Disney executives staged revolt against Chapek

Chef Mickey

What did Chapek actually want to accomplish? A Pat on the back from the board of directors?

He was literally hated by Disney fans and Disney managers and employees.
Power and money. Nothing else drives these people, even the good ones. Think about Iger. He's 70, rich as anyone could want, and he still came back to do this another 2 years. Why? He enjoys the power, attention, and money. NOTHING wrong with that BTW, but most people would be happy with a $350M net worth and spend their last years in retirement - however much of a dumpster fire it is at their former company.

As a shareholder and Disney fan, I'm happy people like Iger exist because he at least saves Disney from another 2 years of destruction from Chapstick.

gorillaball

Power and money. Nothing else drives these people, even the good ones. Think about Iger. He's 70, rich as anyone could want, and he still came back to do this another 2 years. Why? He enjoys the power, attention, and money. NOTHING wrong with that BTW, but most people would be happy with a $350M net worth and spend their last years in retirement - however much of a dumpster fire it is at their former company.

As a shareholder and Disney fan, I'm happy people like Iger exist because he at least saves Disney from another 2 years of destruction from Chapstick.
This is actually one situation where I would genuinely believe its not about the money. Power, legacy, sense of need... but not money.

Chef Mickey

This is actually one situation where I would genuinely believe its not about the money. Power, legacy, sense of need... but not money.
Yeah, notice power is first, always. The money is just a secondary win impact, but he wouldn't be doing this for free either. He's likely going to get $100M added to his legacy for his 2 years.

DisneyCane

Many top-level management think this way. They either don't think that it was their fault or they use some reasoning to explain how it couldn't be helped. They will then focus on getting another top job so that they rub it in the noses of the doubters. I saw a CEO who was in his upper 50's and received $50M after the company was bought. He was right back at work as CEO of another company whereas, in my mind, I would have happily retired with my millions somewhere sunny and warm.

So would I and that's why neither you nor I will ever become a CEO that earns that kind of money. The people that do are wired differently. They have a drive and mentality that is very different from somebody like me.

Look at Elon Musk. He basically works 24/7 when he has enough wealth to spend his life vacationing on the moon. I would probably have retired on what he made selling PayPal. If I founded Tesla I would have achieved market dominance and then rode off into the sunset with my few hundred billion dollars worth of stock.

kingdead

So would I and that's why neither you nor I will ever become a CEO that earns that kind of money. The people that do are wired differently. They have a drive and mentality that is very different from somebody like me.

Look at Elon Musk. He basically works 24/7 when he has enough wealth to spend his life vacationing on the moon. I would probably have retired on what he made selling PayPal. If I founded Tesla I would have achieved market dominance and then rode off into the sunset with my few hundred billion dollars worth of stock.
Unless there's something truly shocking that I don't know about, if there were ever two different personalities, it's Elon Musk and Bob Chapek.

Ayla

LOL Stop spreading the myth he founded Tesla.

mf1972

You mean Lady Elaine Fairchilde?
View attachment 680357
E76F3074-4C29-4BA5-89A4-B6E2CF133D4C.jpeg

she reminded me of the movie smile that i’ve recently seen

CAV

*not a fan - think he's done really bad things for the company and absoutely for fans of the company. He was a horrible pick for parks and a horrible pick for CEO but I don't hate the man the way a lot of others who don't know him personally either, seem to.
Does this absolve yourself of guilt or make you feel superior to the run of the mill human?

Piebald

Power is a helluva drug. To the person who mentioned not being wired that way, that's exactly it. The level of narcissism required to be in these positions or run for high levels of office is not found in everybody. People can be complacent or avoiding unnecessary stress and complications to their daily lives. Iger is ridiculously rich and agreed for him to come back is just a different beast. See also: Tom Brady.

Chef Mickey

Power is a helluva drug. To the person who mentioned not being wired that way, that's exactly it. The level of narcissism required to be in these positions or run for high levels of office is not found in everybody. People can be complacent or avoiding unnecessary stress and complications to their daily lives. Iger is ridiculously rich and agreed for him to come back is just a different beast. See also: Tom Brady.
See politicians too. They never want to give up the power (non-partisan, btw). It's rampant among the people in power, from congress people to justices to presidents.

If I'm Iger, I'd fire every person who undercut Chapek, not because I like Chapek, but because they aren't loyal or professional. They also share in the blame.

Lilofan

See politicians too. They never want to give up the power (non-partisan, btw). It's rampant among the people in power, from congress people to justices to presidents.

If I'm Iger, I'd fire every person who undercut Chapek, not because I like Chapek, but because they aren't loyal or professional. They also share in the blame.
Company town hall meeting with Iger on 11/28 to discuss future of TWDC.

MrPromey

You mean Lady Elaine Fairchilde?
View attachment 680357

This picture drives me crazy because she really does just look plain evil in it.

I did a Google Image search when I first saw it to see if that's how she really looks because I couldn't believe they would take a normal looking person and do something like this to them for a promo pic.

Turns out, I was wrong.

Apparently, someone that this woman trusts who secretly doesn't like her, convinced her this was a flattering photo.

thomas998

Many top-level management think this way. They either don't think that it was their fault or they use some reasoning to explain how it couldn't be helped. They will then focus on getting another top job so that they rub it in the noses of the doubters. I saw a CEO who was in his upper 50's and received $50M after the company was bought. He was right back at work as CEO of another company whereas, in my mind, I would have happily retired with my millions somewhere sunny and warm.

I would venture that Chapek will argue that he was put in a position to fail, that he had no chance to make things work, and will probably blame Iger for everything. He won't question whether or not he was the right person for that particular job but will self-justify.
I've know quite a few C-level folks and the one thing they all seemed to have in common is they might have been charming if they wanted to be, but I wouldn't have trusted any of them. They didn't get where they were by simply being good at what they did, they were where they were because they stabbed the people that were above them in the back and climbed over the bodies. And you are very right about them never accepting they made a mistake. I still remember the idiot that basically bankrupted one company I worked for by making the most ridiculous decisions one could imagine... More than half the employees get laid off, he gets a golden parachute and before the smoke cleared he was working as the CEO of a competitor before it tanked and he ended up CEO at yet another company... It amazed me that any Boards would so quickly hired the CEO of a company that tanked... but I'm sure he came up with wonderful reasons why it wasn't his fault.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom