News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
It’s crazy that the Dallas metro area has grown from 3 million people to 6.5 million in 30 years.

Current predictions have Texas passing California as the most populous state around 2045, if I were Disney I’d try to capitalize on that growth, they may have already missed their chance though, the cheap land they could have bought back in 1989 is likely millions an acre now.
Millions per acre is high, unless they wanted to build within a city like the plans @lazyboy97o shared above (thanks for sharing - that was cool!).

They could do what they did in Florida and attempt to stealth purchase cheaper land in the boonies - there is a cottage industry here of companies acquiring drilling leases surreptitiously. The problem building in a rural area is the need for infrastructure. But building near Houston would have the advantage of two major airports plus access to Galveston for DCL sailings.

Interesting to ponder, though it does seem extraordinarily unlikely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s crazy that the Dallas metro area has grown from 3 million people to 6.5 million in 30 years.

Current predictions have Texas passing California as the most populous state around 2045, if I were Disney I’d try to capitalize on that growth, they may have already missed their chance though, the cheap land they could have bought back in 1989 is likely millions an acre now.
Disney is not building new parks laden with operational overhead. Certainly not in the US

That ship has sailed. Besides…they want people to travel further to get there. It keeps them in the bubble longer and they spend more. Why make it “more convenient?”

Disstevefan1

I remember when they tore down Horizons to build mission space. I hated to see Horizons go and although what I really wanted was Horizons AND mission space, I rationalized back then it would cost too much for both to exist.

Today, seeing the millions and millions of dollars wasted on D+ content that TWDC thinks may possibly gain subscribers, content that existing subs may not watch or watch once and forget about it, this massive amount of money would have been better spent in the parks to ADD attractions.

If TWDC is going to throw away money, it might as well be to ADD attractions at the parks.

They spend millions on D+ content they is ether never watched or watched once. Meanwhile folks happily pay money to ride the same attractions over and over.

Where do you think the money is better spent?

Purduevian

I've kind of wondered if Disney could up the capacity of some rides without a ton of work.
Jungle cruise: redesign the boats to have rows like living with the land. Would speed up the load/unload process significantly
Pirates: Seems like the limiting factor in boat throughput in the drop. Not sure if that is being fully used or not. If not add a 3rd loading station. Similar with Small world, but not limited by the drop
HM/Buzz/Peoplemover/Pan/LM: Could they turn up the speed like 5% so the ride is a little shorter but loads and unloads 5% faster?

TQQQ

I would like to see Disney let resorts guests book their first genie+ and Ill selection a week or so before they arrive and let them choose their return time . This will eliminate the need to have to get up before 7am every day on vacation. This will also allow them some flexibility on when they go to the parks (for the non early people) By only letting them pick one, it will still leave inventory for non resort guests. After their first selection they fall under the regular rules (120 mins after park opening for their next selection)

I think this will be a MAJOR upgrade at no cost to them

Jrb1979

I would like to see Disney let resorts guests book their first genie+ and Ill selection a week or so before they arrive and let them choose their return time . This will eliminate the need to have to get up before 7am every day on vacation. This will also allow them some flexibility on when they go to the parks (for the non early people) By only letting them pick one, it will still leave inventory for non resort guests. After their first selection they fall under the regular rules (120 mins after park opening for their next selection)

I think this will be a MAJOR upgrade at no cost to them
That also requires them going back to letting guests buy Genie+ ahead of time. That goes against the way they price it daily.

TQQQ

Personally I think they should scrap it and go the Universal route but not give it to resort guests.
I’d be all for that. As long as they limit sales. I hate having to get up early, not picking return times, being on phone all day and cross crossing the park all the time.

But let’s face it, we are stuck with Genie+

Purduevian

Personally I think they should scrap it and go the Universal route but not give it to resort guests.
Would have to price it basically the same as the VIP tour.

$300-$600 per person for unlimited access to rides depending on season. Maybe knock it down to $250-$500 per person since you won't have a guide

Rich Brownn

I've kind of wondered if Disney could up the capacity of some rides without a ton of work.
Jungle cruise: redesign the boats to have rows like living with the land. Would speed up the load/unload process significantly
Pirates: Seems like the limiting factor in boat throughput in the drop. Not sure if that is being fully used or not. If not add a 3rd loading station. Similar with Small world, but not limited by the drop
HM/Buzz/Peoplemover/Pan/LM: Could they turn up the speed like 5% so the ride is a little shorter but loads and unloads 5% faster?
Unless somethings changed, the capacity of Pirates and Small World are pretty much insane. One hour we pushed 3,200 people through Pirates (which, weirdly, was over theoretical capacity of 3,000 per hour). Small World is also 3,000. (Since the added rows to the boats, theoretical is probably more). Small World was a NYWF exhibit, hence the high capacity (although under attended the WF drew 57 million people in two 6-month periods).

UNCgolf

I don't think that would be very helpful.

Attraction length is important too. Getting a few more people on but also shortening an attraction by a minute would probably be an overall wash for capacity.

solidyne

Attraction length is important too. Getting a few more people on but also shortening an attraction by a minute would probably be an overall wash for capacity.
Exactly. Everyone seems to focus on throughput (T) and not duration (D), when they both matter.

T x D = people-eating power
(total "people-minutes" per hour)

Given this formula, some slow-load rides are better at keeping people off of the sidewalks than the fast-load ones.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. Everyone seems to focus on throughput (T) and not duration (D), when they both matter.

Given this formula, some slow-load rides are better at keeping people off of the sidewalks than the fast-load ones.
Hourly capacity is the main metric by which a park is designed and reducing cycle tying would in theory increase capacity. That’s a theory because operationally it has to be executed and Pirates of the Caribbean and “it’s a small world” already back up, meaning they’d just back up more.

Instantaneous capacity, how many people an attraction can hold at a single movement, would not necessarily change if operations could keep up with the reduced cycle time.

Purduevian

The line also eats an insane amount of people on an attraction.
Theoretically if small world has a 30 boats that each hold 20 people, 600 people are soaked up by the attraction. This is regardless if they stick with 2 loading docks or add a 3rd one.
If Small world can push 3000 people an hour and has an hour long line with 70% capacity going to LL. 900 people are soaked up in line.

If we up capacity 5% hourly capacity is 3,150. Now there are 945 people "soaked up" in line. Up the hourly capacity on multiple attractions and you can get a few thousand people in lines without increasing wait time.
That’s insane. Unaffordable
It has to be... G+ is the affordable option. It would have to be priced high enough that most people don't have it. IMHO the $150-$250 express pass price at USO would be far too cheap at WDW and would sell out every day and the lines would be swamped.

MrHappy

Back in the day, the word was the Park Pass Res system was built on the FP+ system. And the 2 could not coexist. If PPR are going away, they can utilize the tech again, right? They can still brand it as Genie, but maybe resort guests get 2 complimentary “Genie passes” deluxe get 3 per day?

lazyboy97o

If we up capacity 5% hourly capacity is 3,150. Now there are 945 people "soaked up" in line. Up the hourly capacity on multiple attractions and you can get a few thousand people in lines without increasing wait time.
In order to soak up those people your queue needs to be large enough to hold them. Adding 345 people to a queue would require a minimum of 1,725 SF (5 SF per person).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom