Trip Report Broken lifts, EMTs, and spitters (oh my!): WDW with a wheelchair and DAS

I’m back, Magicians! For those who don’t know me, my name is Emily. You may recognize me from my sister @krause's Disneyland trip report from this past April, which was in celebration of my 30th birthday! I also wrote a report in September 2018 from a trip with my friend Kaitlyn and @krause wrote one other from a WDW trip from February 2018 for a trip with her family, myself and our parents. The last time I was in WDW was November 2019 (don’t remember a report? You can blame @krause for that as she took the notes) and I cannot wait to get back!

Let's get to the details!

Who: Myself, and my friend Jenny. This is us (I'm on the right):
me and jen.jpg

Some background on Jenny: Jenny was born with cerebral palsy which, for her, means some physical and cognitive disabilities. Jenny will be using an electric wheelchair on our trip. Her physical disabilities affect her life far more than her cognitive disabilities and she lives very independently. That being said, we know that getting the DAS pass will make this trip much more comfortable for her and so we plan to try to get the DAS using the online chat option when the time comes. Jenny has been to WDW before, as a child in 1996 and then again as a teenager (2006ish?). She remembers very little about her ‘96 trip and as a teenager she only did one day at Magic Kingdom, so lots will be new to her!

Some other (probable) players include: My parents, and my sister Kaely, her husband and two children. They are at WDW similar days as us (arrive and leave two days later than we do) and are staying off-property. Our trip dates just happened to coincide but we plan to meet up with them for dinner one night and potentially in a Park if possible. Here's us on our 2019 trip (not sure where the @krause crew was during this photoshoot):
IMG_1345.JPG

From L to R: Mom, Dad, my sister Kaely, her kids G and B (who are much bigger now!), her husband K, and myself.

When: October 25-November 3, 2022. We are flying in the afternoon of the 25th from Winnipeg, Canada where we both live.

Where: Pop Century Resort. This is only my second stay on property after staying at Port Orleans Riverside in February 2018. I liked the idea of having Skyliner access so that we don’t have to load the wheelchair on a bus each time we want to hit a park. I have not yet been on the Skyliner so having a wheelchair on there actually scares me a little bit but I’m pushing through the fear!

Up Next: The "Why"

AKemily

Original Poster
Your post made me sad that some people could be so thoughtless, clueless, rude, mean (so many adjectives went through my head) to Jenny.
Dad's trying but that kid is going to be in the future monsters of America club. Was going to use a stronger word but figured it would get deleted by the mods.
I hope Jenny was not impacted too much by it and that it did not spoil the rest of her night
I'm glad you said something to the father instead of just ignoring it. If you didn't say anything, the kid would probably feel like he could get away with stuff like that. Hopefully, he learned something that day.
I can't imagine ever thinking it was okay to spit on anyone when I was a child. My punishment would've been much worse than an apology. I'm sorry she had to experience that.
Thank you all for your kind words 🥰 Perhaps naively, my hope is that the kid just had an intrusive thought that he decided to act upon and that it wasn't bigotry at such a young age, but that's obviously what comes to mind first. I do hope that the father did do something about it and that the child learned something that day. Either way, I'm glad I didn't let it slide.

Poor Jenny. Tell her I'm sorry and I love her. 😁
I know, right? 😢 Haha thank you, I will!

You were much nicer than I would have been 😂

I'm glad the spitter's dad handled the situation instead of making excuses for his kid. I can't believe the bus driver let the other person come onto the bus with an opened stroller. Normally they'll stop you and tell you to fold it before you get on.

Ha I think he could tell I was pi**ed but you're right, I definitely could have been meaner! 😅

And what the H**l?! Is she invisible?!
A large part of the human race just stinks.
(Again was going to use another word but restrained myself.) I'm not a polite Canadian, just someone who doesn't want to get kicked off the boards.
You are an amazing friend to this woman who deserves better from humans.
It was just another discouraging moment after a discouraging evening. It really was unbelievable how often people just didn't seem to see her and it definitely did upset her at times. It is sad to say that this is her everyday experience. Obviously since we spent so much time together on the trip I saw examples of it way more often at Disney than I do at home but it is actually quite typical. I am glad to be able to share our experience and hopefully others can learn from it as well. :inlove:

They also are more challenging to photograph.
Good point! Although for you, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! 😄

Just reading your trip report (sorry for the overload of likes!) and I’m really appreciating all the insight into accessible Disney. My cousin and his wife are headed down in a few weeks and she’s in a wheelchair. I’ve been their Disney helper, but there are so many things I haven’t noticed as an able-bodied person that I haven’t been as able to answer her questions all the time without doing a bit more research. I had no idea there was a wheelchair area for MK fireworks! Do they have that at Epcot too? Thank you for all the awesome info!
Thank you so much for following along! As @pkkurz mentioned, there are a couple accessible viewing areas in Epcot. The one we went to near the Rose & Crown was quite small (could maybe fit 20 chairs) so I would suggest showing up early, especially if the Park is busy. It wasn't too busy the night we were there so the area didn't actually fill up. If you or your friend have any other questions feel free to ask!

AKemily

Original Poster
October 30, 2022
Day 6: Hollywood Studios

We arrived to a foggy Hollywood Studios this morning at 7:30am.
IMG_2064.JPG

Our goal was to do Mickey & Minnie’s right away but unfortunately it was down. They hoped it would be open when the park opened to all guests at 8. We decided to redirect to ToT (notice the Christmas decor).
IMG_2067.JPG

Jenny had spent a lot of time thinking about this ride and had psyched herself up to do it.
IMG_2068.JPG

All smiles in the boiler room! (FYI, you have to transfer to the ride vehicle for ToT. We asked the cast member at the elevator to put us at the end/inside of the first row so we didn’t have to do stairs or slide down the row and they accommodated us fine.)
IMG_2069.JPG

Not so much on the ride…
2022-10-30 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.jpeg

Hahaha I think despite her face she somewhat enjoyed this ride. That being said, she was not interested in doing it again.

We headed in the direction of RnRC. Jenny came through the line with me and they directed us to the ride exit so that she could board more easily there (she would still have to climb in like everyone else but it's just roomier at the exit) but she ended up taking the chicken exit. 😅 Probably for the best, she would have absolutely hated it.:hilarious: That ride jerks you around way too much in my opinion.

We headed over to Toy Story Land after this and did Alien Swirling Saucers (the side of the ride vehicle opens and a piece folds down so that you can transfer from your chair to the vehicle more easily - see pic below).
IMG_2070.JPG

We had a lot of fun on this one!
IMG_2074.JPG

We then did Toy Story Mania. They have a ride-on accessible vehicle with a separate loading area. They really struggled belting her chair down on this ride and we both ended up thinking that it would have been easier had she transferred. When the car goes from the accessible loading area to the regular loading area, it kind of flies around the corner (like it does elsewhere on the ride) and the cast members noticed that her chair moved quite a bit (Jenny didn't think it moved more than it regularly did). They ended up stopping us again at the regular loading area to recheck the belts. Of course because they had us stopped here the whole ride came to a halt probably for about 5 minutes. Jenny didn’t like knowing that because of her a whole ride of people had to be stopped, never mind the line of people waiting to board and looking at us. She was frustrated that her disabilities put a pause to everyone else’s day.:confused:

That aside we had a fun ride.
IMG_2075.JPG

Jenny didn't understand why, but we stopped for a pic at the popsicle stick wall.
IMG_2077.JPG

Up next: More Hollywood Studios

LeighM

Thank you all for your kind words 🥰 Perhaps naively, my hope is that the kid just had an intrusive thought that he decided to act upon and that it wasn't bigotry at such a young age, but that's obviously what comes to mind first. I do hope that the father did do something about it and that the child learned something that day. Either way, I'm glad I didn't let it slide.

I know, right? 😢 Haha thank you, I will!

Ha I think he could tell I was pi**ed but you're right, I definitely could have been meaner! 😅

It was just another discouraging moment after a discouraging evening. It really was unbelievable how often people just didn't seem to see her and it definitely did upset her at times. It is sad to say that this is her everyday experience. Obviously since we spent so much time together on the trip I saw examples of it way more often at Disney than I do at home but it is actually quite typical. I am glad to be able to share our experience and hopefully others can learn from it as well. :inlove:

Good point! Although for you, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! 😄

Thank you so much for following along! As @pkkurz mentioned, there are a couple accessible viewing areas in Epcot. The one we went to near the Rose & Crown was quite small (could maybe fit 20 chairs) so I would suggest showing up early, especially if the Park is busy. It wasn't too busy the night we were there so the area didn't actually fill up. If you or your friend have any other questions feel free to ask

I'm almost positive that boy picked someone he knew couldn't fight back and probably has a history of being a sneaky bully. I've known plenty like that both when I was a child and as an adult. He just didn't reckon on you LOL. I'm really glad you said something to the father.

AKemily

Original Poster
Day 6 continued

We grabbed a coffee nearby and sat for a while before heading over to Slinky Dog Dash (side of vehicle opens and folds down for easier transfer). As I’m sure you can guess by now, Jenny was VERY nervous. We had a DAS for this ride so I told her if she didn’t go I couldn’t ride haha as the line would be too long all day. 😅

VERY reluctantly, I coaxed her on to the ride. She refused to smile for my picture so I said then let’s just make grumpy faces:hilarious: She gave me “I’m about to throw up” so I guess that counts haha.
IMG_2079.JPG

I talked her through the ride as we went. “That’s the worst of the drops. See, it’s just like the car ride (Test Track)”. I think I was probably talking to her in the photo lol.
2022-10-30 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - Slinky Dog Dash_2.jpeg

She ended up really enjoying it and said me talking her through it helped haha. Smiling faces at the end!
IMG_2080.JPG

*Lots of text and some more discouragements ahead, sorry. Don't worry, there are happier moments and days to come.*

We headed to MMRR next. They have a separate loading area here but the vehicle was the same as all the rest. I heard from someone later in the week that they used to have an accessible vehicle, so I don’t know if it is broken permanently or was just for our trip but we definitely just had a standard vehicle. My research had told me it was a standard vehicle so I suspect it's been broken for some time. Unfortunately the area to enter the vehicle is very tight and it was difficult for Jenny to transfer.

We enjoyed the ride but when it came time to get off Jenny was having trouble. There was a couple behind us and the man offered to lift Jenny off. He was a larger man whose first language was not English. Because of the angle and it just being him, Jenny and I were both concerned he would injure himself. He did manage to help her and he insisted he was fine but I think Jenny was uncomfortable with it because 1) she was worried he would hurt himself on account of her disabilities and 2) it was difficult to communicate with him. We’re gonna call this mishap #6.

To be honest, this was a bit of a breaking point. Jenny was understandably upset and I think the busyness of the week had got to her and she was physically and mentally overstimulated. Essentially, she was upset about how her disabilities affect her life and that she is unable to do things “normally”.😢 We pulled aside to a quiet spot near the ABC Commissary and she had a good cry while I comforted her. I was proud of how well she had done up to this point (and how well she continued to do going forward in our trip).

After decompressing for a while, we decided the best thing to do was for Jenny to have some time in a quiet spot. She didn’t wish to leave the Park since we only had one day there. I took her to First Aid where they gave her a quiet room to rest in. They gave her a cool towel and some Gatorade. In the meantime, I wandered around outside and did some browsing in the shops.

When I rejoined Jenny about 45 minutes later we headed to grab our mobile order from PizzeRizzo. First Aid had given her some ear plugs to further block out the noise so she put them in before we made our way through the crowds. By the way, First Aid didn’t charge us for anything. They’re really great over there and I’ve found that in the past as well when we’ve gone by there for bandaids or pain killers or anything.

Jenny felt the pizza hit the spot but she was still clearly fading. She really wanted to see the shows in the Park so our remaining goals for the day were essentially Beauty and the Beast and Frozen Sing-Along. Since we were right there though, we did Muppet Vision 3D.
IMG_2083.JPG

What did Jenny think? We'll never know because she slept through the whole thing :hilarious:

Beauty and the Beast was still important to her though so we headed there next. On the way, she was literally falling asleep while driving:in pain: “Jenny, you have to stay awake.” “I am awake!” “Your eyes were closed.” “Oh yeah”. :hilarious: (I truly was not forcing her to stay in the Park and kept checking in with her but she was determined to be there).
IMG_2088.JPG

We enjoyed the show and Jenny managed to stay semi-awake for it although she wished later that she could have been more awake for it.

We rushed over to Frozen after this and made it one minute before show time but they said the theatre was full 😢 We decided to grab some Mickey ice cream sandwiches and call it a day.

I had been in touch with @KMD at this point and they were headed to Hollywood Studios for the afternoon. I made the plan to take Jenny back to the hotel and then head back to the Park. In case you’re thinking I abandoned my friend in her time of need, Jenny was much happier knowing I would be getting my park time in than thinking I was bored in the hotel room with her wishing I was in the Park instead. It was better for us both this way.

Jenny tried to convince me to let her find her way back to the hotel herself but I refused. “Jenny, you literally can’t keep your eyes open! There’s no way.” At the end of the day she admitted she was glad I brought her back haha. It was a very quick and easy Skyliner trip to the hotel and back and also quite peaceful! :inlove:

Just as I was getting back to the Park gates, I spotted my family! What good timing 😄

I will let @KMD do the reporting on this evening because I was just tagging along on their good times but we had a great evening and we got some good rides in. (MMRR photo since I didn't actually get one with Jenny)
IMG_2099.JPG

I never ended up setting foot in Galaxy’s Edge this trip. Rise was down most of the day and when it reopened in the evening it was literally a seven hour wait (craziness!).

And because I forgot my RnRC pic in the last post, here it is:
2022-10-30 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - Rock n Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith.jpeg

On to happier days…

Up next: Epcot Day 7

AKemily

Original Poster
I'm almost positive that boy picked someone he knew couldn't fight back and probably has a history of being a sneaky bully. I've known plenty like that both when I was a child and as an adult. He just didn't reckon on you LOL. I'm really glad you said something to the father.
I'm sure you're probably right. The way Jenny described him smirking at her before spitting definitely seems vengeful and not just a whim😢 Kids can be cruel. He definitely thought he would get away with it and looked terrified when he realized I was going to say something. Hopefully he thinks twice next time.

AKemily

Original Poster
October 31, 2022
Day 7: Epcot

*Lots of text ahead again, sorry!*

After the better part of an afternoon and an evening of rest, Jenny decided to get up and come with me to Epcot this morning.

Only the world had different plans.

As we were going down to the Skyliner, we pushed the elevator button and… nothing happened. No light, no elevator, no nothing. A cast member (I think he was in security) came down the stairs and told us the elevator was down. A repair person was coming but in the meantime they had no idea when it would come back up again. They also had fire trucks coming in case of an emergency. We were stuck. The guy was obviously sorry but couldn’t do anything to help us. He took our room number and said the front desk would call when the elevator came back up. Mishap #7.

Jenny and I discussed what to do. I knew that she wouldn’t be happy knowing I couldn’t go to the Park on account of her. I also think Jenny wanted to go to the Park this morning more for me than for her. I could tell that she was still worn out from the day before. We decided that I would go to the Park, where my family would be again. Jenny and I had plans to do Food & Wine that evening, so she could rest during the morning and we would make the most of that night. If the elevators came back up, she could also find me in Epcot if she decided she wanted to do that.

Had I known that the building only had one elevator, I would have specifically requested a ground floor room. It is honestly quite unbelievable. And spoiler alert but the elevator ended up going back up around 9am and the front desk never called. Even if the security guy forgot to pass the information along, I feel the front desk should have checked in on all the wheelchair accessible rooms on all the floors above ground level. This seems like common courtesy in this kind of situation. We did go to the front desk later in the day to see if anything could be done to compensate for a Park morning missed. They gave us a Lightning Lane for the next day that we never used. :(

Somewhat regretfully, I made my way over to the Park. I had made it in time for Early Entry but would be meeting my family when the Park opened for offsite guests. I didn’t have any rides I wanted to hit alone so I took the long way around the very empty World Showcase.
IMG_2112.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

This was so peaceful and a great way to take in the pavilions!

While I was taking pictures here:
IMG_2128.JPG

My family was sending me pictures from here:
thumbnail_IMG_0538.jpg

More WS pics:
IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

Coming up: A few more WS pics and meeting up with my fam!

AKemily

Original Poster
Day 7 continued

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

The original plan was to rope drop Frozen with my family, but we realized that it was down. Indeed, as I reached Norway there was a wall of cast members ready to stop guests (not pictured haha). We decided to hit Soarin’ first instead. All of a sudden I was in a hurry.

I reached Soarin’ shortly before regular rope drop and watched the crowds roll in. I spotted my family. Bennett asked “How did you find us?” I said “I just looked for grandpa’s beard and spotted you right away.”
Capture.JPG

(You gotta admit it stands out :hilarious: )

After Soarin’, my Guardians BG was called. I had secured group 11 that morning!!! Another reason Jenny wouldn’t have felt right about me staying behind (she didn’t want to go again but knew I wanted to).
2022-10-31 - Epcot - Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind_2.jpeg

Another amazing ride!!! I got Disco Inferno. My family’s BG had opened by this time so I waited for them. I texted @KMD that I wanted to use Grace’s BG :joyfull:

I’ll let @KMD report on this morning again but I will mention that my parents and Karl used their BG first while @KMD and I waited with the kids. They had to wait about 50 minutes before getting on the ride and the kids were antsy. @KMD and I used child swap and could go through the Lightning Lane.
2022-10-31 - Epcot - Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind.jpeg

Got “I Run” this time - three rides, three different songs!😄
chris pratt dancing GIF

We did Living with the Land and got lunch at Sunshine Seasons before parting ways and heading back out of the Park.

Jenny did nap the better part of the morning so that was good but, as I said before, the front desk had never called. She had considered going down to the pool at one point but, because she thought the elevator was down, that obviously didn’t happen. After our disappointing visit to the front desk, we hit the pool together. Jenny used the pool lift and was absolutely giddy about it!
IMG_2170.JPG

Before heading back to the Park for the evening we hit up some trick or treat stations at the hotel (it was Halloween after all!). They provided us with a bag that looks like it was leftover from the Halloween parties and we stopped at a few stations. The candy is pretty cheap stuff (definitely not what you get at the parties) and I still have a million suckers/lollipops left but it was fun!

We dumped our candy in our room and headed back to the Skyliner. I definitely did not take pictures of everything we ate at F&W but there was a lot of cheese 😂

We found a spot to sit in the accessible viewing area near Rose & Crown so we could be as close to the Skyliner exit as possible. We got there pretty early so I took a couple trips to go get us various drinks while we sat and waited for HarmoniUS to begin.
IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

I get how the barges are super ugly in the daytime but wow wow wow this show was so good! It was just a party from beginning to end! I loved it. I can see how the barges should go but I hope whatever they replace it with is just as fun and the barges can go away during the day.

Up next: Animal Kingdom including a few new experience!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Had I known that the building only had one elevator, I would have specifically requested a ground floor room. It is honestly quite unbelievable.
Oh hell no!
This is unbelievable! Disney really stranded Jenny (and any other wheelchair/scooter bound person) and all they gave you was a stinkin’ LL?!?!
Oh man, can I write the email for you? You can not let this go! They should, at minimum, reimburse Jenny for that days ticket. Minimum!

MickeyCB

Oh hell no!
This is unbelievable! Disney really stranded Jenny (and any other wheelchair/scooter bound person) and all they gave you was a stinkin’ LL?!?!
Oh man, can I write the email for you? You can not let this go! They should, at minimum, reimburse Jenny for that days ticket. Minimum!
Absolutely! And I was thinking how dangerous this had the potential to be. Never mind a fire, med emergency, or just how about plain old needing food?!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Absolutely! And I was thinking how dangerous this had the potential to be. Never mind a fire, med emergency, or just how about plain old needing food?!
Right?!?
I am still fuming. I mean the boy spitting was bad but he is just a kid, brain not formed fully, social skills lacking (pandemic isolation did not help there) or he may be a sociopath in the making (neighbors watch your cats) but Disney should just know better. Also, I am pretty sure there is an employee/service elevator somewhere that should have been offered.
Just the worst…

meggo819

Also, I am pretty sure there is an employee/service elevator somewhere that should have been offered.
At Pop Century? I’m not so sure, I feel like I’ve seen the cleaning people use the same central elevator with their carts.

But you’re absolutely right to be fuming. I can’t believe they weren’t put on the ground floor if there’s only one elevator per building!!

AKemily

Original Poster
Oh hell no!
At Pop Century? I’m not so sure, I feel like I’ve seen the cleaning people use the same central elevator with their carts.

But you’re absolutely right to be fuming. I can’t believe they weren’t put on the ground floor if there’s only one elevator per building!!
Thank you for being mad on our behalf and validating our feelings :joyfull: I also believe that there is no service elevator for staff at Pop - also pretty silly to be fair! As you might be able to tell, Jenny and I are pretty non-confrontational people haha. Jenny admitted that she wouldn't have even thought to "complain" about either the spitter or the elevator :facepalm:. With that being said, @Darstarr, if you want to write an email, I'd accept an email - lord knows I couldn't write one strong enough to get reimbursement :hilarious:

AKemily

Original Poster
November 1, 2022
Day 8: Animal Kingdom

Sorry for the delay everyone, life has all of sudden become busy but definitely hoping to get this thing done ASAP!

On this morning, we decided to *gasp!* sleep in. And by sleep in, I mean getting up at 7:30 instead of 5:30 :in pain: We had a plan in the Park for 11:10 that I wanted to get to with plenty of time, so we still got up at an early hour and then meandered our way over.

As we entered the Park we wandered the Discovery Trails. We saw the momma and baby Babirusa. I really enjoyed the Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom show on Disney+ and it of course featured the story of momma Babirusa. I’m looking forward to the next season coming out in January!
IMG_2200.JPG

We took a seat in the “cave” to eat our packed breakfast and it was at this point that I noticed that one of Jenny’s sandals that was stored under her chair had fallen out. I knew we had it getting off the bus so I went to look for it. On my way I saw DiVine.
IMG_2202.JPG

And I found the sandal on a bench near the front entrance - mishap avoided!

I had got a DAS for meeting Mickey & Minnie so we headed to the Adventurer Outpost. A weird thing is that they made us put Jenny's chair in neutral so I had to push her. I still really don't know why her chair couldn't be on.

Jenny really looks like she's going in for a good smooch :hilarious:
IMG_2204.JPG

They had a good laugh about it I guess...
IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

:hilarious: I don't know what was so funny.

One more good one -
IMG_2212.JPG

We had some time to kill so we sat behind the Tree of Life and waited for some character flotillas to go by - none ever did, despite them being scheduled in the app.
IMG_2228.JPG

Then we went to some photo walls.
IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

Finally, it was time for our appointment!

Up next: More Animal Kingdom

AKemily

Original Poster
What was our appointment?

IMG_2238.JPG

We went and met Dugan the rhino (also featured in the Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom show)! The Up Close with Rhinos tour was absolutely fantastic. I had done the Caring for Elephants tour before so knew generally what we were getting into but we just had such a great time! For those who don’t know, you go “behind the scenes” near Kilimanjaro Safaris where you board a (accessible!) bus to the animal barns behind the Safari (for the Elephant tour you don’t go to the barns, you just go to a viewing platform that’s closer to the elephants than you get on the Safari). We got to go to the rhino barn, learn how they care for the rhinos, meet Dugan the rhino and actually pet him! Getting so close to him and petting him was so amazing. I honestly would do this tour again and would absolutely say it was worth every penny. The tour is one hour long and is $40 USD per person (about $60 CAD) and the full amount goes to the Disney Conservation Fund. SO awesome!

Also, a note on the accessibility, on our previous day at Animal Kingdom when Jenny got her face paint I had stopped at the tour stand and confirmed that we would have a wheelchair with us. Even though you can indicate this when you register for the tour, it still says to call and confirm. I had called, left a message with the Guest Experience team, and never heard back :rolleyes:. The team at the tour stand was VERY helpful and confirmed that we could bring her electric wheelchair (I thought we would probably have to switch to a manual chair). The bus had a lift so that was great.

Happy faces! This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Jenny did not want to leave Dugan.
IMG_2239.JPG

We had a Safari DAS so did that right away. One of Dugan's babies (and baby mamas haha)!
IMG_2251.JPG

Then we did the bird show. I'm glad they dropped the UP! thing haha, this show flowed much more naturally without them.
IMG_2257.JPG

We got a late lunch from Yak & Yeti (quick service) before running over to Nemo. We did the Maharajah trail and then headed out of the park for the day. I noticed some Christmas decorations were already up.
IMG_2263.JPG

We spent the rest of the afternoon resting, and I went to the pool again. In the evening I went to Disney Springs. I figured I'd get all our shopping done all at once so we didn't have to bother with it on our last day. While this was a good idea, my Disney Springs experience was anything but fun. It was completely packed with people. I have a tradition of always bringing home a Christmas ornament from my travels (Disney or not) so I stopped at the Christmas store first. I find that Disney is making more and more character- and ride-based ornaments that have NO signs of Christmas on them. I like my ornaments to represent my trip in some way but I also like them to be somewhat Christmas-y. The other thing is that they have become worse in quality and higher in price. There were basic baubles for $30USD a piece! Ain't no way. I chose a Mickey and Minnie one that I wasn't particularly happy with and exchanged it for a Skyliner one at the Pop gift shop the next morning. It promptly smashed in my backpack on the way home. This is my third Disney ornament in a row that didn't make it home in one piece :mad: I have taken home Disney ornaments for years so this is why I say the quality has gone down. My tradition, sadly, is likely one I'll have to leave behind 😭

I finished the rest of mine and Jenny's shopping and headed back to the resort. I made a mad dash for the bus stop and just squeezed on before the doors shut 😅 I don't think the bus driver was to impressed with me but I was glad to be headed back.

Up next: Our Last Day at Magic Kingdom

riverside

You’ll never believe this. I tried to book that tour for that exact date/time but I guess it was full bc nothing was available!!
In hindsight I guess it was for the best bc J got really sick that day. We didn’t even make it to AK.

I tried for our January trip & can’t find any availability either. Does it fill up that quick?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Up Close with Rhinos is a great tour, we got to meet and pet Dugan too. When I pet him he leaned in towards me so of course in my head that means he just wanted to snuggle with me! Haha!

@riverside the tour books up super quick. They told us that they only run one tour a day to protect the rhinos but maybe they will change it and run more we took the tour this past March. I'm pretty sure the tour booking opens up the same as restaurant ADR's so I would suggest making that a priority on the 60 day mark.

RememberWhen

You’ll never believe this. I tried to book that tour for that exact date/time but I guess it was full bc nothing was available!!
In hindsight I guess it was for the best bc J got really sick that day. We didn’t even make it to AK.

I tried for our January trip & can’t find any availability either. Does it fill up that quick?
When in January are you going to be there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom