Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The problem isn’t including fantastical elements. It’s that fantasy and magic should be used to frame educational experiences and inspire guests to learn more. Cosmic Rewind is almost an exact inversion of the standard pavilion paradigm. Education is the window dressing presented as factoids in the Galaxarium, and the fun happens when the education relents to allow you to consume more MCU media. The whole premise is basically that it’s a fake pavilion with a ride completely divorced from the philosophy of the park. It shouldn’t be the Wonders of Xandar. It should be the Wonders of the Galaxy presented by Xandar, and the ride itself should awe guests with imagery of the Big Bang rather than chase a giant space alien from the latest Marvel movie.

tl;dr: Fantasy can be the framing device, but education and real-world inspiration should be the point. Here, education is the framing device and fantasy is the point.
giant space alien? you mean Exxon...erm, Eson. I thought that was hilarious when I heard who the villain was and if it's a slight jab at the former pavilion sponsor.

I agree with you, sadly most people seemingly don't care, but I wish they did go this route. Disney CAN do both education and entertainment properly. Will some people who hate learning still complain? yes, but the vast majority can still appreciate it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They looked at the MIB ride and went "yeah....let's just do that. It fits Epcot then, right???" Which is funny because I feel like Mission BO in California was them looking at Transformers: The Ride and thinking they could do that with TOT. Whenever Disney tries to get into Universal's lane, it ends badly. We see it with the new Toontown going after Super Nintendo World, with Galaxy's Edge going after Wizarding World, and with these "ride the movies" style attractions they are coming out with now. They need to go back and look at the original Star Tours and IJA and see what made those work and understand it instead of just copy and pasting elements.

wait, what are we comparing the MIB ride to?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
giant space alien? you mean Exxon...erm, Eson. I thought that was hilarious when I heard who the villain was and if it's a slight jab at the former pavilion sponsor.
Well... Eson is a long time Marvel character, so, it wasn't invented for the ride. But, the connection is indeed funny.

Eson is the Celestial seen destroying a planet with the Power Stone as the Collector explained what the Infinity Stones are in the movie, Guardians otG.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well... Eson is a long time Marvel character, so, it wasn't invented for the ride. But, the connection is indeed funny.

Eson is the Celestial seen destroying a planet with the Power Stone as the Collector explained what the Infinity Stones are in the movie, Guardians otG.

Yeah I know they didn't make it up for the ride, just think it's funny

LSLS

Does it really matter why someone could have an emotional, uplifting experience from an attraction?
I mean, it's an interesting question if it's not done just to be mean about it. Don't know these people, but I'd be curious what about the ride would bring that kind of emotion out. It helps understand what was done so well about the ride. And honestly could give insight into if I'm maybe missing something on the ride (not that I don't think it's great, but it gsve me no emotional response). I mean, people make livings off reactions for that exact reason

RyMickey

I still don't understand why Jen from the Tim Tracker was crying tears of joy after riding this. Can anyone explain ?
As others have said, who are we to judge, but I don’t think it was for the “video hits”. If memory serves, it was somewhat related to the song that was played (maybe “Everybody Wants to Rule the World?”) reminding her of her late mother and the images while on the ride felt “heavenly” to her in some capacity and the connection just made her emotional.

She pretty much explains why she felt emotional in the video and I don’t think there’s any reason to think it was insincere.

Disney Analyst

As others have said, who are we to judge, but I don’t think it was for the “video hits”. If memory serves, it was somewhat related to the song that was played (maybe “Everybody Wants to Rule the World?”) reminding her of her late mother and the images while on the ride felt “heavenly” to her in some capacity and the connection just made her emotional.

She pretty much explains why she felt emotional in the video and I don’t think there’s any reason to think it was insincere.

Exactly. She explained how the song, mixed with the imagery and the feeling of floating throughout the ride gave her an emotional experience thinking of her mom, death, the possibility of what comes after life etc.

DonniePeverley

Appologies ... makes sense.

co10064

Premium Member
Was able to ride twice on our trip and it's our group's new favorite ride on property!

I will be the first to admit that I was never an EPCOT purist, so perhaps my opinion is a bit out of the mainstream for this site, but I believe this attraction is just what EPCOT needed. It is certainly a monumental improvement over the Energy pavilion in my opinion.

The smoothness of the ride is unlike any rollercoaster I've ever experienced, the music is so fun, and the on-ride projections and props are very well done.

I am a huge theme park fan and less of a "Disney" fan. I've watched the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and found them to be pretty decent, but I've never had any real affinity for the franchise. Yes... I will be the first to admit that the story is very difficult to follow once you get on the ride, but I think for this attraction, story takes a back seat to fun. I'd give it 4.5/5 stars and rank it the best attraction in the park.

If Disney would add one more solid E ticket to the front half of the park and maybe 2 more rides (not mere "attractions") to World Showcase, EPCOT could finally take its rightful place as a world class second-gate. (Oh, and please fix Imagination for crying out loud!)

(Please don't come for my neck.) 😅

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Good ride. Wrong damn park. Didn't get motion sick but wouldn't want to do it more than once per day.

It also suffers from Disney's recent penchant for cramming far too much into the queue/pre-show/ride/show. It's information-overload, but I guess that makes guys like THEZach and others feel better about themselves and their obvious lack of understanding of what made Disney theme parks so successful before they started working for WDI. Less can be more.

Andrew25

Has anybody else had people push the doors open after we are “teleported”? This happened to us on Saturday but we held our ground and told the people that there is a preshow to watch.

Yup - it's just as annoying as the people who spiel Haunted Mansion.

They need to, unfortunately, put some stanchions that require a cast member to open them in order for people to then leave. First-time visitors are having their experiences ruined because they get distracted by the stampede.

BraveGirl

I am an Epcot purist (bring back Horizons, World of Motion, The Living Seas, etc) so although I loved GotG, I don't want it in Epcot. But on the skyliner last week, we were talking to park newbies who don't even know the "old Epcot" and even they said - unprompted by me - that they loved the ride but it didn't fit in with the rest of the park.

So it's not just me and other purists who take issue with where this ride is.

Chip Chipperson

I rode it for the first time a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I did end up closing my eyes a couple times because I couldn't find a focal point to keep from feeling queasy, but didn't actually get sick and felt fine as soon as the ride ended. I can see how people might have trouble with the 2 flights of stairs after getting off the ride, though. The ride itself felt very smooth compared to some of the other coasters on property (looking at you, Space Mountain).

I wasn't bothered by its placement in Epcot. I can understand why some people don't think it belongs there, but it was a fun time and I thought the queue did a good job making it feel like it belongs there (as much as possible).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom