DCL Buys Unfinished Mega Cruise Ship - Genting Golden Dream ???

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting wording on the press release. "will bring the magic of a Disney Cruise Line vacation to new global destinations."

The original ship was designed for the Asian cruise market, with many design features not suitable for "western" cruise markets.

It would not surprise me if this ship never makes it anywhere near the Caribbean or Europe and primarily stays in East Asia.

I'm sure that by 2025 that whole area will be a nice stable place free of Pandemic restrictions and other sources of conflict right?

CaptainAmerica

Interesting wording on the press release. "will bring the magic of a Disney Cruise Line vacation to new global destinations."

The original ship was designed for the Asian cruise market, with many design features not suitable for "western" cruise markets.

It would not surprise me if this ship never makes it anywhere near the Caribbean or Europe and primarily stays in East Asia.

I'm sure that by 2025 that whole area will be a nice stable place free of Pandemic restrictions and other sources of conflict right?
But I've also seen it heavily implied that the reduction from the initial intended capacity of 9,500 to "only" 6,000 was because it wasn't going to Asia.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
But I've also seen it heavily implied that the reduction from the initial intended capacity of 9,500 to "only" 6,000 was because it wasn't going to Asia.
6000 people max capacity with 2300 crew on a ship that's 15% smaller (Gross tonnage) than an Oasis Class cruise ship?

The only place mega cruise ships have succeed is in the Caribbean. Royal was one of the few large western cruise lines which prior to the pandemic only operated Quantum class ship out of East Asia. While the Quantum class is not a small ship, this new one is about 17% larger in terms of capacity.

It wouldn't be far fetched to think Disney wants a piece of this.

ToTBellHop

6000 people max capacity with 2300 crew on a ship that's 15% smaller (Gross tonnage) than an Oasis Class cruise ship?

The only place mega cruise ships have succeed is in the Caribbean. Royal was one of the few large western cruise lines which prior to the pandemic only operated Quantum class ship out of East Asia. While the Quantum class is not a small ship, this new one is about 17% larger in terms of capacity.

It would be pretty cool to offer sailings that include port stops that could include day trips to TDL, SDL, and/or HKDL.

Disone

It's pretty amazing how important a paint job can be. This is the first mega-ship I've seen that I would consider not-ugly.
Agree. The third smoke stack also helps, even the ship out a little bit. Helps to keep that classic silhouette the other ships have. When I was on the Wish, I almost wondered if they should have tried to go for three smokestacks and instead of just two.

I agree. That is interesting wording. It could mean this ship isn't coming stateside or that the other ships will be sent around the world once the ship does come state side.
Compared to the Oasis and Icon class this thing is embarrassing. But to each their own...
Here I disagree. At least is artist concept. This ship looks better than an oasis class and especially an icon class that looks a little bit like, as a friend of mine nicknamed it, the Barbie dream ship My Hasbro.

Obobru

It would be pretty cool to offer sailings that include port stops that could include day trips to TDL, SDL, and/or HKDL.
For TDL and HKDL they could build a dock next to those parks as they are next to the sea. I can see both parks wanting to do that as they will benefit from a large influx of visitors who may not otherwise attend.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Quantum is also what we are on for Alaska next year. You can still find the Asian influences.

Disney Analyst

I agree. That is interesting wording. It could mean this ship isn't coming stateside or that the other ships will be sent around the world once the ship does come state side.

From Disney's press release:

"The new ship, to be based outside the United States, will feature innovative Disney experiences along with the dazzling entertainment, world-class dining and legendary guest service that set Disney Cruise Line apart. The exterior will be adorned in the iconic, Mickey Mouse-inspired colors of the fleet, complete with signature red funnels."

So this ship will not be for US market.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
From Disney's press release:

"The new ship, to be based outside the United States, will feature innovative Disney experiences along with the dazzling entertainment, world-class dining and legendary guest service that set Disney Cruise Line apart. The exterior will be adorned in the iconic, Mickey Mouse-inspired colors of the fleet, complete with signature red funnels."

So this ship will not be for US market.
Unlikely to be Europe to definitely the pacific imo.

Robbiem

‘The ship’s previous owner filed for bankruptcy before completing the vessel, enabling Disney Cruise Line to secure it at a favorable price and within the capital expenditure guidance The Walt Disney Company provided on its recent earnings call’

What a great press release, remind me to check my capital expenditure guidance next time I visit Disneyland 😂✌️

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I’d be intrigued if they could manage Shanghai, HK and/or Disney Seas parks sprinkled in with other ports. Maybe different seasons for north and south pacific?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom