Portions of Kidzone closing January 16, 2023

JT3000

I don't think F&F is going anywhere anytime soon. I imagine they sunk a lot of money into it...somehow.
I'm sure it wasn't cheap per se, but they certainly saved money by using the same ride system as Kong, which had required some hefty bugs to be worked out before it functioned properly. I'm sure this perceived return on what was largely a preexisting investment was likely one of the main motivations for greenlighting the attraction, along with simply wanting the huge F&F brand in the parks. But it's a return on investment that didn't come to fruition. Not only are people not visiting the parks to ride Supercharged, it already has a decidedly negative reputation. It's hard to say what they'll do or how long it will take given the ride's youth and the amount of capital already being spent elsewhere, but they're certainly aware that the project is a failure.

Considering they built a brand new building just for this attraction, which was probably the largest chunk of its cost, the real question here is how easily the current ride can be scrapped in favor of a new one, which could be a major factor in their decision. It's a large building, but I'm not aware of its particulars.

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

I'm sure it wasn't cheap per se, but they certainly saved money by using the same ride system as Kong, which had required some hefty bugs to be worked out before it functioned properly. I'm sure this perceived return on what was largely a preexisting investment was likely one of the main motivations for greenlighting the attraction, along with simply wanting the huge F&F brand in the parks. But it's a return on investment that didn't come to fruition. Not only are people not visiting the parks to ride Supercharged, it already has a decidedly negative reputation. It's hard to say what they'll do or how long it will take given the ride's youth and the amount of capital already being spent elsewhere, but they're certainly aware that the project is a failure.

Considering they built a brand new building just for this attraction, which was probably the largest chunk of its cost, the real question here is how easily the current ride can be scrapped in favor of a new one, which could be a major factor in their decision. It's a large building, but I'm not aware of its particulars.
I wish they would just treat Supercharged as a sunk cost. It doesn't push merch or park tickets and isn't liked by the public or fans, they have no reason to keep it around except to save the funds it would take to replace it. I would sell my soul for them to tear down the building, retheme San Francisco to Amity, and build a modern version of Jaws on the show building plot surrounded by a few beach/boardwalk themed flat rides. But I'm not in charge.

DonniePeverley

Supercharged can stay - put it down to experience as an awful attraction. They could of course modify it. Doubt they will though.

Keep it for 5 years or so as more sequels come out and then put it away. The hate it get's is a tad bizarre, especially as the Despicable Me attraction is also just as horrendous

SpectreJordan

Hopefully they'll just replace it with a coaster. I have no idea how the FAST and the Furious franchise didn't get a coaster by default.

999th Happy Haunt

Supercharged can stay - put it down to experience as an awful attraction. They could of course modify it. Doubt they will though.

Keep it for 5 years or so as more sequels come out and then put it away. The hate it get's is a tad bizarre, especially as the Despicable Me attraction is also just as horrendous
Despicable Me didn't replace 2 better attractions, and that building has had the same simulator setup since day one.

Rush

Supercharged wasn't really meant to be a stand alone attraction. It was developed as a tunnel segment for Hollywood's tram tour. Hollywood's management proposed to Orlando's leadership they split the cost and bring it to the East coast as a new attraction with additional scenes and and expanded queue footage. Same was true for Kong before it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Supercharged wasn't really meant to be a stand alone attraction. It was developed as a tunnel segment for Hollywood's tram tour. Hollywood's management proposed to Orlando's leadership they split the cost and bring it to the East coast as a new attraction with additional scenes and and expanded queue footage. Same was true for Kong before it.
Shame that they can't just gut the building and make an indoor F&F coaster..

TwilightZone

I wonder if the reason "Villian con" is being constructed is due to the need to replace minion mayhem. I have a soft spot for the ride and it's ride system but I would be lying if I said the ride system has aged well. Probably one of the rockiest rides I have ever been on, and I have only been on the newer Hollywood version where years of wear and tear isn't really an issue.

Cmdr_Crimson

I wonder if the reason "Villian con" is being constructed is due to the need to replace minion mayhem. I have a soft spot for the ride and it's ride system but I would be lying if I said the ride system has aged well. Probably one of the rockiest rides I have ever been on, and I have only been on the newer Hollywood version where years of wear and tear isn't really an issue.
Probably not. With them making the old Cafe a Minions themed Cafe they want to make this a Minion Midway when you enter..

DonniePeverley

The ride was built at a time when Universal was really struggling. It was nothing more than a cheap overlay of an already outdated ride Jimmy Neutron attraction (and before that Hanna Barbera attraction). It uses the exact same outdated ride. It's popularity and long wait times is more due to the fact it's a popular IP than any love for the attraction.

The attraction is an utter disgrace, and up there with me Fast N Furious for the simulator fatigue syndrome Unviersal suffers from.

DonniePeverley

Shame that they can't just gut the building and make an indoor F&F coaster..

Look first they went overload on motion simulator, now the last thing we want them to do is go silly on rollercoasters. How about some original attractions that the whole family can enjoy?

Rollercoasters are cheap, the lowest common denominator for theme parks, requiring little effort - you can buy a bog standard coaster from any company. Paint it black and call it Batman. That's it.

Universal does not need another coaster at this point in time. If you want more coasters go to Six Flags.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Look first they went overload on motion simulator, now the last thing we want them to do is go silly on rollercoasters. How about some original attractions that the whole family can enjoy?

Rollercoasters are cheap, the lowest common denominator for theme parks, requiring little effort - you can buy a bog standard coaster from any company. Paint it black and call it Batman. That's it.

Universal does not need another coaster at this point in time. If you want more coasters go to Six Flags.
Okay....What do you suggest rather than what they have now if they wanted to keep it as a F&F themed attraction? This?
f63746cf682cc204913ac2e7fb0a1947.jpg

It fits the vibe for the .
giphy.webp

DonniePeverley

For Fast N Furious - my own opinion is they should have gone to something like the Cars attraction Radiator Springs racers California / Test track type scenario, incorporating sport vehicles, show scenes, and most importantly speed. Just my opinion of course.

By suggesting the franchise should be turned into a roller coaster, on the sole basis coasters go fast) is lazy creativity.

minekb

For Fast N Furious - my own opinion is they should have gone to something like the Cars attraction Radiator Springs racers California / Test track type scenario, incorporating sport vehicles, show scenes, and most importantly speed. Just my opinion of course.

By suggesting the franchise should be turned into a roller coaster, on the sole basis coasters go fast) is lazy creativity.
Radiator Springs Racers alone is as big as Diagon Alley + Gringotts. Space is a problem too

Cmdr_Crimson

Sadly USH missed the memo..😂

DonniePeverley

Radiator Springs Racers alone is as big as Diagon Alley + Gringotts. Space is a problem too

Lack of space is a misconception in my opinion. Universal does have space - and has areas, venues that aren't in use. The Fear Factor area for one is prime real estate that hasn't been used for years. Of course there are other areas that Universal are now addressing where this could have gone. Go see Disneyland in California for how to get more in a smaller space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom