Does DCL ever change routes? Travel Warning issued for Mexico.

Vegas Disney Fan

Original Poster
We have a DCL Christmas Cruise to Ensenada in December and the State Department just issued a travel warning against traveling to Baja because of cartel violence… this got me wondering what DCL does in these cases?

Do they do the original itinerary, change destinations, change to a day at sea, cancel the whole trip?

We have a few months until our trip so there’s plenty of time for things to calm down, it has me curious though. We were thinking of doing the blowhole excursion but may just stay near (or on) the ship now.

ChuckElias

I can't recall an itinerary change due to potential cartel violence. Most of the time, violence of this type isn't present in the tourism district. Cancun is a good example. There's definitely drug-related violence there, but it's almost always away from the hotel district. If you stay in the tourism district, or take excursions with recognized vendors, the risk is usually minimal.

Maelstrom Troll

I can't recall an itinerary change due to potential cartel violence. Most of the time, violence of this type isn't present in the tourism district. Cancun is a good example. There's definitely drug-related violence there, but it's almost always away from the hotel district. If you stay in the tourism district, or take excursions with recognized vendors, the risk is usually minimal.
What Chuck said ^*

Case in point, there have been US travel advisories to Nassau for years…

MaryJaneP

When on Med cruise, first stop was supposed to be Tunisia. At that time, that country was undergoing a revolution. Last minute shuffle to change order of ports to make Malta first and Palermo (not originally scheduled) to take spot of second port with Tunis being completely dropped. Same cruise, last port was supposed to be France but waves changed it last minute to Majorca. Both changes were mostly welcome by many of the guests. Made getting update "Navigators" (next day newsletter) crucial. It seems likely that DCL has a plan B port waiting in the wings for just such unexpected upset applecarts.

disneyfireman

I seriously doubt it. I goto Mexico somewhat often. Never had an issue. Love it there. I don’t pay much attention to the news concerning dangers there. It’s always blown out of proportion. It’s kinda common sense how to avoid trouble. Anywhere

Lilofan

What Chuck said ^*

Case in point, there have been US travel advisories to Nassau for years…
The different part of Nassau is over the hill past tourist friendly duty free Bay Street. I’ve actually hopped on a public bus and visited the other part of the island where the locals lived. It was extremely poor shacks and run down surroundings. I actually stopped at a road side food stand and had the best conch sandwich in my life. The fishermen were coming back with their rickety boat diving for conch and giving their fresh catch to the cook to prepare the conch for me and others for lunch.

MoonRakerSCM

Any idea if we will have a pirate night?

I need to know whether to pick a pirate outfit or not.
I'm not sure. I've heard yes, and I've heard no. I thought I saw something about yes for the 4 night cruises to Mexico but not the 3 night cruises. I'll try to chime back if I hear with certainty.

SplashJacket

We have a DCL Christmas Cruise to Ensenada in December and the State Department just issued a travel warning against traveling to Baja because of cartel violence… this got me wondering what DCL does in these cases?

Do they do the original itinerary, change destinations, change to a day at sea, cancel the whole trip?

We have a few months until our trip so there’s plenty of time for things to calm down, it has me curious though. We were thinking of doing the blowhole excursion but may just stay near (or on) the ship now.

I was supposed to be on the 11-night Nothern European magic cruise with two days and a night in St. Peterburg Russia this past July/August.

I believe all but one port changed.

216bruce

When on Med cruise, first stop was supposed to be Tunisia. At that time, that country was undergoing a revolution. Last minute shuffle to change order of ports to make Malta first and Palermo (not originally scheduled) to take spot of second port with Tunis being completely dropped. Same cruise, last port was supposed to be France but waves changed it last minute to Majorca. Both changes were mostly welcome by many of the guests. Made getting update "Navigators" (next day newsletter) crucial. It seems likely that DCL has a plan B port waiting in the wings for just such unexpected upset applecarts.
We were on that cruise. Years ago, but we still talk about it. And how great Malta was.

wannabeBelle

Ports are changed on all of the cruise lines as needed for a variety of reasons, including dangerous conditions related to all sorts of things like weather, passenger illness, inability to dock for whatever reason, etc. Dont be concerned. Disney will be monitoring the situation for you as your trip approaches. Just be prepared to be flexible. They wont change ports just because they feel like it, but if the conditions are bad for any reason, that might happen. They will be doing the changes in the safety of the passengers and the ship. They will advise you in advance if they can, but it may be a last minute decision. Marie

ChuckElias

Ports are changed on all of the cruise lines as needed for a variety of reasons,

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I think NCL cancelled a stop in the Middle East when the port customs/immigration authority told them that Israelis would not be allowed to disembark in the port. This was several years ago now, but I think the ship skipped the port of call because of it.

wannabeBelle

Carnival and Royal Caribbean recently cancelled cruised stops in Ensenada, Mexico due to violence with drug cartels in the area. This happened around Mid August of this year. Also I know that some cruise ships had to change port stops in Alaska due to a rock slide that was affecting the dock area in Skagway, Alaska. I heard some substituted ports, others docked further out and were able to get tender boats to bring people in to the area safely. These are just some recent examples of situations that can affect your port stops. It does happen. Not frequently, but the cruise ships are going to operate in the best interest of safety of the ship and the passengers. I hope this information is helpful!! Marie

Phroobar

Carnival and Royal Caribbean recently cancelled cruised stops in Ensenada, Mexico due to violence with drug cartels in the area. This happened around Mid August of this year. Also I know that some cruise ships had to change port stops in Alaska due to a rock slide that was affecting the dock area in Skagway, Alaska. I heard some substituted ports, others docked further out and were able to get tender boats to bring people in to the area safely. These are just some recent examples of situations that can affect your port stops. It does happen. Not frequently, but the cruise ships are going to operate in the best interest of safety of the ship and the passengers. I hope this information is helpful!! Marie
Does that mean they still cruise to Ensenada but there are no shore excursions? I wonder what the situation is for next month. How long do these warnings last?

wannabeBelle

Does that mean they still cruise to Ensenada but there are no shore excursions? I wonder what the situation is for next month. How long do these warnings last?
If they cant dock at all due to a situation like that, I wouldnt think they will just go to the port, with no possibility to get off the ship. Certainly do contact DCL for their policy on this. I think it would be more likely that they will skip the stop and either substitute a sea day or another destination. Do be careful about booking any shore excursions for this port stop specifically that are independent and not booked through the ship. If the ship does not stop at this location any shore excusions done through the ship will be refunded automatically. If you book something on your own, you have to cancel that and get your money back, which might be a little more difficult, especially if the phone service isn't great.
As far as a time frame, that is not easy to predict. They will be skipping the stop as long as it is still a problem. Again I would contact DCL to see what the situation has been recently, just to get a feel for what they are doing at the moment.
I hope this information is helpful!! Marie

Phroobar

If they cant dock at all due to a situation like that, I wouldnt think they will just go to the port, with no possibility to get off the ship. Certainly do contact DCL for their policy on this. I think it would be more likely that they will skip the stop and either substitute a sea day or another destination. Do be careful about booking any shore excursions for this port stop specifically that are independent and not booked through the ship. If the ship does not stop at this location any shore excusions done through the ship will be refunded automatically. If you book something on your own, you have to cancel that and get your money back, which might be a little more difficult, especially if the phone service isn't great.
As far as a time frame, that is not easy to predict. They will be skipping the stop as long as it is still a problem. Again I would contact DCL to see what the situation has been recently, just to get a feel for what they are doing at the moment.
I hope this information is helpful!! Marie
Definitely helps. Thank you!

Vegas Disney Fan

Original Poster
We aren’t booking any excursions just in case, our plan if we dock is to just stay close to the ship, maybe walk the little tourist area right next to the port to get some souvenirs.

I’ve never been to Mexico so worst case scenario I’d like to at least step foot on the dock to get credit for visiting another country.

DisAl

Was the Wish able to dock at Port Canaveral 9/30 or was the port closed because of hurricane Ian? The Port Canaveral webcam is off line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom