News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

UNCgolf

I am wondering if this has to do with the fact EVERYONE is willing to ride Rise, where we have many folks unwilling to even try Guardians.

The ride capacity of each is a factor also

I think that's a big part of it. Disney has a significant customer base that either can't ride intense coasters or just aren't interested in them. The height requirement on GotG is only 2" more than Rise, so I don't think the small kids factor is a major one in this particular comparison, though.

Guardians does have higher capacity than Rise too, although the difference in availability has been so huge (at least on some days) that I don't think that's nearly enough to explain it.

SplashJacket

Factors that can explain better availability for Guardians than Rise
  • More supply
    • Higher overall capacity
    • Higher reliability
  • More demand for Rise
    • Rise opened in December 2019, a peak travel time before the reservation system, so people saw the craziness and felt compelled to see what it was about
    • Rise opened months after Galaxy's Edge, effectively acting as a hype train
    • Rise has more "Instagramable moments" whereas Guardians lacks the "Wow" moments that draws attention to Rise. I've heard many reviews saying the best part is the feeling of the ride. That doesn't translate to a social media world.
    • Starcruiser guests needing to ride
  • Less supply for Rise
    • Low capacity, reliability issues,
    • Covid restrictions limiting capacity
  • Greater barriers to riding
    • Warnings of motion sickness. On my trip in a couple of weeks, my dad opted out of riding due to motion-sickness fears.
    • Rollercoaster (HUGE) in January 2020, I got my 78 year-old-grandma to wake up at the crack of dawn to ride rise. She loved it so much that she did it on a subsequent day. In my current party, only two of us will ride Guardians. For Rise, our whole party of 9 rode it, even though half of it consisted of people who would never ride a rollercoaster
    • Higher height requirement
    • Lower total number of Annual Passholders (greatly affects Epcot). Passholders master the system and ride dozens of times in a short period
  • In the age of Park Pass Reservations, it's harder to book a trip as soon as you want. With the current demand for the parks, getting a reservation isn't as simple as seeing a cool ride, booking tickets, and enjoying. You have to book farther in advance.
Guardians is likely to attract a group of travelers unlikely to go to Epcot. The people who don't do coasters, but do theme parks, are likely the people going to Epcot regardless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Any word when the Christmas music will start playing? Christmas is in 7 weeks
surprise sue.gif

Minthorne

Ok over 1 week 10/29-11/4 I rode it 9 times. I paid twice ($14) Got am boarding group 6 times and got a 2nd boarding group at 6pm drop on Halloween during extended deluxe resort hours.

September 1x
Conga x2
One way or another x1 (my favorite)
Everybody wants to rule the word x3 (least favorite)
Disco Inferno x1
I Ran x1

The queue show didn’t make Xandar that wondrous. The pre show was typical Disney vibe to me (and uh…fly) and the teleport effect was done better at the Star Trek experience (or fluffy for that matter) but it was still fun.

It’s super enjoyable ride. The car rotation removed any feeling of lateral jostling and didn’t make me dizzy at all. The restraint reminded me of Velocicoaster (still my favorite Orlando coaster) and was very comfortable.

It’s a really prime ride and I think worth the investment. Is it in the right park? Probably not, but at least they didn’t remove RnR to replace it with this. It’s a glass half full! To go with the cake.

Last edited:

WDW_Emily

Just a head up for anyone trying to get on guardians this weekend. Today 7am queue was gone in 3 seconds, 1pm queue gone in 9 seconds! We only got on because of lightning lane and even that was gone wicked fast.

Stupido

So I know I'm super late to the motion sickness discussion, but I had a crazy experience the second time I rode Cosmic Rewind that I had to share.

My group got to ride in late October, the 21st. We got a lightening lane for the AM, and loved the ride so much we decided we wanted to try again for a boarding group in the afternoon. We were successful, and were surprised at how quickly we moved through the queue. When we were finally boarded, we noticed the train was stopped, and nothing was happening. We looked back, and there was a group of four people from the DAS line fighting with a group of cast members. There was an older, heavyset woman in a ECV who wanted to ride the coaster. She was at least 70 years old, and at least 275 pounds. The cast members were trying to warn her that due to the intensity of the ride, and the motion sickness effects, they highly discourage her from getting on. Nana wasn't having it, and insisted that she was fit to ride. This was going on for at least 5/10 minutes. The cast members eventually resigned that if the party could get her into the coaster, she could ride. They plopped her in the last row of the ride, and we were off!

Our party was a little nervous at first, but the second the coaster reverse launched, it was over. Nana had her arms in the air, smiling ear to ear, screaming, laughing, and singing along with Blondie. It was the best ride experience of our entire stay.

I understand that motion sickness effects every person differently, but to those nervous about the effects of this ride, I absolutely think it's worth the try!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom