News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

SteamboatJoe

It was the plan 3-4 years ago when streaming was the unfailing future of media. And that bubble got bigger and bigger and bigger…..
I have to imagine some sort of correction is coming re: streaming especially if a recession hits. We seem to have reached critical mass in the market. The average consumer only has so many entertainment dollars and will grow tired of having to keep tabs on so many services.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I have to imagine some sort of correction is coming re: streaming especially if a recession hits. We seem to have reached critical mass in the market. The average consumer only has so many entertainment dollars and will grow tired of having to keep tabs on so many services.
Disney is in a unique situation because of their exposure in having 3 different streaming services. Most of which are bundled and most of which are not organic subscribers. (eg bundled with cellphone or telco or cable provider) I would wager that if most current D+, ESPN+, or Hulu subscribers had to pay directly for their subscriptions the situation would be much worse.

SteamboatJoe

Disney is in a unique situation because of their exposure in having 3 different streaming services. Most of which are bundled and most of which are not organic subscribers. (eg bundled with cellphone or telco or cable provider) I would wager that if most current D+, ESPN+, or Hulu subscribers had to pay directly for their subscriptions the situation would be much worse.
So is the answer merge one or more of the above to eliminate redundancies and broaden appeal or keep them as separate yet in bundles so as to not deviate from their respective core reasons for being?

tanc

Hearing many people say that Chapek was the fall out guy. Not sure what to think, Chapek did everything he could to save money for the company but a lot was tarnished due to it. Now Iger coming back and looking like the "good guy" is just laughable. Some of the decisions Iger made before his exit make me wonder if the company will really be in better hands or not. I always wonder who will be the true successor to Iger, in a way it's sort of unbelievable that Chapek was the one that succeeded Iger.

Will Disney IT really be willing to roll back a lot of these park systems? I mean, there's some huge legitimate questions to be answered. We all want the parks to be back to the normal way, but I seriously wonder if Disney will invest to "fix" what happened.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
So is the answer merge one or more of the above to eliminate redundancies and broaden appeal or keep them as separate yet in bundles so as to not deviate from their respective core reasons for being?
So merging is dangerous because they count subscribers of bundles across all the services. Imagine the collective horror of consolidating and finding your subscriber growth was flat.

SteamboatJoe

So merging is dangerous because they count subscribers of bundles across all the services. Imagine the collective horror of consolidating and finding your subscriber growth was flat.
I understand the optics but subscriber count being used as a measure of success is a silly premise when one thinks about it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
i would wager that 90% of US D+, Hulu, or ESPN+ subs are paying out of pocket already.

Incomudro

I hope so.
They've made what was already a stressful vacation to plan and navigate even more stressful.
Like you said, so much was put on the shoulders of the guests.

mysto

Hearing many people say that Chapek was the fall out guy. Not sure what to think, Chapek did everything he could to save money for the company but a lot was tarnished due to it. Now Iger coming back and looking like the "good guy" is just laughable. Some of the decisions Iger made before his exit make me wonder if the company will really be in better hands or not. I always wonder who will be the true successor to Iger, in a way it's sort of unbelievable that Chapek was the one that succeeded Iger.

Will Disney IT really be willing to roll back a lot of these park systems? I mean, there's some huge legitimate questions to be answered. We all want the parks to be back to the normal way, but I seriously wonder if Disney will invest to "fix" what happened.

In the old days they would call him the hatchet man. Brought in from some m&a investment bank to make the unpopular cuts, then sail into the sunset hated by all with a big carpet bag of loot.

However, the stock dropped hard around earnings, then 2 weeks later Chapek is out. Coincidence? The Iger rally is not nearly as large as the Chapek plunge was, I think the market knows there are still underlying issues.

And I've had the same thought as you about IT, can they really just magically (haha) put it all back? I mean they must be getting good at this by now, if they don't lay them everyone off again and have to start over.

tanc

It's essentially like 2+ - 5 years of new software development work (Genie was announced in 2019), I really doubt they are going to roll back any changes with the park. Probably will be a really long time until anything changes I think. I'm not really sure Iger is going to put his foot down on it, it's a massive investment. As much as I want the parks to go back to how they are, I just don't see fiscally it happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom