DCL Buys Unfinished Mega Cruise Ship - Genting Golden Dream ???

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Original Poster
Rumor mill heating up about this.

@wdwmagic apologies if this has been done already or is in the wrong place.

monothingie

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't think I want to be on a ship with 9000 passengers
It's a theoretical maximum capacity. The layout of the ship and number of cabins was primarily designed for the East Asian cruise market. If it were purchased by Disney, it would certainly be configured for less passengers.

For perspective, this ship is no where near the largest cruise ship in the world.

The Wonder of the Seas from Royal (current largest) is 236,000 GT and has a max passenger capacity of almost 7000, but typically handles around 5700 passengers.

The Golden Dream is only 208,000GT and shorter.

monothingie

Premium Member
Original Poster
And I thought the virtuosa was big when it rocked up here in the summer

Oasis Class is gigantic compared to the Wish.
5BEDFF1E-4DF3-411E-96D4-674FDECE28C7.jpeg

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The layout of the ship and number of cabins was primarily designed for the East Asian cruise market. If it were purchased by Disney, it would certainly be configured for less passengers.
Could still be assigned to the same market and kept super-mega-sized. Might need some changes to things like rotational dining because I think they'd need more dining or atbleast multiple more specialty dining options ($$) and specialty entertainment options. Maybe.

Disone

I was just on the wish, I was on that four night cruise that turned into a six night cruise due to hurricane Ian.

Some of the crew said they had heard rumors that the third Triton class ship would be canceled. Neither one of these articles mentions that, but it makes me wonder if that's the deal. Buy the bigger ship instead of the third Triton? Purely speculation on my part.

aaronml

Isn’t finishing someone else’s ship kind of…. below Disney standards? I imagine a lot of work would be needed to bring it in line with DCL standards. I would expect the 3rd Triton class ship to be canceled if this comes to fruition.

SplashJacket

Isn’t finishing someone else’s ship kind of…. below Disney standards? I imagine a lot of work would be needed to bring it in line with DCL standards. I would expect the 3rd Triton class ship to be canceled if this comes to fruition.
They would primarily be paying for a really cheap superstructure. They’d fill it with their own finishes and layout.

It makes sense why Disney would pull the trigger. There’s not many cruise lines with substantial available capex, but this allows Disney to get a new huge ship on the cheap.

I’d assume the third triton wouldn’t get canceled, bringing the third ship was definitely negotiated as part of the contract with Meyer Werft.

The ship was originally designed for the Asian market, and while they can very thoroughly retrofit, they could use this ship to break into new markets and be fully different. There’s nothing stopping Disney from making a new cruise brand.

Royal Caribbean has countless lines, so there’s nothing stopping Disney from starting “xyz cruise line.” What makes DCL great is the service, I would love to go on another cruise line’s cruise with that same service guaranteed. Perhaps a more adult-targeted audience like how Touchstone originally functioned for Disney.

Very interesting move, but likely a very smart and exciting move.

Last edited:

peter11435

They would primarily be paying for a really cheap superstructure. They’d fill it with their own finishes and layout.

It makes sense why Disney would pull the trigger. There’s not many cruise lines with substantial available capex, but this allows Disney to get a new huge ship on the cheap.

I’d assume the third triton wouldn’t get canceled, bringing the third ship was definitely negotiated as part of the contract with MW, granted, this ship was also being built at MW, so they could’ve renegotiated as part of the purchase.

The ship was originally designed for the Asian market, and while they can very thoroughly retrofit, they could use this ship to break into new markets and be fully different. There’s nothing stopping Disney from making a new cruise brand.

Royal Caribbean has countless lines, so there’s nothing stopping Disney from starting “xyz cruise line.” What makes DCL great is the service, I would love to go on another cruise line’s cruise with that same service guaranteed. Perhaps a more adult-targeted audience like how Touchstone originally functioned for Disney.

Very interesting move, but likely a very smart and exciting move.
This ship was not being built at Meyer Werft

peter11435

It actually was.

Here's a video of it chilling in Meyer Werft

No, It wasn’t.

MV Werften is not Meyer Werft.

That video is the ship at MV Werften. That is not the same as Meyer Werft. It’s an entirely different ship yard on the opposite side of Germany. They are not related

Disone

It actually was.

Here's a video of it chilling in Meyer Werft

MV Werften and Meyer Werft are not the same. I can understand why, perhaps with similar names, you thought they were but they're actually not the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom