News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

Purduevian

In order to soak up those people your queue needs to be large enough to hold them. Adding 345 people to a queue would require a minimum of 1,725 SF (5 SF per person).
Yes, but those extra 345 people don't just magically appear in the park, lines are some of the most dense areas of the park of people per square foot. That's 345 people not in a walk way, QS, or store.

The real way to soak up people should be expanding... but MK doesn't seem like it has plans after Tron.

Chi84

Premium Member
That undermines the purpose of the system to be able to shape demand and be monetized.

I’m saying FastPass, FastPass+ and Genie+ are not line skipping systems. They are virtual queues and how they operate is different. This refusal to acknowledge just that basic fact is why so many keep spinning around trying to figure out why things are the way that they are and why they can’t go back to what they were.
I know this is an important point to you, but referring to those systems as virtual queues in the context of this discussion is going to do nothing but cause confusion for most of the people here. Disney has already named one of their systems “virtual queues” and thereby co-opted its use. If you provide another two-word option I’ll try to adopt it.

I know why things are the way they are and why they can’t go back to the way they were. I’ve watched the video, I swear. But the parks are still operating, there are people using standby lines and others using Lightning Lanes. Disney is charging for a system and will likely continue to do so.

Some are proposing capping the sales of Genie+ and ILLs. My question is how they are proposing to cap sales as opposed to just raising the price. If you weren’t one of the ones proposing it, that’s fine.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can't disagree because I don't actually know the impact resort guests have on attendance and sales of genie +.
Limiting sales would dissuade people from taking WDW vacations regardless of whether they intend to stay in a resort. I don’t care if we’re staying in a cheap hotel in Kissimmee - I’m not making the trip unless I’m guaranteed the opportunity to buy Genie+ and have reasonable access to ILLs.

dreday3

Limiting sales would dissuade people from taking WDW vacations regardless of whether they intend to stay in a resort. I don’t care if we’re staying in a cheap hotel in Kissimmee - I’m not making the trip unless I’m guaranteed the opportunity to buy Genie+ and have reasonable access to ILLs.

I thought they already had a cap system in place for Genie +, just hasn't been hit yet.

Or it's in rumor stage still?

Lots of posts on this board with many words. My small brain misses things now and again. 😉

nickys

Premium Member
I don’t think you’re guaranteed to be able to buy it now. That was never promised.

What we know is that it sold much better than they expected, so clearly either they haven’t yet decided to impose a limit or they never reached the limit. But theoretically there was always the option to limit sales.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t think you’re guaranteed to be able to buy it now. That was never promised.

What we know is that it sold much better than they expected, so clearly either they haven’t yet decided to impose a limit or they never reached the limit. But theoretically there was always the option to limit sales.
Yes, that's always been an option. But as long as they are not imposing a limit or they're never reaching the limit, theoretical unavailability is not a problem for me.

The standby lines are still prohibitive, so my guess is that they will eventually do something different. The two most common suggestions have been raising the price until people decide not to buy and keeping a reasonable price but capping sales. The former is self-explanatory; my question was how the ones proposing the latter think sales would be limited or capped.

lazyboy97o

I can't disagree because I don't actually know the impact resort guests have on attendance and sales of genie +.
The scale is not really the issue. Being a day-of system is what makes it valuable to Disney.

Yes, but those extra 345 people don't just magically appear in the park, lines are some of the most dense areas of the park of people per square foot. That's 345 people not in a walk way, QS, or store.

The real way to soak up people should be expanding... but MK doesn't seem like it has plans after Tron.
I’m aware of how dense it is but it’s still space that needs to be provided, which becomes more difficult in existing conditions.

I know this is an important point to you, but referring to those systems as virtual queues in the context of this discussion is going to do nothing but cause confusion for most of the people here. Disney has already named one of their systems “virtual queues” and thereby co-opted its use. If you provide another two-word option I’ll try to adopt it.
So using a wholly inaccurate term that describes something else is not confusing? It sure seems to be co fusing because people keep talking about these systems in ways that suggests confusion. The term was not co-opted. What Disney calls virtual queues are virtual queues.

Chi84

Premium Member
So using a wholly inaccurate term that describes something else is not confusing? It sure seems to be co fusing because people keep talking about these systems in ways that suggests confusion. The term was not co-opted. What Disney calls virtual queues are virtual queues.
I have a feeling you know what I mean. If I ask how to access Disney's virtual queue systems, I'll get 99 posts on how to get on Guardians of the Galaxy and 1 from you explaining, in depth, the difference between line skip systems and virtual queues.

SingleRider

Premium Member
Back in the day, the word was the Park Pass Res system was built on the FP+ system. And the 2 could not coexist. If PPR are going away, they can utilize the tech again, right? They can still brand it as Genie, but maybe resort guests get 2 complimentary “Genie passes” deluxe get 3 per day?
They already moved the Park Pass system off the old FP system earlier this year, moving it to the new system APs had been using for a while.

TQQQ

People keep saying that, but how would they cap sales? I'm not making a resort reservation, buying tickets, scheduling flights and going through all the time, effort and expense associated with a WDW vacation unless I know for certain that I can skip the lines.
Same. So resort guests would have to get first dibs

Chi84

Premium Member
The lines were physically longer with more people in them, yes. But they moved at lightning speed and were some of the shortest standby lines in decades
When was that? We were there in May and October 2021 and didn’t see any lightning speed lines. And most of the more popular rides had pretty significant waits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom