News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Vegas Disney Fan

The idea that Disney would close the Starcruiser next year is laughably absurd.

At most they'd just offer discounts -- I think they could charge roughly half of what they're charging now and still make a nice profit.
With set cruise dates they could also eliminate a cruise a week to consolidate demand, there’s a lot of things they could do before resorting to closing the whole hotel.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A lot of speculation on the Starcruiser losing money if it doesn't hit a certain capacity, but is this based on anything concrete? Does anyone actually know what the running costs are?

Well that is basic business sense. Things have operating costs... nothing runs for free, especially when it includes hospitality and entertainment.

But the notion that anything less than 100% is now critical is not basic business sense, and actually runs counter to it. So this is a classic sense of people taking a slice of truth and getting hyperbolic with it to jump to some biased conclusion.

They would know running 100% occupancy isn't a sustainable thing, even with unmet demand... so execs would know that approving a business plan that only made money at 100% is a fantasy.. and no regular exec would buy into that.

Unless they also know that running at a loss would be the norm, and is to be expected. And that not only runs opposed to most Disney pricing of late.. it would REALLY not make sense for a product intentionally priced as an exclusive. So this notion too has basically a zero probability.

So none of that makes any sense and anyone pushing that is just blowing smoke.

What is their real break-even point... that would be real insider information. We don't even know really how much staff they have. But any practical business plan would have an expected occupancy rate that is not only a forecast, but one that is believed to be achievable... and they'd setup a pricing structure that was inclusive of their cost and forecast needs.

I mean.. this isn't some guy that just woke up and said "I'm gonna start a hotel today!" - They have professionals managing this.. and even if they sucked, they would have financial analysts telling them they are crazy.. long before the thing opened.

_caleb

So, where's this site getting this from?

Have you read their other articles?...

Guys

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 1.08.27 PM.png

GimpYancIent

The idea that Disney would close the Starcruiser next year is laughably absurd.

At most they'd just offer discounts -- I think they could charge roughly half of what they're charging now and still make a nice profit.
True about the Star cruiser venue making money even at a fraction of the price currently charged. However, it has been the track record for management to run something into the ground at a set price point then when attendance drops just shutter it rather than adjust the pricing model. There is an arrogance to the management style that is actually disgusting. Whether true or not I can see the direction the thought would come from.

TP2000

If they are truly cutting to 1 dinner service then 50% or less would make sense.

Agreed. You could probably rework some tables and get to 60% occupancy or so for one seating.

But on days they are only doing 1 dinner service/show, that tells you that the occupancy of the Starcruiser is 60% or less for that "voyage".

I see now that the other site spoke with Starcruiser CM's and those knowledgeable of the situation enough to mention that on the one dinner service nights, waiters now have as little as 12 guests to take care of per shift - which is one third the guests (and tips!) than they had originally trained for.

That kind of CM info and level of detail tells me that this situation is real and it's actually happening on some nights; it's not being made up just to embarrass WDI or anger TDO. 🧐

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

A lot of speculation on the Starcruiser losing money if it doesn't hit a certain capacity, but is this based on anything concrete?

This is true of any hotel. There's a certain average number you need to hit to turn a profit based on the cost of operating the property.

I believe Disney's hotel occupancy hovers around 80%...or has at least for the most part. Keep in mind Disney can adjust capacity by closing rooms or wings for refurbishment or if they don't think they need the space. We've also seen the trend in the last 10-15 years to convert rooms into DVC inventory.

What makes the Starcruiser unique is how tiny it is compared to every other on property hotel. This makes the experience more exclusive and easier to staff, though there are some experiences that require different skill sets because of the nature of the various shows.

Having said all that, I'd say anything less than a 70% average this soon after opening is probably below Disney's expectations. I'm sure they thought they could keep it at 90% or better for the first two years if for no other reason than the low total number of rooms and the initial hype.

Does that mean 25-30% [if that is true] would be unprofitable with lowered staffing? I can't say, but if [again, if], the numbers were that low 18 months after opening I would suspect there's probably a team of people reconsidering how they price and deliver these tours.

GimpYancIent

This is true of any hotel. There's a certain average number you need to hit to turn a profit based on the cost of operating the property.

I believe Disney's hotel occupancy hovers around 80%...or has at least for the most part. Keep in mind Disney can adjust capacity by closing rooms or wings for refurbishment or if they don't think they need the space. We've also seen the trend in the last 10-15 years to convert rooms into DVC inventory.

What makes the Starcruiser unique is how tiny it is compared to every other on property hotel. This makes the experience more exclusive and easier to staff, though there are some experiences that require different skill sets because of the nature of the various shows.

Having said all that, I'd say anything less than a 70% average this soon after opening is probably below Disney's expectations. I'm sure they thought they could keep it at 90% or better for the first two years if for no other reason than the low total number of rooms and the initial hype.

Does that mean 25-30% [if that is true] would be unprofitable with lowered staffing? I can't say, but if [again, if], the numbers were that low 18 months after opening I would suspect there's probably a team of people reconsidering how they price and deliver these tours.
Stand by!
1669028417272.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here are the details and dates -

Eligible Disney Vacation Club Members can enjoy 30% off original Points Chart values on select 2-night voyages. This offer can be booked with Points or a combination of Points and cash. Terms Apply*.

This offer applies to the following departures in the winter of 2023:
  • January 11 – 13, 2023
  • January 17 – 19, 2023
  • January 19 – 21, 2023
  • January 21 – 23, 2023
  • January 25 – 27, 2023
  • January 31 – February 2, 2023
  • February 12 – 14, 2023
  • February 28 – March 2, 2023
  • March 2 – 4, 2023
Review important offer details.
  • Members must be eligible for Membership Extras to take advantage of this special offer. Limit one cabin per offer.
  • Points must be used to pay for at least one Member; a combination of Points or cash may be used to book additional Guests. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts, is not transferable or redeemable for cash, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice.
  • Activities, entertainment and Characters are subject to change.
  • Reservation must be made prior to the last 4 months of your Use Year for stays during that Use Year.
  • Reservation is subject to Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Terms and Conditions—which can be found on the Booking Confirmation Email received after booking—and the Disney Vacation Club Cancellation Policy.
  • Offer is only available for standard cabins and not valid for suite accommodations.
  • Offer dates are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice.
*A nonrefundable $95 transaction fee applies per confirmed Disney Collection reservation. You will receive a call requesting payment within 72 hours of completing your booking. If payment is not received within 72 hours following this call, Disney Vacation Club reserves the right to cancel the reservation.

How to book -

Please call Member Services at (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom