General Disney Movies/Studios News

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Am I looking at a different image than you guys? I see 12 live action Disney movies for 2025/26 and One for 20th Century (Avatar 4).

Either those are mostly actually 20thC or Searchlight films (notice there is no "Untitled 20th Century" or "Untitled Searchlight " or "Untitled LucasFilm",

Or...someone has taken the release dates of all Disney Pictures (live action) that are coming out to either the theater or D+ and just listed them as theatrical releases.

Because, Disney Pictures almost certainly will not put out that many movies in theaters. Since 2019, here's what Disney Studios (live action) has been doing:

Theatrical releases:

1674410501769.png

And D+ Releases

1674410579475.png

BrianLo

Either those are mostly actually 20thC or Searchlight films (notice there is no "Untitled 20th Century" or "Untitled Searchlight " or "Untitled LucasFilm",

Or...someone has taken the release dates of all Disney Pictures (live action) that are coming out to either the theater or D+ and just listed them as theatrical releases.

Because, Disney Pictures almost certainly will not put out that many movies in theaters. Since 2019, here's what Disney Studios (live action) has been doing:

Theatrical releases:

View attachment 694139

And D+ Releases

View attachment 694140

Oh ok. This was what I meant, that there wasn’t any upcoming untitled fox movies. It is a reasonable theory that they are just placeholders for whatever live action tentpole. I was disturbed because none of them listed 20th as the studio.

I’ll have to look back at what they were calling Indy 5 once upon a time.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Updated slate of theatrical movies through 2026 - a new untitled Disney movie has been added on December 1st, 2023.

View attachment 693719

View attachment 693718

View attachment 693717

If they are listing 20th Century and Searchlight films with "20th" and "Searchlight" instead of Disney on the list, then it really doesn’t feel like the former two studios are technically integrated into the Walt Disney Studios unit, but possibly more like Miramax/Dimension when Disney owned them, making 20th and Searchlight possible targets for acquisition in the (distant) future. Just saying.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Could they be moving a film meant for streaming to theatrical as we have seen done with films such as Smile?
I'd rather have Disney do that. We need more live-action Disney films on the big screen than streaming! A reason for kids and families to go out to the movies more than be at home for all movies.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If they are listing 20th Century and Searchlight films with "20th" and "Searchlight" instead of Disney on the list, then it really doesn’t feel like the former two studios are technically integrated into the Walt Disney Studios unit, but possibly more like Miramax/Dimension when Disney owned them, making 20th and Searchlight possible targets for acquisition in the (distant) future. Just saying.
That is not how that works. They are wholly owned subsidiaries of The Walt Disney Company. They cannot be acquired by another company unless Disney is selling them. And that is not something likely to happen now or in the distance future if ever.

tcool123

I'd rather have Disney do that. We need more live-action Disney films on the big screen than streaming! A reason for kids and families to go out to the movies more than be at home for all movies.
While not Disney but 20th Century horror this recent updated film schedule does show they’re willing to do so as The Boogeyman was originally meant for streaming but is now theatrical

LSLS

Man you are really on this "Disney is selling 20th Century Studios" kick, huh? So your evidence of this is that Disney is still releasing movies under a 20th Century brand (a brand name they changed for themselves)?

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
The problem I have with this whole Disney/21st Century Fox merger is that 20th Century Studios doesn’t really do kids/family and cartoon films, unlike 20th Century Fox. (Ron's Gone Wrong, Call of the Wild, and Bob's Burgers were Fox-era holdovers.) The newer Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Ice Age, Night at the Museum, Cheaper By The Dozen, and Hone Alone films are under the Disney label, despite having a copyright for 20th Century at the end of said films.

Man you are really on this "Disney is selling 20th Century Studios" kick, huh?
Yeah. At first I had no problem, but the whole Chapek crisis and Iger's return made the merger come to haunt me.
So your evidence of this is that Disney is still releasing movies under a 20th Century brand (a brand name they changed for themselves)?
Duh.
How many if James Murdoch bought back Fox?

(Answer: 6)
I wonder if he is much like his father in terms of what he does?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The problem I have with this whole Disney/21st Century Fox merger is that 20th Century Studios doesn’t really do kids/family and cartoon films, unlike 20th Century Fox. (Ron's Gone Wrong, Call of the Wild, and Bob's Burgers were Fox-era holdovers.) The newer Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Ice Age, Night at the Museum, Cheaper By The Dozen, and Hone Alone films are under the Disney label, despite having a copyright for 20th Century at the end of said films.
This would be the same as any other company buying 20th Century. They would pick and choose which IPs they want under which brand, ie which studios under the corporate umbrella releases which films.

Sorry but this idea that somehow another company would "save" the "20th Century Fox" name is not realistic.

Again not how that works.

I wonder if he is much like his father in terms of what he does?
He is just like his father, some say worse. He was in favor of the sale.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Domee Shi (director for Turning Red) has another feature film in the works at Pixar -

"Shi is currently in development of another feature film at Pixar, but can’t reveal any details. “All I can really say about it is it’ll be very me and will be very much inspired by my background, my culture, and the themes and ideas that I love talking about… I think with movies like ours and Everything Everywhere All at Once, it’s just really cool and really important to be see more of these stories in the media.”"

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don’t care.
Well I give you credit for that....

But seriously the likelihood of Disney selling the 20th Century assets at all is close to zero if not zero. And the likelihood of another company buying Fox and then buying 20th Century to merge them back into 20th Century Fox is less than zero.

Other than that, keep your dream alive. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member

tcool123

That is downright unfair, especially for the rival studios! It's an example of Disney being "greedy pigs". Do you agree with me on that?
No because Disney, after selling off Miramax and allowing for their deal with Dreamworks to lapse, is not one to get the nominations of the major categories.

Their normal production slate typically results in much smaller nomination counts. Without 20th century Disney drops to 7 nominations, with the only one of note being Angela Bassett for Supporting Actress.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom