News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

dovetail65

The earliest budgets were $30-35 million. It is allegedly FAR higher now. Not Cosmic Rewind levels, but very healthy. Don't have an exact number. I think Frozen was like 60 or 70 million. I'd figure Tiana would need 9 figures to come out decent, but someone who actually knows the amount will have to say either way.
Cosmic Rewind cost 500 million, no way a retheme of Splash Mountain cost near that.

I know we are not talking roller coaster here, but for those that want to know here are the top 8 most expensive to build coasters:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cosmic Rewind cost 500 million, no way a retheme of Splash Mountain cost near that.

I know we are not talking roller coaster here, but for those that want to know here are the top 8 most expensive to build coasters:

Does this take into account the money they got back for selling the dinosaurs on Ebay?

retr0gate

The question is what would you do with the space occupied by CBJ if this becomes Port Orleans? Presumably a gift shop like Eudora’s I suppose if you can make up for the lost attraction capacity by doing the “Beyond Big Thunder attractions, possibly slicing into Rivers of America.

I know TDO planner would be absolutely thrilled to not have to maintain as many AAs and devote more space to merch and F&B spending.
"Jazz Bear Jamboree"

JohnD

Yeah, I saw that. I'm just saying I'm glad it's not being done regardless of the reason.
I'm conflicted. The idea of a salt dome puts a bad taste in my mouth. The tree seemed more natural. So while I don't necessarily lean toward the tree concept, I'm dubious over the salt mine concept.

_caleb

I find the movie somewhat dull outside of the animated sequences, Baskett and McDaniel's performances and the fantastic music throughout. But it's not remotely one of their worst movies. Nor is it offensive. There are other Disney movies with actual offensive mean-spirited scenes and character in them that they're still allowing to be sold and viewed. Mickey Mouse's innate design is claimed to be blackface, why isn't he being purged from the company? I know the answer, lets see if anyone else does...
I thought the new and improved you was going to avoid this stuff.

UNCgolf

I'm conflicted. The idea of a salt dome puts a bad taste in my mouth. The tree seemed more natural. So while I don't necessarily lean toward the tree concept, I'm dubious over the salt mine concept.

The salt mine idea seems silly, but my concern with the boat/tree was how it would affect the surrounding areas. It seems like it would have added significant height and potentially been visible from areas where you really shouldn't be able to see it.

JohnD

And if salt loses its flavor, which what can you flavor it with? It is no good but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
1674587714979.jpeg

yensidtlaw1969

I have never seen a confirmation but it is weird that not a single piece of concept art or PR piece has mentioned him or villainy. Disney has gone away from anything animated film villain based since New Fantasyland.

Frozen
Beauty and The Beast in Tokyo
Snow White's redo in DL's Fantasyland

His lack of involvement with the Disney Plus series makes it less likely, as the way the biz works is typically whoever is on contract will record their lines while they have them. Definitely not confirmation, but another strong indicator.
Snow White's Enchanted Wish fully features The Wicked Queen/Hag from Snow White. Her presence is only slightly diminished over Snow White's Scary Adventures - it's more that the tone of the finale was lightened than it is that the Villain was neutered or removed.

retr0gate

The salt mine idea seems silly, but my concern with the boat/tree was how it would affect the surrounding areas. It seems like it would have added significant height and potentially been visible from areas where you really shouldn't be able to see it.
Definitely would have been visible from Adventureland. I know there are certain angles where you can see the tree stump currently.

FettFan

The state’s own institutions disagree with you:

Their numbers were, however, much lower in the 1930s, when, because of hunting, they were “limited to small areas of the Amite and Comite river basins in East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, St. Helena, Ascension and Livingston parishes.”

That’s rather amazing as I’ve lived in Livingston parish for over 30 years. Camped in the woods, paddled the rivers, ran the backroads.

No signs of beaver anywhere. 🤷🏻‍♂️

LittleBuford

That’s rather amazing as I’ve lived in Livingston parish for over 30 years. Camped in the woods, paddled the rivers, ran the backroads.

No signs of beaver anywhere. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm in no position to question your personal experience, but multiple organisations in your state report that beavers are present there, and in quite abundant numbers. I don't think it's all that surprising that you yourself haven't come across any. I am from London and have never once seen a bat there, though they are apparently quite common.

brb1006

Disney doesn't do this kind of stuff back to them because it's not good form to be seen punching down.

This always comes off as so tacky to me. It’s huge “pick me” energy, and makes both parks come off as super desperate.

Maybe try using your handles to promote your own parks, as opposed to commenting on everything Disney does.

it is getting Sea World and Uni a lot of free publicity and advertisement though

And I read it as fun. If the social is fun the park might be a fun place to be

In the pre Iger era, Disney would frequently take shots at other entertainment companies. Particularly ones they deemed lesser than them. Walt Disney created Disneyland because he felt that other theme parks had a reputation for being dirty and dilapidated, and he felt he could do it better (he was right). This continued into the Eisner era, remember the Possum Park scene in Goofy Movie? They brought it on themselves by being the first to do it.

The only reason this largely stopped under Iger is because the other companies (talking Universal specifically) have actually grown to the point where they're posing legitimate threat to some of their non castle parks. Acknowledging them validates their existence and endangers the bubble they've carefully crafted.

Timber Mountain is a great log flume and easily the second best by far. But all three variants of Splash are still superior by a significant margin. There are lapses in the quality of scenery on Timber that Splash doesn't have. There's a lot of bare unthemed flume trench seen in most other log flumes and the surrounding rockwork doesn't hold a candle to Disney's. The animatronics also aren't as good as Disney's (when Disney's actually work that is). Splash is also longer, and the music is also far better.
This topic reminds me of that one time both Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm created advertisements to honor both park's anniversaries back in 1980.

Knott's Berry Farm (which turned 60) created an advertisement featuring Mickey honoring Disneyland's 25th Anniversary published on January 1980.
KnottsAndDisneyland.jpeg

Disneyland (which turned 25) created a sweet and heartfelt illustration of Mickey Mouse and a prospector (representing Knott's) that was published seven months later.
DisneylandandKnotts.jpeg

Here's more info from 8bitdan the original poster of those two ads.
"I work at Knotts and I thought this was kind of cool to share. Knotts Berry Farm (est. 1920) and Disneyland (est. 1955) are only about 7 miles apart. Walter Knott assisted Walt Disney in getting Disneyland off the ground. Interesting to see ads that show a rare relationship between what would normally be considered two "competing" businesses."

Stuff like this would sadly not happen nowadays.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom