News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

GiveMeTheMusic

The problem with a third US Resort is that it will not have that classic Disneyland / Magic Kingdom experience because Disney refuses to build those type of experiences. It’d be an ugly castle surrounded by poorly laid out franchise lands with not enough to do.

Well that's a very negative outlook for the promising Worlds of Disney+ Resort that is definitely being built in Katy, Texas next year.

Vegas Disney Fan

I understand they were still increasing capacity in 2021. I’m curious to see 2022. But I have to wonder, if they measure wait times to determine their rating, why are so many saying it’s more crowded than ever? Is it just human perception? Or is the fact people have to pay for Genie+ affecting perceptions?

I think it’s mostly a result of Genie +, the G+ lines are often longer than the old FP lines were so the “skip the line” lines are now longer, that also results in the standby lines being longer so fewer people get in them, and since FP lines weren’t designed to be the rides primary queue the G+ lines often spill out into the walkways creating congestion. Disney also seems to inflate standby wait times (to sell more G+) so it creates a perception of it being more busy.

It also feels like mobile order has resulted in a lot of people just standing around the restaurants waiting for their text, which creates more congestion.

In short, there’s less people in the standby queues that were designed to hold a lot of people and those people are now in the walkways so it always feels congested and crowded.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Park Pass is designed to alter guest behavior, not predict it. Disney already has sufficient data to predict it.

Then it was a garbage system if it only impacted guests ability to pick a park so infrequently.

They also didn’t have to use it for all the parks if that was the sole purpose.

So while park of the puzzle- I don’t believe it was THE sole purpose

castlecake2.0

Random questions on strategies to spread out crowds across four parks and this is based on the fact everyone is on their phones and MDE all day:
  • Why doesn't Disney offer random free hopping to some people in a specific park (without hopper tickets) to go to another specific park via push notification?
    • Example: I'm in MK and MK is crowded, offer everyone linked to my MDE a free hopper to AK. (They are still able to come back to MK).
    • Sweaten the deal by offering free snacks or discounts to food or free LLs.
  • Offer, via Push Notifications, to those with existing hoppers incentives to go to specific parks.
    • Example: I'm in DHS with a hopper ticket and I get a push notification to get a free pretzel at Epcot, or a 10% discount at any QS location in AK thats available for that day only?
    • Example: I'm MK and my party is offered a free LL for Remy's to use anytime for that day only similar to the LL's you get if an attraction goes down.
Assuming the tech and ability to do this are developed - the cost of a free snack or a slightly cheaper QS meal or offering a Lightning Lane similar to a guest recovery offer would do wonders for not only crowds but guest satisfaction.
They’ve played around with this in the past, it’s a good thought. Here’s some things they’ve done before:

“Surprise FASTPASS”: When getting a FP for a major attraction the machine would spit out a FP for an attraction that rarely had long lines. Example Space Mountain would give you one for Carousel of Progress. It was basically to trick people into going to less popular attractions instead of standing around doing nothing.

$1 snack offers: they’ve tried this on busy holidays at MK. Stay in the park after the fireworks and all soft serve, popcorn, and sodas were $1. Would help ease demand on transportation.

Discount on Food and Merch: receipts would print with a coupon on the bottom saying if you are or shopped in off peak hours you’d get a percentage off.

Like you said, now with the app, this would be easy things to do to encourage guests to move around in a specific way. One I would start right away would be a push near 2pm highlighting theatre style shows to go visit when people need somewhere to sit for a while and recharge.

CaptainAmerica

“Surprise FASTPASS”: When getting a FP for a major attraction the machine would spit out a FP for an attraction that rarely had long lines. Example Space Mountain would give you one for Carousel of Progress. It was basically to trick people into going to less popular attractions instead of standing around doing nothing.
You mean my stack of PhilharMagic FastPasses has limited resale value?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Then it was a garbage system if it only impacted guests ability to pick a park so infrequently.

They also didn’t have to use it for all the parks if that was the sole purpose.

So while park of the puzzle- I don’t believe it was THE sole purpose
That doesn’t make any sense…you’re suggesting they not use it on all of them?

gerarar

Premium Member
Too bad! I live 10 minutes from Katy. I was dreaming of quitting my job to become a CM without selling my house or moving.🤣
I live like 15 mins from Katy and I already think it's crowded. And there's already a whole bunch of new developments in the area, so adding Disney to the mix would be yeesh!

The Asia town is very nice tho haha, saves the drive to Bellaire.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I live like 15 mins from Katy and I already think it's crowded. And there's already a whole bunch of new developments in the area, so adding Disney to the mix would be yeesh!

The Asia town is very nice tho haha, saves the drive to Bellaire.
Grew up in Sealy (for those of you not from the area, it's the small town where (a) Sealy Mattresses was founded and (b) where Eric Dickerson is from) - there have been rumors for 30 years that Disney was stealth-buying land between Sealy and Columbus for the 3rd domestic park. I'm old enough that when I was in high school, Katy had 3 high schools.....

fgmnt

The problem with a third US Resort is that it will not have that classic Disneyland / Magic Kingdom experience because Disney refuses to build those type of experiences. It’d be an ugly castle surrounded by poorly laid out franchise lands with not enough to do.
Building a park that more closely matches Shanghai than Anaheim would be a colossal failure domestically.

RSoxNo1

Disney said it did, both pre- and post-pandemic. I believe them. Which is why I don’t think the park reservation system is necessary.
I can see some of the surge pricing making a difference but a 5 day base ticket has the following possible price per day over the next 3 months:

• $99-100
  • $102-104
  • $106-108
  • $110-117
  • $119-122
That's beyond excessive, 20 different prices for a 5 day ticket. Sports stadiums will do date/opponent based tickets. The Red Sox as an example have 6 different price points. An example for Loge Box seats in 2022:

• Diamond Tier (6 games): $166
  • Tier 1 (6 games): $146
  • Tier 2 (15 games): $115
  • Tier 3 (27 games): $101
  • Tier 4 (15 games): $88
  • Tier 5 (12 games): $57
I know the two entertainment options aren't apples to apples, but it absolutely seems like 20 price points is too many and I would absolutely need to see proof that they see a measurable incentive to charge $99 vs $102 per day for that 5 day ticket.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s crazy that the Dallas metro area has grown from 3 million people to 6.5 million in 30 years.

Current predictions have Texas passing California as the most populous state around 2045, if I were Disney I’d try to capitalize on that growth, they may have already missed their chance though, the cheap land they could have bought back in 1989 is likely millions an acre now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom