SPOILERS: Indiana Jones 5 (Jun 30, 2023)

Casper Gutman

Hollywood already has female Indiana Jones movie/series, It's called Lara Croft - Tomb Raider. I'm a fan.

Disney has plenty of great female characters, why would they possibly consider replacing a massively popular male characters like Indiana Jones, right?

They have a ton of new shows with awesome, incredibly strong female characters, and that's really awesome!

But, Look at all the new strong male hero IP shows they have:
They have a series about Loki.. wait it's mainly about his female version.
They have a Hawkeye series...wait that was mainly about Kate Bishop
They have a new Iron Man...ah nevermind.
Is Thor still a shlub?
Obi-Wan Kenobi show set when he is supposed to be guarding young Luke on Tatooine...but it's about young Princess Leia?
They are doing a New National Treasure with Nicholas Cage, right?

You can't see why fans might be a little nervous about Indy?

We LOVE strong female characters. (Princess Leia, Jen Erso, Marvel, Disney Princesses!) (Not Disney, but awesome, Sara Connor - Terminator 2, Ripley - Aliens, etc.) No one wants these characters turned into men. Disney seems too lazy to come up with any original character lately. It's easier to just hi-jack an established character and it will have a built in audience already. I'm guessing most Indy fans won't be too thrilled if Helena takes his hat and his name, even if they don't erase his existence. Just a guess.
The Obi-Wan series was not “mainly” about Leia. Loki was not “mainly” about lady Loki. You’re making things up to be angry about, and you’re all over the map. You try to argue Disney Princesses are “strong female characters.” You claim to love characters like Leia and the Marvel women - a paragraph after complaining about Leia and the Marvel women! And trying to pretend Lara Croft is equivalent to Indy…

But let’s take this seriously. Let’s look at next Summer’s lineup and see if women are replacing all the men. Male led blockbusters: Guardians 3, Fast X, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Transformers, The Flash, Indy 5, Mission: Impossible, Oppenheimer, TMNT, Gran Turismo, Blue Beetle. Female led blockbusters: Little Mermaid, Elemental (maybe), Barbie, The Marvels. Clearly, women are taking over all the traditional male action roles! I say that satirically, but we’ll hear it in earnest a lot when The Marvels opens. Doomcock will be very angry.

Oh, and anyone who doesn’t think new Hawkeye (and new Black Widow) are massive upgrades over the flavorless originals confounds me.

Movielover

The Jedi legacy is broken. Luke became a hero by ignoring the explicit advice of his Jedi mentors, forming numerous profound personal attachments, frequently giving into emotion, and believing in a Father that the Jedi order had profoundly failed. He then spends years learning about a complacent, decadent order that did things like ignoring the enslavement of his grandmother and thousands of others on Tatooine in favor of negotiating trade agreements. Luke’s story absolutely leads to a reconsideration of the old Jedi code and the construction of something new. We got the first part of that, but unfortunately Disney got scared off from doing the second bit.
This 100%, Lets also not forget that at the end of The Last Jedi Luke confronts Ben, stalls The First Order, and saves the Resistance all while showcasing a tremendous power of the force (Force Projection across the galaxy) all while not taking a single life. That's arguably the most Jedi thing he's done. I love Hamil's performance in that movie, its so good!

Jedijax719

Okay NOW I see why some were talking about everything coming down to SW. Even I, with Jedi in his name, sees the overuse of SW analogies and discussion. Back to Indy.

I will have to see more from this movie to really get a feel of it. I love the Indy franchise (especially the 1st and 3rd movies of course). The 4th one just felt like just another Indy movie and not a monumental return and reunion it was meant to be. Now, in the "twilight" of Indy as was described (by Mangold himself I think), I HOPE that IJDOD is a true celebration and culmination of the past 41 years of adventures. From there, they can hopefully transition nicely into their D+ series that offers something new and fresh.

Casper Gutman

The adherents of the rumor simply say Mangold is lying. The rumor’s not based on reality, just a desperate need for a grievance.

Movielover

The adherents of the rumor simply say Mangold is lying. The rumor’s not based on reality, just a desperate need for a grievance.
And a lot of them are the same people who dismissed Andor without even watching it. Ignoring not only the best Star Wars tv show but simply a darn good show period simply due to their pettiness of having to say something is good.

CaptainMickey

And a lot of them are the same people who dismissed Andor without even watching it. Ignoring not only the best Star Wars tv show but simply a darn good show period simply due to their pettiness of having to say something is good.
I have been very disappointed with the Star Wars theatrical movies since Disney purchased Lucasfilm, except for Rogue One. That movie is excellent! Andor is a great show. (first two episodes are pretty slow and probably loose a lot people before it gets going, just my guess) Mandalorian is great. So Disney can do it! They just seem to miss a lot. There is hope.

CaptainAmerica

So when did they rename Raiders of the Lost Ark, and why hasn't it been remastered? My kids and I are having a lazy movie day and we just finished A New Hope, which looks incredible. Raiders looks like crap.

erasure fan1

There's a couple things off with this article. first, this notion that every fan that isn't thrilled with the prospect of a woman taking over somehow hates woman. That's no different than repeating everything doomcock or any other YouTuber says as fact. The fanbase loves their female characters. There's plenty of examples of fans loving female characters.

Secondly, let's be real. I trust what anyone in Hollywood is saying as far as I can throw them. Do we need to rehash the Netflix Masters of the universe debacle. This article says “One more time. No one is ‘taking over’ or replacing Indy or donning his hat nor is he being ‘erased’
I don't buy it. Sorry but Disney spent a lot of money for lucasfilm. There will be another Indy even if this movie is a train wreck. Will they recast? Maybe. But then come out and say that.

Jedijax719

Whatever the case may be, Ford can't do this forever. It seems like he can, that's for sure, but, well, no. So either they will have to stop making Indy films, make Indy films from when he's younger, or make them with someone else. Not sure about the alleged spoilers, but saying Indy isn't giving his proverbial hat to someone else seems a big disingenuous or like Mangold is forcing an answer to a question or rumor that, in all honesty, seems pretty common sense anyway.

lazyboy97o

So when did they rename Raiders of the Lost Ark, and why hasn't it been remastered? My kids and I are having a lazy movie day and we just finished A New Hope, which looks incredible. Raiders looks like crap.
It started around 1999 when they did a VHS release that ordered the TV show and movies chronologically as different chapters.

Phroobar

81nkWdpwp5L._SL1425_.jpg

The Lochness Monsta

I'm alright with female leads if it's organic. Like Ellen Ripley in Alien.

But what Disney and the rest of Hollywood has done lately hasn't been. They are just taking already established male franchises and making them female. See Ghostbusters 2016.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's a couple things off with this article. first, this notion that every fan that isn't thrilled with the prospect of a woman taking over somehow hates woman. That's no different than repeating everything doomcock or any other YouTuber says as fact. The fanbase loves their female characters. There's plenty of examples of fans loving female characters.

Secondly, let's be real. I trust what anyone in Hollywood is saying as far as I can throw them. Do we need to rehash the Netflix Masters of the universe debacle. This article says “One more time. No one is ‘taking over’ or replacing Indy or donning his hat nor is he being ‘erased’
I don't buy it. Sorry but Disney spent a lot of money for lucasfilm. There will be another Indy even if this movie is a train wreck. Will they recast? Maybe. But then come out and say that.
I think it comes down to point of view.

Are they continuing with the franchise with a new "Indy", maybe, and depends on your point of view. There has been talk about a D+ show, but no details on how or even if the Indy character will be involved.

Casper Gutman

You seem to trust misogynist you-tube Doomcock over the actual director of the film. I think that’s worth some introspection.

I’m sorry, but there is a very large portion of the fan base that absolutely does not love female characters. I direct you to the list of 2023 blockbusters in my previous post and then invite you to enjoy the acidic complaints that will surround the release of The Marvels.

Fans love two female characters, Ripley and Laura Conner, who get trotted out in every rant as, “I can’t be misogynist, I have a female pop culture friend.” (By the way, I don’t remember howls of outrage when Terminator Salvation swapped in male heroes for Laura). Just look at the vitriol around the “M-She-U,” despite the fact that the offending female characters are based on established comic characters, most of the male heroes are still around, and many of the new characters are incredibly well-written and well-performed.

As for Indy, Ford is done one way or the other and the character of Indy is done with him. Yes, the broad franchise will continue, headlined by Ravenwood or some other character “continuing the legacy.” As long as that continuation is well-written, well-acted, well-directed (and doesn’t star Shia LeBouf) the gender of the protagonist should not matter in the least.

Prince-1

I think Mangold may have had you in mind with his tweet.

CaptainAmerica

You seem to trust misogynist you-tube Doomcock over the actual director of the film. I think that’s worth some introspection.

I’m sorry, but there is a very large portion of the fan base that absolutely does not love female characters. I direct you to the list of 2023 blockbusters in my previous post and then invite you to enjoy the acidic complaints that will surround the release of The Marvels.

Fans love two female characters, Ripley and Laura Conner, who get trotted out in every rant as, “I can’t be misogynist, I have a female pop culture friend.” (By the way, I don’t remember howls of outrage when Terminator Salvation swapped in male heroes for Laura). Just look at the vitriol around the “M-She-U,” despite the fact that the offending female characters are based on established comic characters, most of the male heroes are still around, and many of the new characters are incredibly well-written and well-performed.

As for Indy, Ford is done one way or the other and the character of Indy is done with him. Yes, the broad franchise will continue, headlined by Ravenwood or some other character “continuing the legacy.” As long as that continuation is well-written, well-acted, well-directed (and doesn’t star Shia LeBouf) the gender of the protagonist should not matter in the least.
Men and women are different. Gender is not like race. Someone objecting to a Black Indiana Jones (or James Bond or Ariel) is probably just a racist. But gender is an actual meaningful thing that differentiates people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom