Coolest themed restaurants for kids - my plan

Club Cooloholic

My 3rd choice if those 2 don't work out is Coral Reef. The beauty of these newer restaurants opening up (like BoG relieved some pressure on CRT, now Space 220 and soon Toy Story BBQ place) is the older ones that were tough to get before are now more attainable. They seem to realize also the new ones need to be higher capacity (Oga's Cantina notwithstanding). In practicing months ago the free alert sites did work, I tested a few highly sought after places, but it was hit or miss. Sometimes you'd click the link almost instantly and still fail (due to others probably alerting same day and time period). But I'd say at least 1/3 of the clicks resulted in a booking. I am hoping the success transfers now that I'm in the actual booking period. If I get most of my 1st or 2nd choices I'll be content. If not it is what is and will still have a great time. There's worse things than eating in any sit down restaurant in WDW.
My family actually had a really good meal and excellent service at Coral Reef. We have always enjoyed San Angel Inn, but be warned they pack the tables in tight.
Space was a one and done for me. We did the bar, the atmosphere is just OK. The elevator is fun but after you sit in the restaurant for about 5 mins you think "is this it?". I was glad we did the bar because I heard meals can take hours long. I would try walking up and seeing if they have bar seating at some point on your trip, can't hurt, you can shoot up for one drink and see what it's all about.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. Push comes to shove, I'm definitely shying away from Space 220 due to significant cost jump vs other options and I've heard over and over a mixed bag on the atmosphere and food. Friends went, said experience was "kinda" cool and the food was meh at best.

Showed my wife the Story Book dining and she's totally interested. Crossing fingers an alert comes thru for that.

Day 1 was this morning. My only mission was to book Yak and Yeti for lunch (or dinner) at AK. That's it. I logged in at 6 am on the dot and nope! haha nothing but Rain Forest (too chainy) and Tiffins (too expensive). I would rather do one of the several cool QS if we have to but I suspect my alerts will get me Yak and Yeti over the next 2 mos. It's funny Yak and Yeti was avail every day when I was doing my testing a short awhile ago...it was easy to book. Like clockwork its gone when I need it. LOL. I will say anecdotally its feeling like November is going to be busy as the sneak peaks I've taken show thin pickings for avail dining. Earlier this summer lots of good options were still around.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Thanks for the tips. Push comes to shove, I'm definitely shying away from Space 220 due to significant cost jump vs other options and I've heard over and over a mixed bag on the atmosphere and food. Friends went, said experience was "kinda" cool and the food was meh at best.

Showed my wife the Story Book dining and she's totally interested. Crossing fingers an alert comes thru for that.

Day 1 was this morning. My only mission was to book Yak and Yeti for lunch (or dinner) at AK. That's it. I logged in at 6 am on the dot and nope! haha nothing but Rain Forest (too chainy) and Tiffins (too expensive). I would rather do one of the several cool QS if we have to but I suspect my alerts will get me Yak and Yeti over the next 2 mos. It's funny Yak and Yeti was avail every day when I was doing my testing a short awhile ago...it was easy to book. Like clockwork its gone when I need it. LOL. I will say anecdotally its feeling like November is going to be busy as the sneak peaks I've taken show thin pickings for avail dining. Earlier this summer lots of good options were still around.
Yak and Yeti is a Landry's restaurant, same owner as Rainforest and T-Rex. If you get a Landry's Select Club card, you can call them and get a reservation. In fact if you just show up, they will seat you without a reservation and with minimal wait (up to 6 people). The card is a pretty good deal. It was $25 when I bought it (haven't checked it out recently) and then they let you use it to get $25 off your food total.

Maybe someone can chime in if the terms have changed.

Chi84

Premium Member
OP, I just read your updated first post. Definitely get the Landry's Select Club card if you are planning to go to both Yak and Yeti and T-Rex. Links to both of these restaurants are on the Landry's Select main site, and you can call directly to get reservations if you are a club member. You would get a welcome reward that would cover the cost of your membership, which you could then use at the second restaurant. This would guarantee you two of your first choices.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
OP, I just read your updated first post. Definitely get the Landry's Select Club card if you are planning to go to both Yak and Yeti and T-Rex. Links to both of these restaurants are on the Landry's Select main site, and you can call directly to get reservations if you are a club member. You would get a welcome reward that would cover the cost of your membership, which you could then use at the second restaurant. This would guarantee you two of your first choices.

Looking at this now. Does this card re-enable/re-charge you annually or more? That is my only concern. I would use it this one trip and maybe several years down the road, but unlikely to use again and don't want to keep getting hit with a $50 charge

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Looking at this now. Does this card re-enable/re-charge you annually or more? That is my only concern. I would use it this one trip and maybe several years down the road, but unlikely to use again and don't want to keep getting hit with a $50 charge
There is no annual fee and you get $25 every year during your birthday month. We've been members for ages and love it. And yes, we have walked up to Yak & Yeti (our favorite TS at AK) without a reservation, flashed the card to the greeters (remember that they are NOT Disney CMs), and were seated before a lot of people that has reservations. Good luck!

Chi84

Premium Member
That’s not a concern at all. If you’re going to Yak and Yeti and T-Rex this card will guarantee you entry into both and not cost you anything. It’s only $25 and you get a $25 welcome reward you can use at T-Rex. It’s basically free. There’s no downside.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
So far I've already leveraged my dining alerts (mousedining) for day 1 and 2. I'm updating my OP as I book.

Got a late lunch at both Yak n Yeti and 50s prime time. Still hunting for better times or sci fi on day 2. The alerts are like fishing. Kind of exciting when they go off and I act quickly.

Surprised both days so far my 1st and 2nd choices are not even really an option (I did get a way too early 10:50am lunch at 50s which I booked as a place holder then horse traded out for a better time once my alert went off).

danyoung56

So you’re the one!
While I appreciate the humor, I really can't understand all the food complaints for the Coral Reef. I've only had one so-so meal there - a lobster pasta that tasted like it was right out of the microwave. And even that wasn't bad - just wasn't as good as I was used to. You can't go wrong with the mahi mahi or the steak!

Thepuma

Space 220? Wow...you've got money lol

Long term i see Space 220 being quiet...its a crazy system where you have to pay a massive amount regardless what you eat. My wife only has a small meal when we go out, but at Space220 it's all or nothing. You cant go there just to drink, just to eat light etc.

This has stopped us going and I'm sure over time many others will be the same, especially with many tightening the purse strings as we head into a huge recession.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Yeah I can't go overboard on every meal. It's already costing an arm and a leg just to go on this trip let alone eat. Space 220 is on the chopping block in favor of San Angel Inn. Edit just booked San Angel for early dinner.

For splurge restaurants it will be BoG or CRT and hoping to land Story Book dining.

Last edited:

Prince-1

While I appreciate the humor, I really can't understand all the food complaints for the Coral Reef. I've only had one so-so meal there - a lobster pasta that tasted like it was right out of the microwave. And even that wasn't bad - just wasn't as good as I was used to. You can't go wrong with the mahi mahi or the steak!

I ate there twice and both times were really bad. Overcooked fish, cold appetizers, poor service, etc. I would say that you may be the outlier as many more people think this place is just bad.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Just landed my top choice via a text alert.

Sci-Fi drive in at HS. Yes!!!! Mousedining alerts now helped me get all my reservations thus far that I'm keeping. With 55 plus days to go I have confidence I'll get virtually anything I want with these alerts.

The other day I had scored and booked 50s prime time as my 2nd choice via alert. I know some said that was their favorite but the antics and menu were not my top. I've heard mixed things about the sci fi food but the atmosphere looks killer. Plus is it that hard to make a burger and shake?

Last edited:

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Thank you to those who recommended the Landry's Club select membership. I paid the $25 1 time sign up fee, but you actually get $30 reward posted to your account. I was able to call just now and book T-Rex at pretty much the exact day and time I wanted for my family of 5. Yes!! (Near Disney they also own or are affiliated with Yak & Yeti and Rainforest Cafe). Thank you guys for the great tip. Well worth a few minutes time...

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Just got Chef Mickey's for character breakfast on our off day. So excited. Deciding whether to even bother trying for 'Ohanna or not. I feel like my kids would like chef mickeys better and my wife and I might prefer 'Ohana for being quieter and the Hawaiian vibe. 'Ohana is also somehow cheaper. Food looks plentiful and yummy at both.

Obviously I want my kids to have the most fun so leaning sticking with chef mickeys.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Just got Chef Mickey's for character breakfast on our off day. So excited. Deciding whether to even bother trying for 'Ohanna or not. I feel like my kids would like chef mickeys better and my wife and I might prefer 'ohanna for being quieter and the Hawaiian vibe. 'Ohanna is also somehow cheaper. Food looks plentiful and yummy at both.

Obviously I want my kids to have the most fun so leaning sticking with chef mickeys.
‘Ohana is currently cheaper because characters don’t return until Sept. 27. Expect a price hike to align with Chef Mickey’s.

And speaking from experience, ‘Ohana is not any quieter than Chef Mickey’s. But it does have the Hawaiian vibe. 🏝

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
‘Ohana is currently cheaper because characters don’t return until Sept. 27. Expect a price hike to align with Chef Mickey’s.

And speaking from experience, ‘Ohana is not any quieter than Chef Mickey’s. But it does have the Hawaiian vibe. 🏝

Ah, that does make sense then. I think my heart has become set on sticking with Chef Mickey's. The kids are 6, 7, and 9 and will enjoy the vibrant colors at Chef Mickey's, the monorail rolling through and the huge atrium. I know the food can be hit or miss (like pretty much every ADR)....But it looks really good, especially the cheesey potato and the banana french toast. The price IS high but it seems like a memorable experience and its an off day with nothing else scheduled.

I'm close to deleting my 'Ohana alerts and just sticking with Chef Mickey's. Good problem to have!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom