Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

Kamikaze

Yes. But. You could see them getting a bit more into the specifics (or plans) if nothing else than to blunt the proxy arguments on their handling of the parks (though I don’t think Peltz and others are saying their not sufficiently investing in them?)
Don't get twisted about Peltz. He only wants to make more money. He couldn't care less about reinvestment in parks. He would only want them to spend money if it could be directly monetized to make more.

Kamikaze

I think the best one could hope for is a timeline on investment that was already planned - such as a date for the Quintet ride at DCA - or a commitment to increasing Capex.

I think they are going to do the latter - the market is clearly asking for it. They see the parks as a better bet at the moment than the black hole of streaming content.

They might even hold an investor day in the future much like the one for Disney+ where they do make announcements and lay out plans.
That's supposed to be D23.

But I agree, a more concrete commitment to capital expenditures is the absolute best that can be hoped for.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That part of the panel was so embarrassing. I would have to imagine that D'Amaro begged for something to show, and thats all they had.
Ugh…it’s really hard to unpack…

The blame of course goes to chappie…who in 27 years didn’t notice that the entire point of people showing up was for new ride announcements?? That is it. They just shoulda cancelled it.

As far as “Josh” goes…there is zero evidence to suggest that he isn’t anything more than a figurehead/tool. That position hasn’t had power in 20 years…because of our old friend Dr. Pressler…he made so many sweeping, longterm changes that Iger was never gonna have more than an errand boy there again.
So he needs to do something to prove anything.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One billion dollars sounds like a lot of money. For many things it is a lot of money. When it comes to Disney theme parks it does not go far, even if it is all concentrated at one location. Walt Disney World just spent half of that on a roller coaster.
Especially when you make that number a PR point…and dilute it over time to blunt the actual capex commitment

Lilofan

Exclusive fireworks viewing locations…has anyone thought of that yet?

I mean…DUH!!
Wouldn’t anywhere around World Showcase be an exclusive viewing location ? One cool thing we saw was when guests were driven in a small motor boat into the lagoon before evening fireworks and parked right by the Mexico dining to view fireworks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wouldn’t anywhere around World Showcase be an exclusive viewing location ? One cool thing we saw was when guests were driven in a small motor boat into the lagoon before evening fireworks and parked right by the Mexico dining to view fireworks.
I was joking…if you recall they were building just that in the current plan but canceled it…wisely

The firework cruises were a thing for a long while…though I think they mostly retreated back to the IG…again wisely

Lilofan

I was joking…if you recall they were building just that in the current plan but canceled it…wisely

The firework cruises were a thing for a long while…though I think they mostly retreated back to the IG…again wisely
Thanks for the update. Firework cruises or better yet rent a tourist helicopter and fly at edge of lagoon to view fireworks. That’s was a sight to see !

jpinkc

I can’t imagine they’d announce anything specific but it is plausible they’d talk about investing $x into the parks or something. Would go along with Josh saying that they have plenty of money to spend on the parks.

But reality is that it’s all talk until we at least get some walls up and dirt being dug (and ladders!)
And they learn how to BUILD not waffle on construction.

UNCgolf

One billion dollars sounds like a lot of money. For many things it is a lot of money. When it comes to Disney theme parks it does not go far, even if it is all concentrated at one location. Walt Disney World just spent half of that on a roller coaster.

I'd be happy if it just meant they were going to spend a bunch of additional money on routine maintenance to keep attractions and the parks themselves in top shape.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom