Trip Report A little bit of Disney and a lot of luaus!

Hello all!
We're back from our "Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa" stay, and I'm finally able to get this trip report started!
(And fyi the closest I came to a spa was getting a water bubble foot bath at the kids splash area!) 🤣

Our party of 6 and a 1/2 consisted of myself Cindy, husband Gary, son Seth, daughter Aleisha (and the half), SIL Julio and our 20 month old granddaughter Una. (You may remember her as crazy girl from our Oct. 2021 WDW trip report.) Nothing has changed there!

Same cast of characters except in a different location!
IMG_0342.JPG

We left home 9/24/22 and returned 10/5/22.
On Saturday the 24th we flew from Pittsburgh to Sacramento via Dallas. (That is a big airport)!

Before we left I bought myself a new (larger) suitcase for the trip. Someone may or may not have packed one and a half suitcases full of kid crap treasures and needed more space! When I retired my partners bought me the smaller version of this and I love it so much (and it's held up for 4 years of Disney adventures) so it made sense to buy the matching larger one! I'm glad they still offer the same pattern.
IMG_0013.JPG

We packed up all of said stuff and headed to the airport. Our flight was at a reasonable 1:30pm so we didn't have to kill ourselves to get there.
I put this photo in to remind myself to never do this again. I wanted to save $3/day:rolleyes: and so I parked in the economy lot. @riverside will be able to tell you how silly this decision was. There are no shuttles and it was a full on 20 minute walk with my annoying hip back to the terminal. You see that strip of brown there past my car? That is the highway surrounding the airport! But hey, I saved $3/day!
IMG_0110.JPG

We got through security no problem that time of day and got on the monorail type thing that takes you from the land to air side.
And ps, I'm with every other human on the planet that is sick of mask wearing but Gary's oncologist has asked him to keep wearing them indoors as much as possible due to his immunocompromised state with ongoing chemo and so we do.
I tell everyone it's not going to be his cancer or covid that takes him out, it's going to be me.
See post of family fracas that occurs in a few days.
IMG_0114.JPG

We had time to grab an early lunch so we shared Chick-fil-A nuggets, waffle fries and some Auntie Anne's nuggets.
He's happy, honestly! He doesn't earn those Grumpy shirts for nuthin!🤣
IMG_0115.JPG

And then on to what started out as one of the most controversial subjects of this trip.
As his illness progresses and he gets more tired (and grumpy) I try to figure out how to make things less stressful and easier for him.
Flying has become something he detests. So I proposed for the first time in our life that we try to fly first/business class and see if it is any easier for him. If you hate it or feel it is not worth it, never again I tell him.
(Remember I'm the person too cheap to park closer, I don't throw money away either).
Oh boy did the grumping and complaining begin. That's too expensive, I don't want to do that and on and on. I finally wore him down and he acquiesced.
So, how do you think it went?

Give you a little hint, that's actually a smile behind that mask as he sits in his nice wide soft seat!
YCRZ1041.JPG

Do I get to do a wifely eyeball roll yet?!:rolleyes:
Hope you'll stay tuned for more of our adventures!

LisaBelle

I absolutely loved your report. Hawaii is one of my dream destinations and staying at Aulani would be the icing on the cake! So much gorgeous scenery!
Sorry it happened but I’m glad to hear we aren’t the only ones who have family meltdowns on vacation!
Una is adorable! I loved seeing her interact with Mickey and Minnie.
The story behind Seth’s Sivako tattoo brought tears to my eyes!
Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I absolutely loved your report. Hawaii is one of my dream destinations and staying at Aulani would be the icing on the cake! So much gorgeous scenery!
Sorry it happened but I’m glad to hear we aren’t the only ones who have family meltdowns on vacation!
Una is adorable! I loved seeing her interact with Mickey and Minnie.
The story behind Seth’s Sivako tattoo brought tears to my eyes!
Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!
Thanks for following and yes Hawaii is just gorgeous!
Una is a trip and the family is, well family! 🤣

cgersic

Absolutely loved this report so thank you so much for taking the time! Hawaii is one of the most special places and I'm glad you got to experience it, along with Aulani, with your family. I can't wait to hear about the new baby and I'm wishing you all a very joyous Christmas Season. I also haven't forgotten about Seth and Orlando - things have gone a bit haywire around here lately - but I'll reach out after the New Year.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Absolutely loved this report so thank you so much for taking the time! Hawaii is one of the most special places and I'm glad you got to experience it, along with Aulani, with your family. I can't wait to hear about the new baby and I'm wishing you all a very joyous Christmas Season. I also haven't forgotten about Seth and Orlando - things have gone a bit haywire around here lately - but I'll reach out after the New Year.
Thank you for following along and your kind words.
How did your family fare with the last storm?

cgersic

Thank you for following along and your kind words.
How did your family fare with the last storm?
They didn't have anything left to lose, so I guess we did ok? :joyfull: We're trying to figure out where our 80 year old disabled dad should go next. I desperately want to keep him here, but it's looking like they will relocate to Iowa where another sister lives. Thank you for asking!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
They didn't have anything left to lose, so I guess we did ok? :joyfull: We're trying to figure out where our 80 year old disabled dad should go next. I desperately want to keep him here, but it's looking like they will relocate to Iowa where another sister lives. Thank you for asking!
Oh I'm sorry about all of that. How traumatic for him and you guys. At 80 you should be able to live where you want to, and do what you want to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom