Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

mysto

I was thinking we need a short colloquial name for the area now that it's being dis-incorporated.

The Hood
Neighborhoodland or World
The Land Formerly Known as Futureworld. (nah, too long)
Scaffold View Entry Plaza
Everything but World Showcase
EPCOT North

doctornick

We shall see, but a picture of the water cycle that may or may not appear in the final product doesn’t make that the focus of the atttaction. Animal Kingdom isn’t a thematically strong park because there’s a sign that says “save the planet!”

You know there is text there as well, not just the picture....

Our team created many original pieces that focus on the dynamic movement of water as it travels around the experience. Graphics like these will guide guests through the cycle of water in fun and engaging ways to tell our story of the vital link we share with water across our planet, and inspire the important role we all share in preserving this life-giving and life-sustaining precious resource.

Now, I cannot speak for the execution of this attraction or how good it ultimately will be at achieving it goals. But Disney has come right out and said that the walk through will be about the water cycle. I'm not sure why there would be any reason to doubt that this is the concept.

No Name

You know there is text there as well, not just the picture....

Now, I cannot speak for the execution of this attraction or how good it ultimately will be at achieving it goals. But Disney has come right out and said that the walk through will be about the water cycle. I'm not sure why there would be any reason to doubt that this is the concept.
Their game plan for the last 10+ years has been stretching things in order to appease the fans. Peter Quill visited Epcot as kid. MMRR is the company’s first original attraction in years. The floor of Connections celebrates the symmetry of the park that Journey of Water replaces. The know D23 or Zach’s audience and they play to it. I hope for the best but I think the doubt is well founded.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New DPB post with additional Journey of Water details from Lead Concept Designer, Imagineer Reid Eckman -

Imagineer working on Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana attraction at EPCOT

Designed for all ages, Journey of Water will allow guests to explore and engage with water as it travels from our skies to our oceans and back again. Walt Disney Imagineering partnered with artists and cultural consultants from Walt Disney Animation Studios to bring this experience to life, and our team tasked themselves with capturing the beauty of the natural water cycle within the attraction. We were also inspired by Moana’s fierce determination to protect her environment – her bond with water is unique, and we are excited for guests to learn about the importance of water and experience its playful personality just as she did.

Fans of Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Moana” will be delighted to see familiar shapes and characters carved into the rocks and waterways throughout Journey of Water. A great example of this is Moana herself, who will be positioned proudly – celebrating water’s arrival to our ocean.

Principal Dimensional Designer, Jim Towler, sculpting the foam maquette of Moana for Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana attraction

As part of our design process, Imagineers create models, mock-ups, and maquettes to bring our beloved characters and stories into the parks in sometimes unexpected ways. Above is a behind-the-scenes look for World Princess Week of Principal Dimensional Designer, Jim Towler, sculpting the foam maquette of Moana for this attraction.

This gives you a glimpse into the earliest stages of our design process, before paint and additional details have been added. Once the pose of the character is defined, sculptors add detail and texture until the emotional expression of the carving is just right. We then do a paint study and often create full-scale samples to test final materials and carving techniques. This process ensures the production and creative vision for the experience align.

Below is another making-of example, showing a sample from the mountain-like forms that will soon mark the entrance to the attraction. Fans will recognize Moana’s iconic spiral, which we portrayed in one of the first concept renderings for Journey of Water.

Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana attraction at EPCOT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom