News Walt Disney World's Character meet locations to reopen along with more shows and entertainment

tcool123

Ariel was apparently a “visiting Princess” in Fairytale Hall today, paired with Cinderella.

I wonder if this was just a staffing issue today, or are they training/ staffing up some friends of Ariel to get ready to reopen the grotto?
Perhaps they've begun to phase out Elena of Avalor? I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case given the show ended a couple years back, and based on past tv character meet and greets they don't tend to stay in the parks for much longer after the series is off the air.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Perhaps they've begun to phase out Elena of Avalor? I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case given the show ended a couple years back, and based on past tv character meet and greets they don't tend to stay in the parks for much longer after the series is off the air.
Interesting thought, though why would they have Ariel greet in the Hall when she has her own location already (and Ariel with a fin always seems more popular than Princess Ariel)?

tcool123

Interesting thought, though why would they have Ariel greet in the Hall when she has her own location already (and Ariel with a fin always seems more popular than Princess Ariel)?
Could be the effects of the labor shortage making it easier to have Ariel in the more generic Hall which is already staffed with character handlers, PhotoPass, and cast members versus having to get all that staff to reopen the Grotto. I also think Ariel remains as one of the few princesses who doesn't have her meet and greet location back alongside with just Pocahontas; given Ariel's popularity makes sense to throw her in somewhere easily in the meantime.

With all that said wouldn't be surprised to see the Grotto and (further off) Enchanted Tales reopen after the cultural representatives return as I know of a few of my friends are all being moved to New Fantasyland. Not a rumor I've heard of anything, just my line of logic.

WorldExplorer

Ariel's been popping in to visit at least since the meet and greets returned to normal. I caught her there like a week afterwards and apparently she'd been out a second time somewhere around that time, too.

I doubt it's Grotto training unless she starts being a regular sighting visiting there.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ariel was apparently a “visiting Princess” in Fairytale Hall today, paired with Cinderella.

I wonder if this was just a staffing issue today, or are they training/ staffing up some friends of Ariel to get ready to reopen the grotto?
May they stored her fish tail in a tent during COVID.

mm52200

Nothing unusual these days. Having a hard time keeping the princesses that are supposed to be in the hall staffed. So not uncommon for them to pull and have a visiting princess just to have someone in the room.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Don't know about M&Gs, but Elena is still showcased in the parades.

tcool123

Speaking of unusual characters being in places that wouldn't be expected, Shang from Mulan was out for meet and greets yesterday with Mulan in the Chinese Pavilion! Surprising to see him out of the blue, while most training typically occurs either at International Gateway or the American Adventure, perhaps Shang was sent over to China due to Mulan? Either way great to see a rarer character out and about!

1659543668806.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Speaking of unusual characters being in places that wouldn't be expected, Shang from Mulan was out for meet and greets yesterday with Mulan in the Chinese Pavilion! Surprising to see him out of the blue, while most training typically occurs either at International Gateway or the American Adventure, perhaps Shang was sent over to China due to Mulan? Either way great to see a rarer character out and about!

View attachment 657628
A few months ago, there was a help wanted for Shang and Disney princes staff.

Animaniac93-98

View attachment 657628

They should do this more often. How hard would it be to have rarer characters like this show up once a week?

Long before COVID, WDW's character line up was whittled down to just "Mickey and Friends", "Pooh and Friends" and "Princesses". They sacrificed variety to make the big three more accessible, but it's less interesting for repeat visitors.

Rare characters, like specialty food, are much more attention getting now on social media IMO and we know Disney's obsession with that.

tcool123

Elena of Avalor is no longer needed since Encanto came out to fill in the diversity quota.
Will say this if we can have nine white princesses (including Anna and Elsa) we can afford two latina characters ;)

But also that line of logic only works if Mirabel was a meet and greet character at Walt Disney World, but she's relegated to only the cavalcade. At least Disneyland has Mirabel meeting in both parks 😅

RememberWhen

Will say this if we can have nine white princesses (including Anna and Elsa) we can afford two latina characters ;)

But also that line of logic only works if Mirabel was a meet and greet character at Walt Disney World, but she's relegated to only the cavalcade. At least Disneyland has Mirabel meeting in both parks 😅
My daughter (5yo) was beside herself when we got to meet Elena at MK a few weeks ago. Literally jumping up and down squealing. Elena was awesome and spent time talking to her. It was lovely, and we’ll be sad if she fades away. I’d love to see them add Mirabel though too.
82BA4DD5-1D8D-4B83-851C-975ADB3F5D83.jpeg

Piebald

They should do this more often. How hard would it be to have rarer characters like this show up once a week?

Long before COVID, WDW's character line up was whittled down to just "Mickey and Friends", "Pooh and Friends" and "Princesses". They sacrificed variety to make the big three more accessible, but it's less interesting for repeat visitors.

Rare characters, like specialty food, are much more attention getting now on social media IMO and we know Disney's obsession with that.
I mean they can only do this randomly otherwise the crazies show up en masse. I remember the free villains event that was the most chaotic I've ever seen the parks and Ive been to the parks on every major holiday.

wdrive

I entirely agree but I’m pretty certain Shang was out just for training.

WorldExplorer

Magic Kingdom has a new map; I didn't take a picture, but it now includes a Coming Soon label for Pete's Silly Sideshow, and Pluto has taken Minnie's place in that lineup.

I wonder if they'll make a completely new gimmick for him or try and figure out a way to reuse Minnie's poodle props. And if they might shuffle things to put the ducks and dogs together now that the "two girls, two guys" split is gone.

mm52200

Magic Kingdom has a new map; I didn't take a picture, but it now includes a Coming Soon label for Pete's Silly Sideshow, and Pluto has taken Minnie's place in that lineup.

I wonder if they'll make a completely new gimmick for him or try and figure out a way to reuse Minnie's poodle props. And if they might shuffle things to put the ducks and dogs together now that the "two girls, two guys" split is gone.
They’ll do what they did the last time Minnie met at TST during Mickeys 90th Birthday. Pluto will meet Minnie’s spot and they’ll slightly redress the backdrop for him.

WorldExplorer

They’ll do what they did the last time Minnie met at TST during Mickeys 90th Birthday. Pluto will meet Minnie’s spot and they’ll slightly redress the backdrop for him.
Awww, I didn't know she joined him for his 90th, that's adorable.

Edit: both of their 90ths, I guess.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom