SPOILERS: Indiana Jones 5 (Jun 30, 2023)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The universe of the Indiana Jones franchise doesn't exist without the main character. It's not like Star Wars.
Says who? You? Just because you feel its only limited to Indy himself doesn't mean it can't be expanded upon. Heck even your example started out as just the Skywalker saga, and yet its been expanded on (even by fans themselves) because its bigger than just the Skywalker family.

It would be better to simply make a new franchise about an archeologist or explorer or anything else. A Mary Oceaneer franchise for example would be awesome.
Why make a new franchise when you can fill out this universe a lot more with a lot more characters. For example, why not the adventures of a young Marcus Brody, or a young Abner Ravenwood. There is more characters to this universe and more stories to be told than just Indy.

Also they have another archeologist franchise, one which they are expanding also without the main character, National Treasure.

The only logical reason to continue the franchise without the main character would be advertise based off the nostalgia for the main character, which is setting up to the new character for unneeded criticism.
So what? Hollywood has been doing that for a long time, long before Disney ever did it. For example its a very common TV trope, continue on in a world without the main original characters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But it can work. Solo isn't a great example because like every star wars movie, except ep8, was extremely troubled. While I don't think the movie was ever destined for a billion, it should have done a lot more. You need to be able to read the room. Something Disney is pretty terrible at. People weren't clamoring for a young Solo movie. It was never going to be a billion plus showing. Recasting one of the most iconic figures in cinema history, is a tall order. Fords played 2 of them.

Keep in mind, there are good examples of recasting younger that has worked really well. Star trek and xmen are two good examples. Heck, say what you want about the prequels, but Ewan is as beloved in star wars as ANY character. I'd even go as far to say it's already been successful in the Indy franchise. The young Indiana Jones tv show is very well liked among fans.
You do realize that viewership was low for the Young Indy series right? Its the reason it was cancelled after 2 seasons. They tried to do a few more made for TV movies, but those also had low viewership. So that isn't a really good example of how recasting Indy is going to somehow be different this time.

Also as was said already recasting works when the character is larger than the actor playing it, soap operas are a perfect example, or they have setup to have it be part of the story like Doctor Who. When you have an iconic actor playing an iconic character they become the character and fans can't see any other actor playing that character.

spacemt354

Chili's
Says who? You?
Why the accusative tone? I'm not attacking you and perhaps I poorly worded my view.

What I meant was the story of 'Indiana Jones' is focused on him moreso than a franchise like Star Wars, especially when the last four films have the name 'Indiana Jones' in the title.

So to me, if Indiana Jones retires/dies/etc in Dial of Destiny, then the story of 'Indiana Jones' is complete.

If another character becomes the lead of future films, has similar characteristics/adventures as Indy, and it's marketed as a 'continuation of Indy films' -- that's where I feel like it would be bringing on unneeded criticism off the bat.

Yet, if Disney wants to spin-off films about side characters within the universe I don't see an issue with that if there are good stories to tell.

erasure fan1

I’m not sure what is confusing you. Indy retires. Phoebe continues as a fun, skin-of-her-teeth, adventuring archaeologist in the same narrative universe. Maybe she wears the hat.
Maybe. But Im pretty sure that is exactly what the main part of the rumors were. Time travel and Helena continuing the role.
I don’t think they make movie trailers to dispel internet rumors.
The point of a trailer is to give you a baseline of what your film is about. And to get people to want to see said movie. They felt strong enough about the rumors to address them in an interview. My point was you can frame a trailer to hit certain points so people are clear on the direction of the film. It's called getting ahead of things. They lead the narrative instead of a few internet personalities.
You do realize that viewership was low for the Young Indy series right? Its the reason it was cancelled after 2 seasons. They tried to do a few more made for TV movies, but those also had low viewership. So that isn't a really good example of how recasting Indy is going to somehow be different this time.
Ok, so the viewership wasn't great. It was well liked by fans. So Andor shouldn't continue because viewership hasn't been great?

MickeyMouse10

I don't think Indy should pass the baton to someone else. This is his franchise. Let Phoebe Waller Bridge get her own movie and see how bad that does.

MickeyMouse10

If they're going to continue the Franchise it should be with a Younger Indy. There's still a lot that can be told from that time period.

If it was upto me Ansel Elgort would get the fedora and whip. Since Chris Pratt has officially aged out of the role. He looks the part and is very likable in whatever he's in.

Phroobar

If they're going to continue the Franchise it should be with a Younger Indy. There's still a lot that can be told from that time period.

If it was upto me Ansel Elgort would get the fedora and whip. Since Chris Pratt has officially aged out of the role. He looks the part and is very likable in whatever he's in.
Chris Pratt can't be everyone.
I stopped watching the Young Indiana Jones Chronicals because it felt more like a history lesson than Indy. I've watched it recently. It would probably be a hit on Disney+ since it is about as slow paced as Andor.

I preferred Tales of the Gold Monkey. That show had adventure and was silly just like Tail Spin.

iu

erasure fan1

Chris Pratt can't be everyone.
I can see Pratt in this type of role though. I would have liked to see him replace Shia as his son and continue that thread from 4. Pratt has a good acting style and personality for the part. He's similar to Ford in some ways. He can be funny, he can be serious and he has the physicality for the role.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe. But Im pretty sure that is exactly what the main part of the rumors were. Time travel and Helena continuing the role.

The point of a trailer is to give you a baseline of what your film is about. And to get people to want to see said movie. They felt strong enough about the rumors to address them in an interview. My point was you can frame a trailer to hit certain points so people are clear on the direction of the film. It's called getting ahead of things. They lead the narrative instead of a few internet personalities.

Ok, so the viewership wasn't great. It was well liked by fans. So Andor shouldn't continue because viewership hasn't been great?
Andor has been popping in and out of the top 10 of all original streaming shows through its first season. And is a limited run series anyways, with only 24 episodes. So that isn't a good comparison. Its already ending at 2 seasons.

Young Indy I don't think got into the top 25 much beyond its debut episode. In fact from what I can find its season 2 was in the 100s most of the time out of 139 spots back in 1993, especially toward the end of the season. So if it ever did have viewers they trailed off really quickly.

Young Indy wasn't well liked enough back then to bring in the viewers, again its why it got cancelled. That is not to take away anything that you personally like about the series, it just didn't have the wide spread appeal that you think it does.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why the accusative tone? I'm not attacking you and perhaps I poorly worded my view.

What I meant was the story of 'Indiana Jones' is focused on him moreso than a franchise like Star Wars, especially when the last four films have the name 'Indiana Jones' in the title.

So to me, if Indiana Jones retires/dies/etc in Dial of Destiny, then the story of 'Indiana Jones' is complete.

If another character becomes the lead of future films, has similar characteristics/adventures as Indy, and it's marketed as a 'continuation of Indy films' -- that's where I feel like it would be bringing on unneeded criticism off the bat.

Yet, if Disney wants to spin-off films about side characters within the universe I don't see an issue with that if there are good stories to tell.
The point is just because you personally don't see the franchise as being beyond Indy is on you. The creators/owners appear to feel different, and that is their right. Just like its your right to feel the way that you do.

If the creators/owners of the franchise say that the universe is big enough to tell stories beyond Indy, well then that is the answer. Meaning they see the franchise is bigger than just the single character being the sole focus.

spacemt354

Chili's
If the creators/owners of the franchise say that the universe is big enough to tell stories beyond Indy, well then that is the answer. Meaning they see the franchise is bigger than just the single character being the sole focus.
I've already stated I have no qualms with this direction if there are good stories to tell, after the story of Indiana Jones is complete.

The only thing I would not agree with is another character taking the mantle of 'Indiana Jones' to continue with 'Indiana Jones 6, 7, 8 etc' If their plan is to make more 'Indiana Jones' films, then I'd rather see them recast or use the de-aging tech for those stories.

_caleb

I've already stated I have no qualms with this direction if there are good stories to tell, after the story of Indiana Jones is complete.

The only thing I would not agree with is another character taking the mantle of 'Indiana Jones' to continue with 'Indiana Jones 6, 7, 8 etc' If their plan is to make more 'Indiana Jones' films, then I'd rather see them recast or use the de-aging tech for those stories.
Indiana was the dog’s name

CaptainMickey

The point is just because you personally don't see the franchise as being beyond Indy is on you. The creators/owners appear to feel different, and that is their right. Just like its your right to feel the way that you do.

Probably a good call they didn't name Star Wars, "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker" or "Luke Skywalker and A New Hope"

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Not quite what you said, but anyways I believe that has already been addressed as not happening. They may continue the franchise just without Indy.

erasure fan1

Andor has been popping in and out of the top 10 of all original streaming shows through its first season. And is a limited run series anyways, with only 24 episodes. So that isn't a good comparison. Its already ending at 2 seasons.
I like Andor a lot, but I don't think it has the widespread appeal you think it does either. Andor was originally planned as 5 seasons. So if it really hit the broad appeal I would think they would have expanded it back out. Sure it just ended so maybe that will still happen. But I think Disney has that data so we would have heard something.

I'll leave it at this. I'm looking forward to Indy 5 and I'm hoping it's everything it should be. Do I think it could go sideways? Of course I do, it is Disney and lucasfilm we are talking about. Can they replace Indy with a female, or recast or continue with his son? Of course they can, and it could be good. I just don't trust the people in charge to do it right.

Prince-1

Yea, that's fine. You can read into it how you want. I've been pretty positive on this trailer hoping the movie is good. I'd say I'm being more open minded than you. I can at least admit there's a chance this goes sideway. Especially with Kennedys track record. Do I want it to fail? No, I've loved the character since I was a kid.

Here's the thing. That's a fine scenario, and could make a lot of sense. My question is why won't they come out and say that? Their trailer could have dispelled all the noise. I think the movie gets a lot of the same criticism if it was his son taking over as well. You know what would have worked best? One last pure Ford Indiana Jones film with him walking into the sunset. Then you recast for a younger Indy. Something after the age of the young Indy series but before the films. Problem solved. People really don't want a knock off Indy. We have plenty of those. Tomb raider, uncharted, the mummy, national treasure... We just want Indy.

You are definitely the person that Mangold was tweeting about. It is healthy to remove the tinfoil hat from your head at least once a day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom