the old feeling is gone.... or at least reduced a lot..

Goofyernmost

Checking to see if there is finally one claim actually worth “the magic is gone.” It’s usually someone waited in line or prices were high, or a CM didn’t sufficiently kiss up to them. Come on.
I'm not saying you don't have the right to enjoy what you are experiencing, but I am upset about those with that mind set come onto a thread that is simply stating that the magic has gone or diminished and expect everyone to fall into lockstep with your feelings about it and instead of describing why you feel that way and why we should you call us "whiners". We are not whining we are stating factual differences between then and now in an attempt to vent and express why after decades of being loyal fans we are no longer getting that wonderful feeling. That feeling we got when a Disney Park was a fun and stress free experience that allowed us to not be picked upside down and shaken until ever nickel is dropped. After that we could not even come close to what the original experience was for us.

You are welcome to go there and spend until you are broke, that is your right, but just because you didn't get to experience what we did doesn't give any of you the right to insult our judgement, our right to express it or our maturity level. When your problem was totally avoidable by not clicking onto a thread that was obviously going to be contrary to your viewpoint. Read it an learn, read it and ignore what is said because it obviously doesn't pertain to your opinion or just calmly tell us why you feel that todays experience is worth a lot more money then the ones we had. Just don't go to name calling. There has been enough of that in our world over the last few years. It is time to become more civil and treat people that way you would want to be treated.

As for waited in line or price are to high or a CM didn't kiss up. In 40 years I waited in more lines then you can imagine but they were moving lines not stagnant situations due to legalized line cutting. No CM ever "kissed up to me" and I didn't expect them to do so. However, It is mind boggling to me how anyone can think that the prices aren't to high when you compare it to what your money bought in the past. So many of us made that decision that it was too high and have also made the decision that it wasn't worth the cost anymore. It is a bitter pill to swallow and many of us are saddened because we can no longer find the value. We like nostalgia as much as anyone but I am not going to throw away my money just for memories. They are good and I was able to enjoy a hassle free vacation, Disney is not that anymore!

Disclaimer: I covered a lot in this post and it is quite likely that much of what I talked about was not directed at you personally. It is just the situation that I am upset about and the general thought that just because we were able to see a different time doesn't mean that our concerns are not valid. There are plenty of pixie dust threads to go to that will reinforce your experience and feelings.

Last edited:

TQQQ

I don't mind paying for FastPass. I'm used to it as most other parks do it. I just wish they went the Universal route instead. No return times and let people get in line whenever they want.
You would rather pray then have it free?

You’re Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Polite

If you're finding the parks and resorts aren't as magical, I encourage you to check out DCL! I just got back from a great week on the Fantasy. Fantastic entertainment, food, and service, it was magical. I can't say enough great things about the crew/cast. I hope the rest of the company doesn't start to tarnish DCL because it's the closest thing to the old Disney parks and resorts magic.

LittleBuford

If you're finding the parks and resorts aren't as magical, I encourage you to check out DCL! I just got back from a great week on the Fantasy. Fantastic entertainment, food, and service, it was magical. I can't say enough great things about the crew/cast. I hope the rest of the company doesn't start to tarnish DCL because it's the closest thing to the old Disney parks and resorts magic.
You’re not alone in giving this advice, but I have to say that I don’t quite understand how a cruise ship is in any way comparable to a theme park. They seem like fundamentally different experiences to me. Enough people feel as you do, however, that I must be misunderstanding the basis on which the comparison is being made.

Polite

You’re not alone in giving this advice, but I have to say that I don’t quite understand how a cruise ship is in any way comparable to a theme park. They seem like fundamentally different experiences to me. Enough people feel as you do, however, that I must be misunderstanding the basis on which the comparison is being made.
There have been a lot of little things over time that did the parks in for me but I think the final straw was Genie+. The parks and resorts were at one point fun and relaxing for me. While I still love them and enjoy new attractions such as Cosmic Rewind, I find I can't relax and enjoy the moment as much as I once could. You're probably wondering what does that have to do with DCL.

I find that I can relax and have fun on DCL ships, while still being able to enjoy many of the things that we all love about Disney. As a DVC Member, I stay on property a lot and enjoy live entertainment, as well as eating at restaurants like Jiko, Flying Fish, Topolinos, Citricos, Narcoossee's, and Victoria and Alberts. I miss a lot of the live entertainment such as the Grand Florida Society Orchestra, entertainment on the Boardwalk, etc.

DCL also has yummy meals and tasty beverages and also special meals such as Palo and Remy. DCL has wonderful Broadway talent on the ships, with shows such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, etc. There is also a lot of specialty entertainment such as magic shows, comedy, and live music. While you won't find rides, they do have theatres, sports areas, a miniature golf course, pools, water play areas for the kiddos, water slides, and an Aqua Duck tube ride to enjoy, as well as many adult only areas, which kind of provide a stroll back to the Pleasure Island days. In addition to the above, there is a lot of Disney magic sprinkled throughout the ships, including characters, shopping, history, and unique theming. A big thing for me is, I don't feel like Disney is trying to nickel and dime me while I'm on the ship.

I'm surprised I've reached this point but here we are. My family has been having a lot of ongoing discussions about whether or not we will renew our annual passes. We are leaning towards taking a break from the parks and simply using our points to relax at the resorts. We'll probably make some trips over to Aulani with our points as well and come back to the parks in a few years. We love Disney, we are just currently finding DCL to be more relaxing, enjoyable, a better value, and ultimately more magical for us. The parks and resorts hold a special place in my heart but DCL has won me over for now.

Smiley/OCD

I have. I don't plan on returning til things change.

As far as complaining goes, I don't see it much on regional park boards.
That’s because people aren’t as passionate about Six Flags as they are about Disney…we have more vested interest, cherished memories and $$$ invested than a regional park. I grew up at SF Great Adventure…trust me, not only did the quality of guests go down, but the quality of the parks went down too. Yes, they usually add a “mega ride” every year, but the aesthetics are still light years from the mouse. The problem and complaints we all have is that the quality of SF isn’t rising to the level of Disney, it’s just the opposite…Disney’s quality is FALLING to SF’s level…and the BoD, Josh and Chappie think that’s just FINE.

Smiley/OCD

Absolutely understandable, but I can’t ride SM, HM, ToT, etc. on any of their cruise ships. When that happens….

NickMaio

Perha
No, I really don’t care, but I really would like someone to answer the question of why all these people who hate Disney are blathering their hatred over and over again on a Disney fan website. Just go to the freaking Bahamas or something and shut up (not you).
Perhaps Disney means more to some people. ?

Why does this forum always need to be about positives?

There is a big reason why people are posting negative views about WDW.

Forums are for expression and discussion not rose colored, 'everything is awesome' , posts.

Animaniac93-98

Absolutely understandable, but I can’t ride SM, HM, ToT, etc. on any of their cruise ships.

I feel the same way.

The cruise line doesn't (and can't) replicate experiences like Frontierland at DLP or Mysterious Island at TDS.

The cruise line may offer superior service, food and amenities compared to WDW, but it is not a theme park vacation.

That's why Universal and other parks have become the substitute for most of WDW for me.

JoeCamel

I'm curious if you have ever sailed some of the other high end cruise lines perhaps with smaller ships?

LittleBuford

There have been a lot of little things over time that did the parks in for me but I think the final straw was Genie+. The parks and resorts were at one point fun and relaxing for me. While I still love them and enjoy new attractions such as Cosmic Rewind, I find I can't relax and enjoy the moment as much as I once could. You're probably wondering what does that have to do with DCL.

I find that I can relax and have fun on DCL ships, while still being able to enjoy many of the things that we all love about Disney. As a DVC Member, I stay on property a lot and enjoy live entertainment, as well as eating at restaurants like Jiko, Flying Fish, Topolinos, Citricos, Narcoossee's, and Victoria and Alberts. I miss a lot of the live entertainment such as the Grand Florida Society Orchestra, entertainment on the Boardwalk, etc.

DCL also has yummy meals and tasty beverages and also special meals such as Palo and Remy. DCL has wonderful Broadway talent on the ships, with shows such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, etc. There is also a lot of specialty entertainment such as magic shows, comedy, and live music. While you won't find rides, they do have theatres, sports areas, a miniature golf course, pools, water play areas for the kiddos, water slides, and an Aqua Duck tube ride to enjoy, as well as many adult only areas, which kind of provide a stroll back to the Pleasure Island days. In addition to the above, there is a lot of Disney magic sprinkled throughout the ships, including characters, shopping, history, and unique theming. A big thing for me is, I don't feel like Disney is trying to nickel and dime me while I'm on the ship.

I'm surprised I've reached this point but here we are. My family has been having a lot of ongoing discussions about whether or not we will renew our annual passes. We are leaning towards taking a break from the parks and simply using our points to relax at the resorts. We'll probably make some trips over to Aulani with our points as well and come back to the parks in a few years. We love Disney, we are just currently finding DCL to be more relaxing, enjoyable, a better value, and ultimately more magical for us. The parks and resorts hold a special place in my heart but DCL has won me over for now.
Thanks for your detailed answer. I can see how DCL might work as a comparable experience for those who go (or used to go) to WDW primarily to relax, take in the atmosphere, and enjoy the service. For me, however, a WDW holiday is defined above all by the attractions, and without those, it just wouldn’t be the same. I’d still love to try DCL one day, but not as a substitute for the parks.

BuddyThomas

Perha

Perhaps Disney means more to some people. ?

Why does this forum always need to be about positives?

There is a big reason why people are posting negative views about WDW.

Forums are for expression and discussion not rose colored, 'everything is awesome' , posts.
Clearly forums are not about “everything is awesome”, particularly this one. People on this board have a mental breakdown if they find a single lightbulb out somewhere. People on this board have a mental collapse about rides that haven’t been even built and movies that haven’t even been released, particularly ones with LGBTQ characters or characters of color. People on this board at this very moment are having total mental explosions (36 pages and counting) over the color of a freaking road sign. So yeah, I’m very well aware that forums are not “rose colored”, especially this one.

For what it’s worth…. I’m here now and I’m pleasantly surprised - it can still be quite enjoyable if you ignore the cash grabs.

I do over hear LOTS of people complaining about the pricing for genie+ and photos, etc. so it’s definitely being noticed.

But over all I think some of the complaints of the “magic gone” are exaggerated. I don’t see any major differences other than pricing.
The magic starts with you, Disney hasn't changed you have. I use to go when I was younger and went back as an adult and the feeling isnt the same.

Goofyernmost

Clearly forums are not about “everything is awesome”, particularly this one. People on this board have a mental breakdown if they find a single lightbulb out somewhere. People on this board have a mental collapse about rides that haven’t been even built and movies that haven’t even been released, particularly ones with LGBTQ characters or characters of color. People on this board at this very moment are having total mental explosions (36 pages and counting) over the color of a freaking road sign. So yeah, I’m very well aware that forums are not “rose colored”, especially this one.
I'm surprised to hear you doing blanket judgements of the people that have become disenchanted with the difference between what Disney was and what it is now. You know as well as I do that the majority of the complaints here are not about rides that haven't been built or movies unreleased with or without LGBTQ or characters of color. The Blanket condemnation of all of us with the accusation that besides our concern about Disney's management policies, now we are also bigoted and without any basis of justification for our being upset. To indicate that we are wrong in being upset by unnecessary changes of things that we feel are important to us, is pretty narrow minded thinking on your part, don't you think?

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The magic starts with you, Disney hasn't changed you have. I use to go when I was younger and went back as an adult and the feeling isnt the same.
That is true if you went as a child. The wonderful thing about being a child is that the world is brand new. Bright lights and upbeat music are magnified. Everything is big, people, attractions, shows and then we age and our vision pulls slightly away from the bright lights and we notice the problems that existed when we were young but we were to mesmerized to notice them. It is sort of like when you were a kid, the house you grew up in seem huge. Go back to it now and you wonder how did that building shrink up that much.

I never went there until I was 35 so I saw a lot of the stuff the way it actually was. That differs from what we are talking about. I could see the sores but they were minor yet my kids never noticed them. They were too busy soaking up the ambience. The things that upset me are not visual things they are real changes that changed the entire experience and in some cases made actually going there fiscally impossible or unwise. It is the attitude that has changed and tainted the ambience that once really did exist. The complaints about paint chips, occasional breakdowns of rides (like equipment run 365 days a year, 12 hours a day should never breakdown) or purple signs are minor problems that some that have problems with change would take seriously. But the reality is things either change or become boring. The lost magic is more a feeling then a reality and if there are a bunch of things interfering with enjoyment then it is a problem for many.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom