News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Midwest Elitist

I just find it funny because it was a way to attribute a quote to Walt that may or may not have ever been something that happened.

Which may have been your point about the MK riverboat? I’m not good with understanding jokes on these forums lol
It feels like it's an unnecessary slant toward Splash fans.

JohnD

Yes but the part you already know and are leaving out is they could have built an E ticket Tiana elsewhere on a ride system custom designed for the story they want to tell.
That would cost extra money. If they're going to close Splash, why build a completely new ride system? Far cheaper to retheme Splash. Again, I don't disagree with your wishful thinking but it simply was never going to happen.

solidyne

The difference here is that the ride isn't being demolished. Much of those lovely southern vibes are going to remain. All of those outdoor queue areas, the views of the fireworks, the smells of the water, the rustic wood structures: it's all going to be there waiting for us in the next attraction. Yeah, the loss of what is iconic Disney music is a big one, but from an attraction standpoint, I'm optimistic. Disney has way too many reasons they cannot fail with this re-theme. If anything, I think other stuff gets cut/pushed in order to make this one work.
I'm afraid your insider-fed optimism is just pixieduster bait. I have zero confidence that TBA will do anything but fail.

The last success IMO was the Double Dumbo, and that's embarrassing.

MagicHappens1971

I'm afraid your insider-fed optimism is just pixieduster bait. I have zero confidence that TBA will do anything but fail.

The last success IMO was the Double Dumbo, and that's embarrassing.
TBA will not fail. It can not. There’s not enough pixie dust in the world to help Disney recover from the negative PR that would occur if it did. You may not like TBA when it opens, but it will not be a failure. It will be highly detailed, it will feature several AAs of Tiana, Louis, and friends, as well as critters and more. This retheme has to be at the least as good as Splash or better. It’s simple. Not trying to attack you, but it’s basically fact. TBA will not fail.

EPCOT-O.G.

TBA will not fail. It can not. There’s not enough pixie dust in the world to help Disney recover from the negative PR that would occur if it did. You may not like TBA when it opens, but it will not be a failure. It will be highly detailed, it will feature several AAs of Tiana, Louis, and friends, as well as critters and more. This retheme has to be at the least as good as Splash or better. It’s simple. Not trying to attack you, but it’s basically fact. TBA will not fail.
Disneyland Paris cannot fail…
Disney California Adventure cannot fail…
DisneyQuest cannot fail…
Star Wars theatrical releases cannot fail…
Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser cannot fail…

solidyne

I, like so many others, want this to be true. When you get to a certain age, though, you realize that things just get worse. It is much easier to acknowledge that than to get hopes up.

[This is not a matter of being anti-retheme; I'm not. I like PatF. There's just no way that this generation's creative talent can top the prior's. Every art form has its day, and for theme parks, that day is done.]

Drdcm

I, like so many others, want this to be true. When you get to a certain age, though, you realize that things just get worse. It much easier to acknowledge that than to get hopes up.

[This is not a matter of being anti-retheme; I'm not. I like PatF. There's just no way that this generation's creative talent can top the prior's. Every art form has its day, and for theme parks, that day is done.]
The first time I did FOP, I thought it was incredible. It felt like I was actually there. That being said, ever since then, I’ve had trouble with being able to focus and see well while on the ride. I’m not sure why.

Maybe it’s just that the new generations art doesn’t appeal to you because it is a different generation who has different preferences? Not sure how old you are.

solidyne

The first time I did FOP, I thought it was incredible. It felt like I was actually there. That being said, ever since then, I’ve had trouble with being able to focus and see well while on the ride. I’m not sure why.

Maybe it’s just that the new generations art doesn’t appeal to you because it is a different generation who has different preferences? Not sure how old you are.
52! 😃

Oh yes, that could be, as with music, film, etc. Are there young people who prefer Smuggler's Run to, say, Pirates? Maybe so.

FOP would benefit from better glasses, frames that prevent peripheral distraction. It's blurry for me, too.

I'll hand it to the Millennials, though. I'm sure they could build a better video game than Tony Baxter...

Drdcm

52! 😃

Oh yes, that could be, as with music, film, etc. Are there young people who prefer Smuggler's Run to, say, Pirates? Maybe so.

FOP would benefit from better glasses, frames that prevent peripheral distraction. It's blurry for me, too.

I'll hand it to the Millennials, though. I'm sure they could build a better video game than Tony Baxter...
Nah I agree with you in general. I’m only 32. The classics are classics for a reason. I think for me it’s mostly about nostalgia, so the newer stuff doesn’t have the emotional connection for me, and is inherently less satisfying

EPCOT-O.G.

I don’t think it will “fail” (objectively speaking) as it’s an E-ticket in crowded parks. It’s going to have high ridership regardless of the theming. But whether it has the capacity to be thematically underwhelming, or not do proper justice to the source material or songs? Absolutely.

I think the capacity for whether it’s a failure is mitigated by it being one attraction (and a replacement at that) than a standalone experience (like an entire park or resort hotel)

Last edited by a moderator:

solidyne

Nah I agree with you in general. I’m only 32. The classics are classics for a reason. I think for me it’s mostly about nostalgia, so the newer stuff doesn’t have the emotional connection for me, and is inherently less satisfying
Indeed. It's hard to view the parks without the "nostalgia filter" on, but I try.

Disney Glimpses

TBA will not fail. It can not.
This is the common sentiment within. Failure is not an option. Failure means not only seriously upsetting decades worth of acquired guests and fans but also means they did not put in a worthy effort to promote a cause that is the entire reason for the re-theme in the first place. The latter is a more significant issue.

I just wouldn't expect much else from Disney until after this attraction clears their books.

MagicHappens1971

This is the common sentiment within. Failure is not an option. Failure means not only seriously upsetting decades worth of acquired guests and fans but also means they did not put in a worthy effort to promote a cause that is the entire reason for the re-theme in the first place. The latter is a more significant issue.

I just wouldn't expect much else from Disney until after this attraction clears their books.
Thank you for posting this.

I understand people are disappointed with recent Disney additions & rethemes. I have been as well.

I understand that people don’t want this retheme. I disagree.

The point is, TBA (at least from a quality standpoint) will not fail.

From those who were posting tribute videos and memorials to Splash, it may be considered a failure.

Jrb1979

By the time it's open people will forget. Only the hardcores care. When's the last time they should they care about them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom