News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Brer Panther

Putting Moana in Animal Kingdom is like putting Aladdin in Animal Kingdom because, hey, there are animals as supporting characters in that movie too, right? You can point to Te Fiti all you want, but even then I don't think of Moana and Maui when I think of Animal Kingdom. I don't like the idea of Zootopia replacing Dinosaur either, but I at least get the mindset behind it because, hey, animals. Moana is first and foremost about human beings.

WALL-E talks about how important it is to take care of our planet. Does THAT belong in Animal Kingdom?

If they're really that obsessed with putting Moana in two parks, stick an attraction based on the film in Adventureland. It'd work fine there, and surely you have the room.

Phicinfan

Putting Moana in Animal Kingdom is like putting Aladdin in Animal Kingdom because, hey, there are animals as supporting characters in that movie too, right? You can point to Te Fiti all you want, but even then I don't think of Moana and Maui when I think of Animal Kingdom. I don't like the idea of Zootopia replacing Dinosaur either, but I at least get the mindset behind it because, hey, animals. Moana is first and foremost about human beings.
okay hold on, I must be missing something.
You can't put Moana in, even though the whole theme is the importance of environment, which is AK's theme. But... Zootopia fits cause it has animated animals? I honestly don't get this distinction.
WALL-E talks about how important it is to take care of our planet. Does THAT belong in Animal Kingdom?
Yes, it could, if they had a futuristic area of AK, at least as much as land that didn't get built that would have had dragons
If they're really that obsessed with putting Moana in two parks, stick an attraction based on the film in Adventureland. It'd work fine there, and surely you have the room.
Don't disagree Moana in Adventure land would work. But that isn't the plan.

LSLS

The problem is thinking of it as a Moana land. My hope is they make it an Ocean/Pacific Islands land, and then there is 1-2 attractions with Moana theming. I think that pretty easily fits in.

DCLcruiser

Moana allows them to go to Oceania. Nemo would as well, so they could tie in the two lands.

DisneyDodo

My thoughts on this project:

First, for some background on me — I am not against IP in the parks. When it comes to thematic integrity, I certainly prefer it be maintained, all else equal, but I’m open to allowing a theme to be stretched if it will allow for more/better attractions.

Despite all that, I’m not a big fan of this proposal, for several reasons:
— DAK needs more rides. Ideally that would mean replacing PW and then building new rides elsewhere, rather than replacing existing rides.
— DAK especially needs rides with no height requirement for little kids. The headliner attraction for neither Moana nor Zootopia would fit that need.
— I like Dinosaur, but would be fine seeing it go as part of a retheme to the entire Dinoland USA. However, if they’re already retheming just Dinorama to Moana, and sectioning the rest of Dinoland off into its own land, why not just keep/refurbish Dinosaur, and either put Zootopia elsewhere or spend that money on something else?
— The justification for Moana in DAK is exactly the same as its justification in Epcot. If DAK is just “nature park” why do we need a neighborhood dedicated to nature at Ep? The problem for me is not the same IP used in multiple places, but multiple areas serving the same function.
— The justifications for Zootopia and Moana are contradictory. Zootopia = “DAK is about animals, even if in an artificial setting/with human characteristics.” Moana = “DAK is really about nature, not just animals.” Either IP on its own could make sense to me. Both (and right next to each other) would be a bit of a strange choice.
— I don’t like when parks get too choppy (i.e. every attraction gets its own mini land.) I prefer they build more expansive lands (e.g. themed to a continent) and then use multiple IPs within it. Otherwise, the “land” concept becomes basically meaningless.

Disone

Except that Walt Disney Imagineering spends tens of millions on these little rides that routinely cost in the low millions.
You're not wrong. Disney will spend an exorbitant amount of money taking a regular spinner or roller coaster like primeval whirl and dressing it up. But that is still nowhere near the same level of budget for something like expedition Everest, flight a passage and Mickey's runaway railway. The issue isn't lack of creativity, the issue is lack of funding.

And yes you're not wrong that WDI finds new ways to make things exorbitantly expensive. There's probably some opportunity to fix that as well.

lazyboy97o

You're not wrong. Disney will spend an exorbitant amount of money taking a regular spinner or roller coaster like primeval whirl and dressing it up. But that is still nowhere near the same level of budget for something like expedition Everest, flight a passage and Mickey's runaway railway. The issue isn't lack of creativity, the issue is lack of funding.

And yes you're not wrong that WDI finds new ways to make things exorbitantly expensive. There's probably some opportunity to fix that as well.
Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest, even when adjusting for inflation. They have plenty of funding.

BrianLo

I get the feeling the Moana spinner is not a reskin. The concept art is huge and looks to come off the ground, like Astro-Orbiter.

I think this is why Chris had to preface this concept art so hard. Because it out of scale exaggerates the spinner to push off and hide whatever they are doing to the boneyard. Apparently Josh liked this art the most, even though it’s not to scale.

erasure fan1

Gain of zero rides, really, if you start from Primeval Whirl existing
That's what Disney does best. You can look at everything they have done, and tron will be the first net gain in decades.
I see no evidence that Zootopia resonates with American audiences. My school-age kids are 8 and 5 and their friends backpacks and lunchboxes are Encanto, Coco, Moana, and Frozen. Not Zootopia. Not Big Hero 6 or even Wreck-It Ralph.
Careful, you are not allowed to gage popularity on these boards with backpacks, lunchboxes and Halloween costumes and things like that. Or so I've been told. I've been scolded many times for that.

scottb411

On the Oceania comments prior, this is what this section of the park could look like at Animal Kingdom using the Polynesian Cultural Center as an example. This tourist attraction is about an hours drive from Aulani and is considered Hawaii's Epcot attraction not owned by Disney:

It has a night time show as well:

They could do a night show like this at the lagoon and it would be popular. This could then lead to Australia being built on the open property next to Africa. Hawaii was used for inspiration for Finding Nemo that has ties to Hawaii and Australia.

erasure fan1

How about we just put in Beastly Kingdom like was planned about 25 years ago and be done with this talk of this or that doesn’t fit. Beastly fits.
If they put in beastly kingdom, what will they tease people with in 10 or 15yrs. They need to have these fan favorite concepts at the ready so when they have nothing to tell the fans, they can bust it out like Bald mountain at this D23. It's a perfect strategy. Everyone cheers, they get some good headlines, and then they can just be quiet about it until they need the next distraction.

Disone

Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest, even when adjusting for inflation. They have plenty of funding.
Confused..... Pixar pier demonstrates that WDI is creatively bankrupt? They have all the right funding they need but clearly they don't know how to create anything good anymore?

I'll be the first to agree that Pixar Pier was not needed and I'm not sure why it was done. They should have left it as paradise Pier 2.0. Having said that, I don't know that that demonstrates that WDI is creatively bankrupt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom