Family of 4 but kids don't want to sleep in same bed

plutofan15

Most people that want a themed room experience want Disney stuff not a rustic cabin in the woods you can find that experience all over the place for a fraction of the price and with nicer cabins.

I respectfully disagree. I am not sure what you mean by a “themed” room. A room should reflect the overall design of the resort. The majority of the resorts, with the exception of the value resorts, have subtle design features indicating that it is a Disney hotel. The theme of Ft. Wilderness campground is a settlement in the woods. Cabins, stores and other buildings are made to look like log cabins built in the wilderness. The cabins are designed to reflect that.

thomas998

I respectfully disagree. I am not sure what you mean by a “themed” room. A room should reflect the overall design of the resort. The majority of the resorts, with the exception of the value resorts, have subtle design features indicating that it is a Disney hotel. The theme of Ft. Wilderness campground is a settlement in the woods. Cabins, stores and other buildings are made to look like log cabins built in the wilderness. The cabins are designed to reflect that.
When someone is taking kids to Disney and staying on property they are normally looking for some Disney theme within the place they are staying. I've stayed at most every moderate resort at one time or another and the cabins are the poorest option when it comes to theme. Not saying I don't enjoy them because I prefer them to others simply because they offer more room and less noise than some of the others. But if I was looking for a Disney theme they are the last place I would stay, there are non-Disney hotels nearby that offer more of a Disney them than the cabins.

plutofan15

When someone is taking kids to Disney and staying on property they are normally looking for some Disney theme within the place they are staying. I've stayed at most every moderate resort at one time or another and the cabins are the poorest option when it comes to theme. Not saying I don't enjoy them because I prefer them to others simply because they offer more room and less noise than some of the others. But if I was looking for a Disney theme they are the last place I would stay, there are non-Disney hotels nearby that offer more of a Disney them than the cabins.
To each their own I suppose. I like a hotel/resort that continues its theme throughout the entire property. And the cabins do a rather good job of staying within the Ft Wilderness design. This is one of our kids favorite resorts when they were younger. We get enough of Disney IP in the parks. The resorts are an escape to another place. If I wanted more in your face Disney IP, that is what the value resorts are for. I like the escape to a cabin in the woods or what ever the resort is designed as.

thomas998

To each their own I suppose. I like a hotel/resort that continues its theme throughout the entire property. And the cabins do a rather good job of staying within the Ft Wilderness design. This is one of our kids favorite resorts when they were younger. We get enough of Disney IP in the parks. The resorts are an escape to another place. If I wanted more in your face Disney IP, that is what the value resorts are for. I like the escape to a cabin in the woods or what ever the resort is designed as.
Value's in your face themes is what the younger kids tend to enjoy the most. Though I would certainly go to an offsite hotel that had some Disney theme going on before doing a value resort, the price for the tiny rooms and noise is simply not worth. The times that we did a value it was like staying in a Motel 6. Though the youngest one did enjoy the in your face Disney theme.

plutofan15

Value's in your face themes is what the younger kids tend to enjoy the most. Though I would certainly go to an offsite hotel that had some Disney theme going on before doing a value resort, the price for the tiny rooms and noise is simply not worth. The times that we did a value it was like staying in a Motel 6. Though the youngest one did enjoy the in your face Disney theme.
Once again, that is your opinion that kids enjoy the "in your face" value design the most and that is fine. Not every kid is the same. I can only go on the experiences of my own kids. Their favorite place to stay when they were younger was the cabins because of all of the activities available and the option to step out the door to be able play outside. We liked them because of the separate bedroom where the kids could nap, the living area, the full kitchen, the deck with picnic table and grill and the parking at the cabins. Ft. Wilderness has the most activities of any resort - horseback riding, boat rentals, swimming pools, bike rentals, horse stables, campfires, wagon rides, archery, etc, Their other favorite is the Yacht Club because of the pool. This past August we stayed at Old Key West and they mentioned it was one of their favorite hotels; of course they are teenagers now. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited:

thomas998

Once again, that is your opinion that kids enjoy the "in your face" value design the most and that is fine. Not every kid is the same. I can only go on the experiences of my own kids. Their favorite place to stay when they were younger was the cabins because of all of the activities available and the option to step out the door to be able play outside. We liked them because of the separate bedroom where the kids could nap, the living area, the full kitchen, the deck with picnic table and grill and the parking at the cabins. Ft. Wilderness has the most activities of any resort - horseback riding, boat rentals, swimming pools, bike rentals, horse stables, campfires, wagon rides, archery, etc, Their other favorite is the Yacht Club because of the pool. This past August we stayed at Old Key West and they mentioned it was one of their favorite hotels; of course they are teenagers now. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Everyone has their own preferences. I guessing you are from the city, given your take on Ft. Wilderness. For people that are more rural and have ridden horses, the horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness is really sad. We found out the hard way they appear to be so afraid of lawsuits that you could give your kids a more exciting time having them ride on your back than doing riding at Disney.

Your family enjoys Ft. Wilderness... fair enough. Just don't think it is the end all be all for others. For some of us it is a cheap place for more privacy, but the activities are garbage compared to what real horseback riding or boating is and having to use a bus or hike a mile to get to them is even more annoying.

plutofan15

Everyone has their own preferences. I guessing you are from the city, given your take on Ft. Wilderness. For people that are more rural and have ridden horses, the horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness is really sad. We found out the hard way they appear to be so afraid of lawsuits that you could give your kids a more exciting time having them ride on your back than doing riding at Disney.

Your family enjoys Ft. Wilderness... fair enough. Just don't think it is the end all be all for others. For some of us it is a cheap place for more privacy, but the activities are garbage compared to what real horseback riding or boating is and having to use a bus or hike a mile to get to them is even more annoying.

Wow. I didn’t know you are such a horseback rider and boating expert. The activities are set up so that anyone can participate, not just supposed experts like yourself. To call them sad and garbage is a bad look. We always rent a golf cart to get around the campground which is also a lot of fun. Yes, that is somewhat expensive but we feel it is worth the expense on vacation. As far as your assumption as to where we live, we are in two traffic light town in a rural area where we have regular wildlife visitors. Also, we have family we regularly visit who live on a 100 acre farm with several horses we regularly ride. We enjoyed the horseback riding at Disney for what it was. Expecting anything different is foolish.

awoogala

We have done Swan with a pullout, the AOA nemo suites, and the riverside. two teens, male and female, and everyone wants their own space.
Swan with a pullout was great, but we also adore the pool area there, and the hotel, in general. they just rolled a bed in for us for like $10-20 extra.
Riverside was a squeeze, we don't like the theme, the buses/transportation was a nightmare, that flip down bed was ok for a very petite teen girl, but I doubt a tall or heavier person would be comfy. We won't do that again.
The AOA, though a tiny bit pricey, was perfect. Extra bathroom, kitchenette, teens had enough space, good enough pool/bar, good transportation.
If you are willing to be onsite but not onsite, wyndham has some good suites, and a great pool area as well.
Best bet though, could be renting points for a suite through Davids, getting a one bedroom suite so everyone is comfy.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Ugh so many visits to WDW, here is my dilemma now. Planning a trip for 2023. My tween and younger kid don't like sleeping in the same bed. They want to stay at AoA. How comfy is the sofa beds? Are they like normal sofa beds, floppy and metal bars underneath the thin "mattress"?

Cost is too high for 2 adjoining rooms (think that is stupid with 4 people anyways). Other suggestions? Was looking at Riviera but wife said that is not themed enough for the kiddos. Basically rooms with 2 queen beds are out and doesn't look like there are any bunk bed options anymore.
We stayed in the Lion King suite and all the beds were insanely comfortable. The couch bed was comfortable, the pull down bed was comfortable (and the person sleeping on that was a REALLY picky sleeper) and the regular bed was comfortable. This was in February 2020 right before the world changed.

erstwo

@MrMichaelJames - just got back from our weeklong stay at AofA - there were 6 of us in the room. My husband and I stayed in the bedroom and the 4 girls stayed in the living area. They all said that both beds - sofa and murphy were very comfortable! Plenty of space, never felt crowded.

One thing to note - the thermostat is out in the living area and airflow to the bedroom with the door closed isn't that great. So the living area was a little colder than we would have liked and the bedroom area was a little warmer. I was glad that each of the girls had brought their own blanket so they could keep warm while sleeping. One solution would be to leave the door open at night, but with 3 of my daughter's friends with us, it felt a little awkward to not close the door, so we kept it closed. Might not be an issue for your family. Hope you have a great trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom