News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

jaxonp

That is a shame in a way as the sensation of the vulnerable bike position should feel somewhat more intense, but I suppose that is not the goal. After the launch of Tron back into the indoors, it has quite a few block sections that seem oddly paced vs Big Thunder which is one of the blockiest break coasters of all time but each section is paced fairly well and has the lifthills for storytelling and a build.

The lunch from inside to outside in the beginning is nice because of the lighting package... it just doesn't feel like youre being thrown back.

Bocabear

The lunch from inside to outside in the beginning is nice because of the lighting package... it just doesn't feel like youre being thrown back.
but what sort of lunch is it? a sandwich? a salad or more of an entree...Lunching both indoors and outdoors can be lovely if it is not too humid, and will that include beverages? We need to know these things!

Bocabear

Leave me alone before a launch my lunch at you
LOL! I read and laugh at my own typos all the time... I could not resist that one.
The beginning launch is great...the big circle outside under the canopy completely takes you out of the immersion they have been building in the queue...at night it is not too bad, but during the day it is kind of jarring. It would have worked much better if the entire canopy area had been indoors and in the dark with the futuristic TRON cityscape below and the queue winding through...then at least it would not be a day/night transition and it would sort of keep you in the environment... it would make it feel like a longer ride too as the outside portion divides the ride into two parts.... which again makes it feel shorter...

Skibum1970

LOL! I read and laugh at my own typos all the time... I could not resist that one.
The beginning launch is great...the big circle outside under the canopy completely takes you out of the immersion they have been building in the queue...at night it is not too bad, but during the day it is kind of jarring. It would have worked much better if the entire canopy area had been indoors and in the dark with the futuristic TRON cityscape below and the queue winding through...then at least it would not be a day/night transition and it would sort of keep you in the environment... it would make it feel like a longer ride too as the outside portion divides the ride into two parts.... which again makes it feel shorter...

That is one part of this ride that has never made sense. I'm supposed to be brought into the grid prior to even riding the coaster, if I understand the storyline. So, I get on the coaster which then takes me out of the grid back to reality and then back into the grid. Was I trying to escape the grid but was dragged back in? Am I not in the grid until the coaster reenters the building?

Mind you, this isn't a showstopper for me. I can still ride and enjoy it. I just wondered what the purpose was to take it outdoors and back inside, aside from a reason to spend an unbelievable amount of money to build the canopy.

Bocabear

I think the entire purpose of the outdoor section of the attraction was to show off the ride system and add some kinetic eye candy to the outside of the big box that is the show building... and in the end it is set dressing that does nothing to really advance the plot of the "story" that the ride is telling...it does the opposite. Also the many brake blocks encountered on the interior section are annoying and seem to stop the action every time it just starts going... The outdoor section should have had something to do with the inside....and it currently doesn't at all... so in the end, it feels like the launch is just a conveyance to the show building, because you fully brake before entering the interior part... when then feels painfully short. I liked the ride... I think it is visually very pretty when you get into the "Game Grid" but the outdoor section is problematic... Imagine if GOTG begins as it does on a transport shuttle in outer space, then launches outside on the roof before stopping and then going back inside... It would completely destroy the continuity of that attraction... Which is what this does at Tron. And yes I do think it is very pretty, and yes I enjoyed the ride ( went on it 3 times in a row)... but it would have made a much more engaging attraction with the launch and circle all happening indoors...

Surferboy567

I think the entire purpose of the outdoor section of the attraction was to show off the ride system and add some kinetic eye candy to the outside of the big box that is the show building... and in the end it is set dressing that does nothing to really advance the plot of the "story" that the ride is telling...it does the opposite. Also the many brake blocks encountered on the interior section are annoying and seem to stop the action every time it just starts going... The outdoor section should have had something to do with the inside....and it currently doesn't at all... so in the end, it feels like the launch is just a conveyance to the show building, because you fully brake before entering the interior part... when then feels painfully short. I liked the ride... I think it is visually very pretty when you get into the "Game Grid" but the outdoor section is problematic... Imagine if GOTG begins as it does on a transport shuttle in outer space, then launches outside on the roof before stopping and then going back inside... It would completely destroy the continuity of that attraction... Which is what this does at Tron. And yes I do think it is very pretty, and yes I enjoyed the ride ( went on it 3 times in a row)... but it would have made a much more engaging attraction with the launch and circle all happening indoors...
It’s strange because the progression in the queue works like this:

The canopy is referred to as a “upload conduit”.

1. Outside under the canopy, you are zapped with the digitizer. Who zapped us in the grid?

2. Then though a small hallway are sent from physical to the digital grid.

3. Then the grand reveal happens and the launch is shown. From that moment on, you should be “in the grid”.

4. The guests, in this case the “users” are then briefed on their mission inside the game grid. Even this is a bit muddy though, have we been captured by Clu? Where does this take place in the time period?

5. The users are sent into the launch tunnel the launch takes place in the grid. Then we are launched…outside the grid? The Upload Conduit takes us into the grid, even though we were in the grid in the queue. This “upload conduit” is not a thing that has ever existed in the universe as well. The portal is the only way to get in and out of the grid.

Side Note: Cast members are wearing the users colors are they programs? Why are programs affiliated with users working with Clu/Rinzler? The story is kinda all over the place, and that’s fine.

I’m a big fan of TRON Legacy, the attraction’s story is all over the place but I’m just excited to ride a Lightcycle/be in the grid even for a little bit. I will admit though, the canopy while not making much story sense looks cool. Also, I’m aware that those who are not versed in TRON lore may read this and have no idea what any of it means but so be it.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Pretty large number of workers on site today. Several of the light fixtures that had disappeared have now reappeared, the new sloped barrier around the planter for the attraction signage looks nearly complete, and the landscaping just behind the first section of bamboo they added now looks finished.
The Iger Effect is in full gear!!!11!

ToTBellHop

They say more trees spring up behind him with each footstep he takes.
There is a downside though: as he passes, productivity declines as CMs do this:
1669215748374.gif

jaxonp

Agree about the brake sections.. they stick out like a sore thumb... they aren't as noticeable on Guardians which is really just a muchmuch more fun ride in just about everyway. Too bad they didn't just build Guardians where Tron is.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I could definitely see this working as the end of the attraction instead of the beginning where you escape the grid, but oh well

Bocabear

in the transfer of the ride from Shanghai to WDW, they could have addressed any of those issues but chose not to... It would have made sense as the exit...escaping the grid, and would have still given them the outdoor visual candy... But...it is what it is, it will be a very extremely popular attraction as it is so new. Hopefully this will allow them to carefully refurbish Space Mountain and give it the love and updated effects that is so desperately needs and deserves... I would also love to see a new exit display and new speedramps... The current exit is terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom