News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

_caleb

FWIW, I’ve not heard it’s canceled. Possibly postponed like TRON was (and we all know that postponement didn’t last very long). If the Board actually canceled it this week, why release that exclusively to the bad site? They hate him.
Possible at least one person close to the Board doesn't hate him, and maybe "leak" might be a better word than "release?"

Or maybe he's just specu-lying, as usual.

ToTBellHop

Possible at least one person close to the Board doesn't hate him, and maybe "leak" might be a better word than "release?"

Or maybe he's just specu-lying, as usual.
But why would someone on the Board want a bad headline? They all want the company making money. In this case, if the project were canceled, they’d rather have nothing said. Whether or not the headline is true, the story behind its creation doesn’t pass the smell test for me.

_caleb

But why would someone on the Board want a bad headline? They all want the company making money. In this case, if the project were canceled, they’d rather have nothing said.
Oh, I'm just speculating.

But haven't we seen leaks like this happen sometimes in political maneuvering to try to influence things? Leak that a project is cancelled so that Disney has to refute it, further solidifying their commitment to the project. Or the opposite: leak that a cancelled project is still on so that public opinion can apply pressure to stick with it.

Also, on the Board and close to the Board aren't the same thing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also, on the Board and close to the Board aren't the same thing.
Indeed the source of the rumor wrote:

sources in the company now indicate that executives have “officially” canceled the project during a retreat to Walt Disney World.

So the source is "in the company" and according to that "source in the company" it wasn't from or near the board, but from the park execs at their retreat.

Ya know, bus drivers are "in the company" and a "source" of "news."

UNCgolf

FWIW, I’ve not heard it’s canceled. Possibly postponed like TRON was (and we all know that postponement didn’t last very long). If the Board actually canceled it this week, why release that exclusively to the bad site? They hate him.

Also, I doubt the Board would make a decision like that. Might they have decided to pull its FY23 funding and shuttle it elsewhere? Sure. That would delay the project by a year (if it then was added to the FY24 budget). But a cancellation from that group seems unlikely.

This I completely agree with. The suggestion that it was canceled during an executive retreat never made much sense -- if it's actually true that it's canceled, and he actually got that information from somewhere, it's likely he still got his wires crossed somewhere in the reporting (or he just made it up entirely, which obviously isn't out of the question).

No Name

I am flabberghasted that everyone seems to think this is gospel. I'll hold my judgment until literally any reliable source says something.

And lack of refutation from a reliable source doesn't equate a confirmation.
These days most people rightfully don’t even believe an announcement. It’s not hard to see why people would have no issue believing it’s been cancelled when they’ve cancelled so much else.
Because it is terrible looking from the monorail. It is just a really bad look.
I’d argue the blue square looming behind it is 100x worse.

ToTBellHop

I thought work was mostly done anyway? This would be such a tiny thing to cancel at this point.
I presume it would be delayed due to staffing. They honestly need this type of space in the park. That’s why it simply makes more sense to me that they would have delayed the project. No sense in opening such a facility at current staffing levels. I would guess it gets pushed to 2024, but that is entirely a guess.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Could this be made into an indoor theatre similar to what was announced for the Magic Kingdom off of Market Street??

Could it be made into a "theater" space? Sure. Could it be made into a proper theater like they were going to build on Main Street? Not without significant modifications. The shape of the building itself is not ideal acoustically and the building doesn't have the proper space (especially vertically) for the necessary BotH operations of a theater.

make it an outerspace planetarium imax theater with cool solar system universe shows

I like this idea... make that whole section (Guardians, WoL/Play, Space) have an overarching "space" theme. However, while turing the entire inside into a big pla etarium/IMax protection could be cool as a lobby type area, it wouldn't be ideal for a headline for the pavilion. Project things on the roof, sure, but maybe have some displays/interactive exhibits about space in the main area and build a new E ticket attraction as an extension to the current building as the headline attraction of the pavilion.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I presume it would be delayed due to staffing. They honestly need this type of space in the park. That’s why it simply makes more sense to me that they would have delayed the project. No sense in opening such a facility at current staffing levels. I would guess it gets pushed to 2024, but that is entirely a guess.

Isn't this partially what they're doing with the rebuilt Communicore, though?

It's not exactly the same thing, obviously, but I thought they were putting meet and greets into the new building.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Last edited:

JustInTime

I absolutely agree! This space is so needed. Basically a centralized kids area with meet and greets. Current m&g are kinda squeezed everywhere right now. I feel like the budget should be somewhat minimal and would just be surprised to see this canceled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom