The DC Comics Film Thread

Screamface

I was entertained by Black Adam. The film isn't amazing, but there's little to complain about. No eye rolling bad stuff like in WW84. It was just solid and decently entertaining.

sedati

D.C. stands for "Diamonds into Coal" They took the most well known comic book characters in all the world and made them second rate. Hopefully things can turn around- Marvel needs good competition.

LSLS

"I know, let's completely start over! Maybe nobody will notice."

Unpopular opinion, good. I don't think Gunn is a loss to Marvel at all personally, I don't think GotG movies are good. BUT, if he can work his way through the comics and create a universe, that is also good, as I don't want DC to be terrible, those are the characters I grew up with on TV.

Screamface

D.C. stands for "Diamonds into Coal" They took the most well known comic book characters in all the world and made them second rate. Hopefully things can turn around- Marvel needs good competition.

For all the failings of the DCU, Affleck as Batman and Cavil as Superman are still on the Downey as Iron Man level. Basicaly no other still standing Marvel actor and character are on that level. Hems as Thor has taken a massive hit after that last Thor movie.

Marvel is now transitioning into TV actors and no presence as it goes all in on the female reboot. Which we all know will suck because it's not creatively motivated.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For all the failings of the DCU, Affleck as Batman and Cavil as Superman are still on the Downey as Iron Man level. Basicaly no other still standing Marvel actor and character are on that level. Hems as Thor has taken a massive hit after that last Thor movie.

Marvel is now transitioning into TV actors and no presence as it goes all in on the female reboot. Which we all know will suck because it's not creatively motivated.
Affleck, Cavil, and Downey all did TV. Affleck and Cavil started out on TV. Downey did mostly movies, but he did do 25 episodes of Alley McBeal. So... wrong.

What "all female reboot"? Loki, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Gaurdians, Secret Invastion (featuring a *movie star*), almost all the Avengers, half the Eternals, Spider-Man (all 4 of them), Doctor Strange (featuring a *movie star*), Ant-Man, Captain America 4.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

_caleb

You think Cavill as Superman and Affleck as Batman are as good as Downey as Iron Man? Huh.

Screamface

You think Cavill as Superman and Affleck as Batman are as good as Downey as Iron Man? Huh.
Not what I said.

They are iconic in the roles.

People can and see the next Spiderman movie. Not the next Tom Holland Spiderman film. Most people don't know the names of the actors in Marvel films. Yet people get excited to see these actors in their roles.

Last edited:

_caleb

Not what I said.

They iconic in the roles.

People can and see the next Spiderman movie. Not the next Tom Holland Spiderman film. Most people don't know the names of the actors in Marvel films. Yet people get excited to see these actors in their roles.
interesting take

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Black Adam's weekend take dropped about 50% (57% domestically, 44% internationally). Which means it's likely to keep that fall week after week (which most movies do). So, we're talking anywhere from $380M to $480 BO take. But it needs $585 to break even.

So, it'll be considered a financial flop and a critical flop. Audience scores are high on the self-reported sites (but the CineScore poll wasn't high at all).

This is going to create an interesting dynamic at WBD. The CEO wants these tentpoles to fund the company, but this one ain't gonna do that. His instinct will be to kill any further Black Adam movies.

But the Rock came in hot into the power vacuum at WB/DC to pretty much using his star power to dictate the making of this movie. And he's been shooting off his mouth about future projects like he's running the place. ( He also overreached when he talked about how the theme park's Jungle Cruise ride will be updated to match is Jungle Cruise movie). And the Rock has been hawking a Black Adam v. Cavill's Superman movie.

And now, James Gunn is in control. Who, BTW, is fine with Cavill.

But, can The Rock and Gunn get the budget for a Black Adam v. Superman movie after Black Adam loses money? Can such movies afford two (or more) big stars with a $200M budget (or more) that requires a Box Office of $600M (or more) just to break even? There's a CEO now that kills anything that isn't profitable and is mostly comfortable with unscripted baking shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom