (out of his view) they are on the complete opposite side? It makes total sense now!

OK, this is fun, now explain then in the WDW version why he's looking and waving directly at them on the correct side? Is that ALSO correct?

Defending WDI stupidity is both challenging and entertaining!

Trauma

No. I took issue with posters here insulting the intelligence of the people at Disney/WDI. It wasn’t a “valid argument” (not was it kind, informed, or true) to say that these folks are not smart.
Yes but the overall point remains.

Just because they are intelligent doesn’t mean they are good at their job.

I don’t think Einstein would automatically have been a great imagineer.

Tom Morrow

Disclaimer: I am NOT someone who has been vocally angry about Splash Mountain leaving, but I have had reservations all along that they won't do this right.

This sounds extremely underwhelming and not to mention half-baked. It does not seem to match the concept art they have released so far, the general aesthetics of Splash Mountain (it would be really easy to retheme to "the bayou"), or the name they gave this. It almost makes me think the project has hit "development hell" where everyone must get their ideas included and the end result is a mess.

I hope they can prove me wrong, The best I can say is that at least it's not just a retelling of the film or a "reboot" where it's a "new story" but they revisit the same things, like The Seas With Nemo and Friends.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Eugh.

Even ignoring the fact that Splash Mountain was sacrificed to get this built, why is THIS the plot of a Princess and the Frog ride? Who looks at that movie and says "Hey, y'know what they should do? Build a ride taking place after the film where Tiana runs a food co-op!"? Why can't we just have a fun adventure in the bayou? It's like if they built a dark ride based on Aladdin, except it takes place after the movie and focuses on Jasmine being the CEO of a cosmetics company or some crap like that, with none of the fun scenes or songs featured in the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

celluloid

This sounds extremely underwhelming and not to mention half-baked. It does not seem to match the concept art they have released so far, the general aesthetics of Splash Mountain (it would be really easy to retheme to "the bayou"), or the name they gave this.

The best I can say is that at least it's not just a retelling of the film or a "reboot" where it's a "new story" but they revisit the same things, like The Seas With Nemo and Friends.

Exactly. It is particularly insulting that the THEME is all that was really changing with this. A lot of it pen and paper to guide the retheming of an already proven dynamic. WDI does not even have the sensibilities to present that well anymore.

Universal, Regional parks and museum exhibits have gotten better minds getting their work produced because of this.

This also sounds like quite the thrilling TV series. Sound like a one or two seasoner to me at this rate.

celluloid

It was not insulting for those who understand how the word intelligence works. it is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge. They are not showing evidence that they are doing that in the industry they were once the leaders in. Please quit beating the dead horse you had explained to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom