New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

eddie104

I actually think the paper-look china is kind of cute. What we've seen of the interior décor in concept art, uh, not so much.
Let me guess you think the Toy plastic look is cheap ?

Mind you I don’t what else people want from this land as far as theming goes. But yet a certain section of fandom seems to have a problem with it.

James Alucobond

Mind you I don’t what else people want from this land as far as theming goes. But yet a certain section of fandom seems to have a problem with it.
I didn't say that at all. I don't mind the look of the land in general even if there are some proportion issues in places. The interior of this restaurant in particular just doesn't look terribly compelling based on the concept art. There are a couple of potentially interesting elements like the Scrabble tile holder bench seats, but most of it looks like it's just supposed to be a scattering of cutout flats and vinyl wall/ceiling decals. It could be that the artwork just looks deceptively bad, but it's typically the reverse, with the artwork looking deceptively good.

eddie104

I didn't say that at all. I don't mind the look of the land in general even if there are some proportion issues in places. The interior of this restaurant in particular just doesn't look terribly compelling based on the concept art. There are a couple of potentially interesting elements like the Scrabble tile holder bench seats, but most of it looks like it's just supposed to be a scattering of cutout flats and vinyl wall/ceiling decals. It could be that the artwork just looks deceptively bad, but it's typically the reverse, with the artwork looking deceptively good.
That’s why I asked what your particular issues are with the design. I just stated a common critique I hear among the fandom that’s all. A lot of what you said especially about cutouts is a typical complaint as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts concerning this project.

ppete1975

i think the barrel of monkees for a cup is cute, and you know they will sell out if its an upcharged drink. you know its coming

10 dollars for a hi c in a barrel of monkees cup you can take home

sells out immediately none in stock for 3 months

Casper Gutman

Even executed well, TSL would look somewhat cheap and plastic - which is why the land is a fundamentally bad idea. It’s like asking, “well, what did you want from Water Treatment Plant Land?”

Also, even given those constraints, TSL is executed poorly.

Casper Gutman

I actually think the paper-look china is kind of cute. What we've seen of the interior décor in concept art, uh, not so much.
But why are the toys eating off paper plates? Who uses tiny toy-sized paper plates? Wouldn’t it make more sense to be eating off, say, dollhouse tea set plates?

All of TSL is essentially based on the philosophy, “It’s vaguely cute unless you think about it for even the briefest of moments.” The willing suspension of disbelief isn’t a boundless license for laziness.

lazyboy97o

But why are the toys eating off paper plates? Who uses tiny toy-sized paper plates? Wouldn’t it make more sense to be eating off, say, dollhouse tea set plates?

All of TSL is essentially based on the philosophy, “It’s vaguely cute unless you think about it for even the briefest of moments.” The willing suspension of disbelief isn’t a boundless license for laziness.
You never had a Dixie Paper Products Play Set?

James Alucobond

I think you have to exempt some things from being to scale because it's simply not possible, especially when we're talking about the merchandise, consumables, and whatnot that inhabit the land. With the scale of things like the ABC blocks, there's nothing small enough in the toy world for you to be eating from. The entire top of a six-seater round table is maybe dime-sized, and even that might be stretching it. The play with the china in this restaurant is obviously to lean more into the "backyard barbecue" aspect of the menu.

_caleb

I think you have to exempt some things from being to scale because it's simply not possible, especially when we're talking about the merchandise, consumables, and whatnot that inhabit the land. With the scale of things like the ABC blocks, there's nothing small enough in the toy world for you to be eating from. The entire top of a six-seater round table is maybe dime-sized, and even that might be stretching it. The play with the china in this restaurant is obviously to lean more into the "backyard barbecue" aspect of the menu.
Not sure if defense of paper-look plates or indictment of entire land

James Alucobond

Not sure if defense of paper-look plates or indictment of entire land
I have previously stated some of my problems with the land elsewhere, but I don't think it's an inherently flawed premise simply because some concessions have to be made in order for real people to practically inhabit and utilize the space.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Of course it’s cute. Works well at a BBQ place such as this too. Way better than the generic plates found in most other areas.

And you can buy some for yourself (or something very similar) from Kirklands for $38.49 for 12 plates!

Personally, I think (since you are supposed to be the size of a toy), plates that look like giant coins or giant checkers pieces would have fit the theme a bit better, but I don't see anything like that commercially available as a standard offering...

No Name

The giant toy concept is fine by me, but I’d like to see more three-dimensional toys rather than painted walls and ceilings. What is this restaurant even supposed to be thematically?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom