DAS with anxiety disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spash007

And they are having no effect elsewhere? The parks have limited capacity and these people have now somehow duplicated themselves- adding their numbers not only to the ride we're waiting for, but now to the crowded walkways, benches, facilities, shops, restaurants, parades, other rides, etc... etc... etc... - literally anything they're doing "elsewhere" adds value to their day while diminishing that of others. This goes beyond reasonable accommodation. Offsets need to be judiciously balanced.

How can one claim waiting (physically) in line to be intolerable while simultaneously placing no value in avoiding it?

Because the waiting in a single spot is the problem being avoided. Clearly you are blessed enough to not be bothered by disabilities

Spash007

Or perhaps he’s got a mobility disability, perhaps only one leg, which Disney gives no special treatment.
Got it. You’re unhappy with the system and think everyone should suffer.

Too bad you countered your own argument earlier, by stating people who can’t be in line shouldn’t go on the ride either.

sedati

Because the waiting in a single spot is the problem being avoided. Clearly you are blessed enough to not be bothered by disabilities
Not that effects my waiting in line. But there are aspects of a trip or everyday life that I have to avoid altogether.

Angel Ariel

I still believe if someone has such bad autism or anxiety that just standing in line for an hour is going to create a massive health issue, then riding a roller coaster or dark ride can't really be a good thing either.
How you feel you are able to pass judgment on what would be a good thing for someone you’ve never met, and of whose condition you have no understanding (as anxiety and autism are both spectrum disorders, meaning there is a wide variety of impact and each case is unique) is utterly beyond me.

Good night, sir.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
troll GIF

Angel Ariel

You would be surprised. As I mentioned earlier i have a friend who works Guest Relations and the amount of people claiming autism/anxiety for DAS is high. Heck the last time I had to stand in line for Guest Relations at Animal Kingdom over 75% of the line wanted the pass.
Do people not think families who do legitimately have these disorders come to Disney specifically because of the known accommodations?

DD has a rare disorder - less than 500 people in the world are diagnosed. Disney Parks are some of the few places we can go where we know she will be fully accommodated and we can fully relax and actually *enjoy* her childhood. With the constant therapies, appts, school meetings and IEPs and everything at home, it can be very difficult to find that enjoyment. We return every year because we have experienced the accommodations and *know* we will have a fantastic experience. We share that with other families who have kids with disabilities. And they go, and they return frequently.

1 in 44 kids is diagnosed with autism these days. 1 in 6 people age 3-17 have a developmental disability (defined by CDC as including autism, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, blindness, and cerebral palsy, among others).

IMO, people’s disbelief at the numbers of people needing accommodations is more rooted in a lack of understanding of just how many families are impacted by disabilities in the first place more so than people lying about it.

sedati

Yes, I believe it's unreasonable. Not only that, it's mean-spirited.
Wait, so we have one group isolated into long and arduous slow marches in the heat while the other is free to roam and the idea that the latter should wait in a similar but more accommodating space is mean-spirited?

Anyway, I realized this was all sounding very familiar and that I’ve had nearly the same argument before:
How many issues would be solved if future queues were designed with a themed quiet space where eligible parties could wait out the allotted time? You would have a Lightning Lane, Standby, Single-Rider, and DAS. All split at entrance, all ending at the same point.
The conclusion then was even if a queue could theoretically account for many of the common issues it somehow remained that the only acceptable accommodation was to remain an exception and be exempt from any tangible queue or hindrance beyond the shackles of a return time. Certainly for some, there will always be a need for extra accommodation. But just as they redesign the newer queues around wheelchairs and scooters, I don’t think it unreasonable with the numbers being thrown around that a further set of changes be made to strike a better balance.

nickys

Premium Member
Wait, so we have one group isolated into long and arduous slow marches in the heat while the other is free to roam and the idea that the latter should wait in a similar but more accommodating space is mean-spirited?
Waiting in a confined space, unable to move around freely, is what causes many people with autism the extreme distress that the DAS is designed to avoid.

Sure, a calming room with sensory toys will help some people with disabilities. It does not follow that it will be “more accommodating” for all.

But clearly several posters here think all people with disabilities are the same. Perhaps you’d all be happier if we went back to the days when they just stayed at home, hidden away, and never went anywhere where they might cross your paths. Or even “looked after” in institutions. 🤬

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
As great as Disney is when it comes to DAS they are far from the only ones who provide this service and honestly in comparison to other parks they probably have the toughest rules when it comes to return times…. Ive used it in my local GA parks and we have walked right on rides via the back entrance or special que, Hershey park the same way. Universal its been about 10 years since ive been and used it but again there was basically walk up from what i recall at worst a return time that was less than 30 minutes. So yes Disney does a great job in helping those who need it but the way they have it setup you can far from commando the park if you are trying to “cheat” the system bc with wait times the way they are. DAS will only get you so far hence why ive purchased Genie on both my trips with this new version. The 2 pre booked rides definitely help no denying that but honestly in the 3 other parks where major rides are excluded it is not making the day astronomically better like some have suggested. To me the biggest “advantage” is if you are eating in the park for a sitdown breakfast/dinner you can book a DAS while you are eating having that long wait line ride waiting for you once you are done… Do people abuse it 100% but to the extent that people think i truly dont think its that bad where it honestly is having a negative impact on anyone else’s vacation.

lazyboy97o

You’re effectively proposing that people in wheelchairs take a really steep ramp and can’t figure out why it’s an issue because it’s not stairs. And yes, doing that would be mean spirited because it’s half hearted and imposes additional burden while claiming to offer accommodation. You’re completely missing out on the actual needs and going down the path of putting people away where they will not “hinder” others.

Yes, the parks are deficient in regard to capacity. That thought is entirely on Disney. It is not in any way the fault of those with disabilities needing accommodation. Disney’s operational decision to create crowding and now monetize it are the problem, don’t scapegoat people who are not part of creating the situation.

sedati

Waiting in a confined space, unable to move around freely, is what causes many people with autism the extreme distress that the DAS is designed to avoid.

Sure, a calming room with sensory toys will help some people with disabilities. It does not follow that it will be “more accommodating” for all.

But clearly several posters here think all people with disabilities are the same. Perhaps you’d all be happier if we went back to the days when they just stayed at home, hidden away, and never went anywhere where they might cross your paths. Or even “looked after” in institutions. 🤬
That's quite a leap you took there at the end. I'm posing a hypothetical and never said it would accommodate all- in fact, all I'm saying is that much as they took a look at how queues could better accomodate those with mobility issues, a second look may now be required. A fully shaded route, access to bathrooms- there's two that seem reasonably possible and would solve the problems many cite.

Again, the numbers posed show that this system if widely understood could be utilized IN GOOD FAITH by a majority of visiting groups. (including my own as I've since discovered). What numbers or percentage do you think the system could handle and at what point is it detrimental to those most in need?

Hawg G

As great as Disney is when it comes to DAS they are far from the only ones who provide this service and honestly in comparison to other parks they probably have the toughest rules when it comes to return times…. Ive used it in my local GA parks and we have walked right on rides via the back entrance or special que, Hershey park the same way. Universal its been about 10 years since ive been and used it but again there was basically walk up from what i recall at worst a return time that was less than 30 minutes. So yes Disney does a great job in helping those who need it but the way they have it setup you can far from commando the park if you are trying to “cheat” the system bc with wait times the way they are. DAS will only get you so far hence why ive purchased Genie on both my trips with this new version. The 2 pre booked rides definitely help no denying that but honestly in the 3 other parks where major rides are excluded it is not making the day astronomically better like some have suggested. To me the biggest “advantage” is if you are eating in the park for a sitdown breakfast/dinner you can book a DAS while you are eating having that long wait line ride waiting for you once you are done… Do people abuse it 100% but to the extent that people think i truly dont think its that bad where it honestly is having a negative impact on anyone else’s vacation.
Here you go gaslighting again. You say you are purchasing G+. DAS IS Genie+. Although, I’m not sure if you can DAS a ride in another park or not. In fact, unless queues are more than 2 hours long, it is better than G+. Add in the two prebooks, and really unless you are going on Christmas or New Years Eve, there is no way G+ is better than DAS. DAS never runs out, it doesn’t give you a return 4 hours in the future, and it can be used on 3 rides that aren’t even in G+, including Rise of the Resistance. You are simply lying.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Here you go gaslighting again. You say you are purchasing G+. DAS IS Genie+. Although, I’m not sure if you can DAS a ride in another park or not. In fact, unless queues are more than 2 hours long, it is better than G+. Add in the two prebooks, and really unless you are going on Christmas or New Years Eve, there is no way G+ is better than DAS. DAS never runs out, it doesn’t give you a return 4 hours in the future, and it can be used on 3 rides that aren’t even in G+, including Rise of the Resistance. You are simply lying.
How am i gaslighting?!? What are you talking about im giving you my experience with it… its been mentioned here numerous times on other chats. Ive clearly stated that the 2 pre booked rides help and ive said it also is great when im eating in parks to have another ride ready to go actually 2 w Genie but on my recent trip in August honestly crowds were lighter and Genie worked amazing to my surprise so i literally was making my passes via Genie more than DAS… in reference to your Rise comment you can purchase that just as i choose to purchase Genie… When i was there in November with wait time that were literally 60-120 minutes long and Genie availability slim it made Das practically useless as ive stated before as well. So not sure how im lying when im literally telling you both my experiences at Disney and other parks…. Ive highlighted how it helps and also talked about how its not some great “advantage” people make it out to be. Lets not forget there are reasonspeople NEED DAS so how to you take that into account? You cant. And illalso stick to my thoughts thathow many people are truly abusing the system?!? To me not nearly enough that is making anyone else’s day exponentially worse and miserable.

Angel Ariel

Our experience was that you could only book das for a park you are in.

And yes, DAS does at times give you a return time hours later. Our ratatouille DAS was at least 3 hours out, when we got it just after entering the park. It’s based on the standby time. So if the standby time is 4 hours, the DAS return time is similar. And you cannot book another DAS until you use the one you have. ILLs are not available to prebook for DAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom