the old feeling is gone.... or at least reduced a lot..

lordsigma

I took a trip in October and had a great time. I guess it’s all about perspective. I loved the newest addition - Cosmic Rewind. Yes there are differences to what it was years ago but it’s far from bad. Every meal I had on Disney property was A+, all super friendly cast members, and while some rides had some downtime (usual suspects like EE) they all managed to get them back up and we got to ride - didn’t miss anything. We just booked our trip for next October without any regrets.

Chi84

Premium Member
To what end, though? If newer guests enjoy the product, whom does it benefit to say to them, “Well, it used to be so much better”?

For what it’s worth, I am not a newer guest and still really enjoy WDW (or at least what I experienced the last time I went, which was in February 2020).
Well-said. There is a difference between telling people that a current experience is bad and that it “isn’t as good as it used to be.”

In the first instance, a person is unlikely to have a good time and may reconsider visiting. I’m not sure what benefit is gained in the second instance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I took a trip in October and had a great time. I guess it’s all about perspective. I loved the newest addition - Cosmic Rewind. Yes there are differences to what it was years ago but it’s far from bad. Every meal I had on Disney property was A+, all super friendly cast members, and while some rides had some downtime (usual suspects like EE) they all managed to get them back up and we got to ride - didn’t miss anything. We just booked our trip for next October without any regrets.
And millions and millions of people think the same. I’m surprised - like I said earlier - at the amount who don’t now. Not just at WDW magic either.

Cmdr_Crimson

And millions and millions of people think the same. I’m surprised - like I said earlier - at the amount who don’t now. Not just at WDW magic either.
They should have kept the Electronic Forum at Epcot..It would have been the C-Span of Disney fans all together to have their say all at once.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That’s totally cool. You do not come off as an endlessly negative complaining person. You come off as a well-reasoned individual who is making the right decisions for you in this moment.
If that's code for "ridiculously jaded due to current and former management", I'll take it. 😂 But thank you. I try to be constructive, both in criticism and praise. I don't hold back my disdain for either Bob, but can say when something is good.

My wife is struggling with whether or not to renew her AP. When I see her struggling with that decision, I know things have gone sideways.

Goofyernmost

I perfectly understand why people want to let others know how WDW used to be better for them and commiserate on how it's changed. I was just asking about your statement that people are obligated to let newer guests know how things used to be or "nothing at all will happen." What do you think will happen if you let people know what WDW used to be - do you think it will make a difference to those planning to go there?

I'm just asking because I know what happens when I try to tell my kids about how certain things used to be better and how much they have changed for the worse. They get the same glazed over look that I used to give my mom when she told me how certain things used to be better and how much they had changed for the worse.
Well, having raised two kids myself I am aware of the fact that their eyes glaze over when the good old days are mentioned. But, we aren't children are we? We are supposed to be adults and we are supposed to weigh information and make our own decisions about things. If we are trying to explain that compared to the past, what you get for your money now compared to then is sadly lacking you can make your own mind up about whether you agree or not. Without history it is impossible to compare then to now.

Again, if one clicks on to a thread with a title that is in and of itself negative, and then for you folks to chastise the people that are telling you why we no longer feel the magic and think the we are just whining, I have to ask what you were doing on the thread to begin with. You must have known what it was going to be like and then to have the nerve to say that we don't have a right to our opinion (which by the way you can accept or reject with no need to tell us) I'm afraid that is out of line. Instead of telling us to not go, or shut up or anything else that is controlling why not explain to us why we should be willing to pay extra for things that were once part of admission when it hasn't enhanced our experience, in fact, has lessoned it. Make your own "Disney is Great thread" and then you can tell us we are out of line for disagreeing with you. You will not learn anything from that, but at least you will be happy.

It is especially offensive when you imply @marni1971 that he doesn't know what he is talking about it is just incredible. Martin has spent a large part of his life recording, documenting and uploading to You Tube (and I'm sure others) everything about Disney Parks that exists. His videos are deeply entrenched in Disney history and I'd venture a guess and say that he has forgotten more about Disney Parks than the rest of us will ever know. That just shows how important paying attention to reality is when making decisions. But, oh no, instead of that lets interpret that knowledge sharing as a bad thing. Maybe someday we will all grow up and be able to tell the difference between pointing out discrepancies and whining.

Last edited:

Big T 1963

The truth of the matter is today's society see's the current state as what Disney tends to offer. It's us older folks like myself that have roamed the earth from the beginning when Disney evolved see what we use to have a now what Bob Big Bucks has changed and taken away. I find it interesting how allot of these sights and streaming services continue to call the current Disney management on many things from the past however others feel today we should take what is given to us and shell out more and more for less and less... Not this ol'timer I am to smart for that trick... Walt must be shaking his head what these people are doing . "To all who come to this happy place: Welcome"

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, having raised two kids myself I am aware of the fact that their eyes glaze over when the good old days are mentioned. But, we aren't children are we? We are supposed to be adults and we are supposed to weigh information and make our own decisions about things. If we are trying to explain that compared to the past, what you get for your money now compared to then is sadly lacking you can make your own mind up about whether you agree or not. Without history it is impossible to compare then to now.

Again, if one clicks on to a thread with a title that is in and of itself negative, and then for you folks chastise the people that are telling you why we no longer feel the magic and think the we are just whining, I have to ask what you were doing on the thread to begin with. You must have known what it was going to be like and then to have the nerve to say that we don't have a right to our opinion (which by the way you can accept or reject with no need to tell us) I'm afraid that is out of line. Instead of telling us to not go, or shut up or anything else that is controlling why not explain to us why we should be willing to pay extra for things that were once part of admission when it hasn't enhanced our experience, in fact, has lessoned it. Make your own "Disney is Great thread" and then you can tell us we are out of line for disagreeing with you. You will not learn anything from that, but at least you will be happy.

It is especially offensive when you imply that @marni1971 that he doesn't know what he is talking about it is just incredible. Martin has spent a large part of his life recording, documenting and uploading to You Tube (and I'm sure others) everything about Disney Parks that exists. His videos are deeply entrenched in Disney history and I'd venture a guess and say that he has forgotten more about Disney Parks than the rest of us will ever know. That just shows how important paying attention to reality is when making decisions. But, oh no, instead of that lets interpret that knowledge sharing as a bad thing. Maybe someday we will all grow up and be able to tell the difference between pointing out discrepancies and whining.
I'm pretty sure I didn't do any of those things, especially implying anything about @marni1971. Did you mean to reply to another poster?

I didn't say people shouldn't give their opinions on why WDW was better for them in the past than it is now. All I did was ask why you said people are obligated to do so or nothing will change at Disney. My own opinion (and no one is required to accept it) is that people of all ages tend to focus more on the current experience in deciding whether to go because there's no bringing back the past. If I do research and find out a place is nowhere near as good as in the past, I would find that interesting but likely irrelevant to whether I personally would have a good time there now.

Of course we're not kids and we all have the right to make decisions for ourselves. My first trip to WDW was in 1984 as an adult, we've gone pretty much every year since, and I actually preferred the parks the way they were in 2019, immediately before COVID. Obviously, this is not true for everyone. It's probably because different people focus on and find value in different things.

Everything changes. Some changes are for the good and others are definitely not. I don't like paying for Genie+/ILL instead of getting free FP+, but other changes such as streamlined security lines, the Skyliner, mobile ordering and the variety of food (compared to other theme parks) are good ones.

People sharing their opinions and knowledge is never a bad thing. Everyone has the right to do so especially on a discussion forum. And others have the right to say what they think about the value and relevance of those opinions and experiences. No need for anyone to be angry or upset.

OneofThree

The WDW experience has declined precipitously since the late 80's/early 90's. While I hate it, I don't blame management. They answer to shareholders in dollars and cents. Once the influence the original management "cast" dwindled, the company would necessarily abandon some of it's original vision. To understand why, consider the way in which Starbucks morphed in the 90's and why. They were built on a commitment to the art and craft of coffee, selling that passion to enthusiasts in a mug. In order to meet growing shareholder expectations, they shifted away from their original model and marketed toward a different consumer entirely (a much larger target market). The quality of their drinks declined, and their menu expanded. Disney World is no different, IMO. Having first gone in the early 80's before becoming a regularly visiting FL resident today, I can tell you that one of the biggest changes is the average guest they market to. I sincerely doubt if the resort would have reached it's current level of success if the quality of their product 30 or 40 years ago was what we "enjoy" today. At this point, it just arithmetic (good accounting, really), which is to find the optimal mix of cost of the experience (and so quality) and number of guests served in order to maximize revenue.

dreday3

I'm not really influenced by how much someone knows, or how much people tell me this person knows, when people are talking about if they think something has lost value or not. I will read their opinion, but I will be the judge of what I like and don't like, what I find value in, what I don't find value in. And I'll make those decisions based on my own experience.

I've been going to the parks since 1979. I have no idea if the parks were better back then because I was a child on those trips.
Then we went again in 2000 for our first trip as a couple in our mid-20s. Had a blast.
2011 with my parents for their Anniversary. Had a blast.
2014 just the two of us. Had a blast.
2017 with siblings. Had less of a blast, but blame the family. :)
2021 (again with siblings because apparently it takes me a bit to learn a lesson) - it was different. I liked Gran Destino but didn't like CSR. A lot of experiences still not back. And oh my god, my siblings....did not have anywhere near a blast. I would say this trip was not good.
2023 - just the two of us again, trying out Flower/Garden - expect to have a blast, but we will see.

As for who can post on what thread- everyone posts on every thread whether their opinion is wanted or not. It's the internet.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Again, if one clicks on to a thread with a title that is in and of itself negative, and then for you folks chastise the people that are telling you why we no longer feel the magic and think the we are just whining, I have to ask what you were doing on the thread to begin with.
Checking to see if there is finally one claim actually worth “the magic is gone.” It’s usually someone waited in line or prices were high, or a CM didn’t sufficiently kiss up to them. Come on.

dreday3

Checking to see if there is finally one claim actually worth “the magic is gone.” It’s usually someone waited in line or prices were high, or a CM didn’t sufficiently kiss up to them. Come on.

I'll say one criticism I think....the charm is kind of less. I'll explain why-for me and me only.

I associate Disney with Snow White, Lady and The Tramp, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, yada yada yada. All this focus on Marvel and Star Wars is really kind of a turn off for me.
That's not to say I won't enjoy the new lands or rides, but the nostalgia/charm factor isn't there for me. In that sense, it's just like Universal.

But...I do like the new movie adds like Rat or even Frozen, but that's because it still feels "Disney" to me. When we first got to ride Rat last year, I almost teared up. The music, the smells, the dark...felt like old Disney!

I do miss the Epcot of my youth, but I can still enjoy it now. I LOVED Horizons. Loved it. But it's gone. I may feel differently when they mess with Spaceship Earth eventually.

For me, the magic is still there, just different. We still enjoy going, until we don't. :)

Jrb1979

If you choose to look at it that way, that’s up to you. It’s not an objective fact.
Sure it's a fact. Animal Kingdom is different but the other 3 are just an extension of Magic Kingdom. Epcot when I was growing up was unique due to having very little IP in it. It felt very different from Magic Kingdom. Now Epcot is a festival center all year round. Maybe you like the IP plastered in all the parks but I would like to see more original attractions like Epcot originally had.

Tony the Tigger

I'll say one criticism I think....the charm is kind of less. I'll explain why-for me and me only.

I associate Disney with Snow White, Lady and The Tramp, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, yada yada yada. All this focus on Marvel and Star Wars is really kind of a turn off for me.
That's not to say I won't enjoy the new lands or rides, but the nostalgia/charm factor isn't there for me. In that sense, it's just like Universal.

But...I do like the new movie adds like Rat or even Frozen, but that's because it still feels "Disney" to me. When we first got to ride Rat last year, I almost teared up. The music, the smells, the dark...felt like old Disney!

I do miss the Epcot of my youth, but I can still enjoy it now. I LOVED Horizons. Loved it. But it's gone. I may feel differently when they mess with Spaceship Earth eventually.

For me, the magic is still there, just different. We still enjoy going, until we don't. :)
Fair enough!

Jrb1979

Agreed. My only thing is I don't like any of the IP in Epcot. I am still of the belief that there should be no IP in Epcot. Instead of Remy, Guardians or Frozen in Epcot I would have loved to have seen them use that money and finish World Showcase like planned.

ceecee101

I'm not sure about what you mean by "out of necessity". I think it means that they have to go a certain times because of kids in school or job obligations. If that is what you meant the only time I went there on a whim was after I retired and my kids were grown and married on their own., Previous to that and all the time we had to plan a trip around school breaks.

Fortunately, in Vermont we had what was called a mid-winter vacation that came at the end of February. It was a perfect time for us because for one thing it got us out of the stationary open air freezer of below zero temperatures but also coincided with town meeting days so it afforded an 11 day window (including two weekends) to make the trip to Florida. We didn't plan anything except the day we were leaving home, the day we were leaving Florida and reserved our hotel for the time we were going to be spending there. That afforded us the time to visit WDW and the ginormous number of other things to see in central to southern Florida.

Right from the very beginning we split up our time between WDW and whatever other attraction venue that tickled our fancy. You can't do that now because you have to decide the days you are desiring to be in a specific park. We could decide that in the morning on the way into the grounds. Of course, in the beginning it was easier because there were only two parks to see until the end of the 80's when Disney/MGM studios opened.

One of my daughters who became a spreadsheet Disney traveler had planned her trips with her family practically down to the second, but with the new system and the massive planning required and if days available are numbered do not have the flexibility to deal with weather, illnesses or other distractions. She has given up and no longer finds it worthwhile and she went there with me a number of times and even she and her husband on their honeymoon. They've lost quite a few very loyal fans/visitors over this stuff.
I was just talking with DH about this, we go Monday for the first time in 13 years and it’s really depressing we can’t just wake up and say Well where do we want,to start today? And then hop wherever whenever.

Goofyernmost

I'm pretty sure I didn't do any of those things, especially implying anything about @marni1971. Did you mean to reply to another poster?

I didn't say people shouldn't give their opinions on why WDW was better for them in the past than it is now. All I did was ask why you said people are obligated to do so or nothing will change at Disney. My own opinion (and no one is required to accept it) is that people of all ages tend to focus more on the current experience in deciding whether to go because there's no bringing back the past. If I do research and find out a place is nowhere near as good as in the past, I would find that interesting but likely irrelevant to whether I personally would have a good time there now.

Of course we're not kids and we all have the right to make decisions for ourselves. My first trip to WDW was in 1984 as an adult, we've gone pretty much every year since, and I actually preferred the parks the way they were in 2019, immediately before COVID. Obviously, this is not true for everyone. It's probably because different people focus on and find value in different things.

Everything changes. Some changes are for the good and others are definitely not. I don't like paying for Genie+/ILL instead of getting free FP+, but other changes such as streamlined security lines, the Skyliner, mobile ordering and the variety of food (compared to other theme parks) are good ones.

People sharing their opinions and knowledge is never a bad thing. Everyone has the right to do so especially on a discussion forum. And others have the right to say what they think about the value and relevance of those opinions and experiences. No need for anyone to be angry or upset.
I used your post as a jumping off point. I just listed a number of thoughts that have been used and stated in this thread. I apologize, I forgot to say that I didn't want to imply that you had said any of this. Sorry about that I tend to get worked up over things easily.

MAGICFLOP

because of covid, we have not been do WDW in years.. we were going to go in October but again the virus threat stopped us.. ( i am 66 and my wife is 67) .. but i have to tell you.. watching Each and every bit of Disney news makes us WANT TO GO LESS.. Right now we should be at ground zero and starting almost daily planning for a march or april trip.. We spent two days in the car , and the trip talk hardly came up.. Disney management has done all it can to destroy the magic.. its GIVE ME ALL OF IT AND MORE.. its lets take more away and charge more.. and tell you We can do this because the parks are full.. and since the parks are full, why should we continue the magic in the parks. We have too many people .. we don't need you.. YOU SEEM TO NEED US.. but i have seen this happen to Sears.. to GM.. to the Mall type of management style.. and every one of those has failed.. Gimbles failed.. Macy's is in trouble. No one is too big , not to fail.. this current Disney management style has deeply hurt my image of the Magic.. my longing for the magic.. my need to go there with almost desperation.. to the point of almost .. I don't care.. they don't need me .. and by the way they are acting. they don't seem to want me.. AM I ALONE? do any of you feel this way.. ( in fact i haven't even been coming to this website with the same attention.,) . Let me know..
I feel the same way, I was an AP holder for 15 years and in 2016, I said that I am done. I could see the direction the company was going.

Out of curiosity, I looked to see what it cost to stay on property with tickets and right in the reservation info they say you need reservations for the parks and that was the responsibility of of the guest. I tell you, nothing would spoil the magic more than spending 3K for 7 nights and find out there was no reservation avail to get in the park. Who would book something like that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom