News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

JohnD

Not sure whats so crazy about an idea of Disney looking to find ways to save money… did you not see what happened with GMR and what we ended up with w MMRR in terms of AA vs screens?!?
You've heard "Okay, boomer", right? You're "crazy4disney". Hence, "Okay, crazy".

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

i'm going to set the record straight on this:

1. The plan for Tiana replacing Splash Mountain dates back to 2017.
2. Yes, the original plan was for Disneyland particularly when they were ripping up Critter Country for SWGE
3. No, 2020 was not the sole reason for WDW getting the replacement. You might remember that they introduced a large merchandising push for Splash Mountain around 2018 but it apparently did very poorly, cementing the fate of the ride. 2020 was just the final hump to announcing it. This coincides with Tianas riverboat also which did perform well.
4. Expect a cgi ride through video for D23
They were definitely tossing ideas around for this since at least 2015/16, but it wasn't being put into active consideration until they started tearing up Critter Country like you said. I think the merchandising push was to commemorate the ride's 30th anniversary at Disneyland and they had an excuse to start pumping things out for it.
Disneyland-Splash-Mountain-30th-Anniversary-Cast-Member-Pin.jpg

I mean, that's when we were getting cool stuff like this and the plushies people scalped the hell out of.
You're . . . close. Ish.

The Brer's have been on the chopping block for a while. There are many reasons that Disney doesn't see fit to keep them around, but the big one of course is money. Disney has long seen them as dead-end IP, since they don't make them much money as-is and Disney was not going to risk making a misstep in trying to breathe any new life into them.

People have been saying for a long time that Disney wants to do away with Splash Mountain more for money reasons and less for, um, socially conscious reasons, and that this itself is a problem and an indictment of the way Disney does things. But lots of people have dug their heels in and refused to hear it, instead deciding that Summer 2020 was the spurring event for the retheme and not just the spurring event for the announcement. So, good on you for finally letting it in.

The chances that WDW's Splash Mountain as we know it would be long for this world, even if the events of Summer 2020 hadn't happened, are low.
Honestly I'm very surprised Disney never simply branded the Br'ers as being "Park Originals" like Haunted Mansion or Figment. Not at all surprised that they're being retired because the company wants to replace them with more "financially successful" IP instead of facing their problematic origins head on. They kept kicking the can down the road until they had a reason to announce the re-theme. It was announced way too early (when only one piece of concept art was publicly released!) and had they waited now instead of mentioning it back in 2020, we'd likely have less of a polarized reception to it. I'd like to keep an open mind, but the two year wait and lack of substantial updates makes me feel like it's been overhyped and what we'll get will satisfy no one at all. Not the people in support, not the #SaveSplashMountain crowd, not the guests, no one.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
They were definitely tossing ideas around for this since at least 2015/16, but it wasn't being put into active consideration until they started tearing up Critter Country like you said. I think the merchandising push was to commemorate the ride's 30th anniversary at Disneyland and they had an excuse to start pumping things out for it.
View attachment 659191

I mean, that's when we were getting cool stuff like this and the plushies people scalped the hell out of.

Honestly I'm very surprised Disney never simply branded the Br'ers as being "Park Originals" like Haunted Mansion or Figment. Not at all surprised that they're being retired because the company wants to replace them with more "financially successful" IP instead of facing their problematic origins head on. They kept kicking the can down the road until they had a reason to announce the re-theme. It was announced way too early (when only one piece of concept art was publicly released!) and had they waited now instead of mentioning it back in 2020, we'd likely have less of a polarized reception to it. I'd like to keep an open mind, but the two year wait and lack of substantial updates makes me feel like it's been overhyped and what we'll get will satisfy no one at all. Not the people in support, not the #SaveSplashMountain crowd, not the guests, no one.
Thats what happens when you replace a perfect attraction when it was maintained properly…

Dear Prudence

You're . . . close. Ish.

The Brer's have been on the chopping block for a while. There are many reasons that Disney doesn't see fit to keep them around, but the big one of course is money. Disney has long seen them as dead-end IP, since they don't make them much money as-is and Disney was not going to risk making a misstep in trying to breathe any new life into them.

People have been saying for a long time that Disney wants to do away with Splash Mountain more for money reasons and less for, um, socially conscious reasons, and that this itself is a problem and an indictment of the way Disney does things. But lots of people have dug their heels in and refused to hear it, instead deciding that Summer 2020 was the spurring event for the retheme and not just the spurring event for the announcement. So, good on you for finally letting it in.

The chances that WDW's Splash Mountain as we know it would be long for this world, even if the events of Summer 2020 hadn't happened, are low.
Please stay in your lane.

MagicHappens1971

Why does it matter anymore? Splash Mountain is closing. Get over it. Whether it’s for the problematic history of the source material, the fact that the ride needs a rehab anyway, the Brers merch not selling, Tiana being a more marketable & merchandisable character, etc. The ride is closing and Tiana’a Bayou Adventure is coming, we should all embrace the change and hope that this new attraction is amazing

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You're . . . close. Ish.

The biggest public-facing piece of evidence for all of this is Peter Pan's Flight. At worst, Splash Mountain is an unobjectionable ride based on objectionable source material. Peter Pan's Flight is itself objectionable. But Tinkerbell moves merch.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Why does it matter anymore? Splash Mountain is closing. Get over it. Whether it’s for the problematic history of the source material, the fact that the ride needs a rehab anyway, the Brers merch not selling, Tiana being a more marketable & merchandisable character, etc. The ride is closing and Tiana’a Bayou Adventure is coming, we should all embrace the change and hope that this new attraction is amazing
In the end it truly doesnt matter i agree but i still find it fun and entertaining to call out these companies who try and spin things a certain way but thats probably getting off topic again. We can hope all we want but after what this company has done recently are you really that confident they can produce a ride as good as Splash was?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We can hope all we want but after what this company has done recently are you really that confident they can produce a ride as good as Splash was?
I mean... Yes. I don't like the change either but Rise of the Resistance, Flight of Passage, Cosmic Rewind, and IMO Runaway Railway are as good as Splash was. I have no qualms about recent ride quality.

MagicHappens1971

In the end it truly doesnt matter i agree but i still find it fun and entertaining to call out these companies who try and spin things a certain way but thats probably getting off topic again. We can hope all we want but after what this company has done recently are you really that confident they can produce a ride as good as Splash was?
I don’t see how Disney can’t create something as good as splash. How can you say you’re reimagining in the name of diversity and then make a half-a** replacement. Plus Disney knows how to still make a good attraction, as mentioned above ^, Cosmic Rewind, FoP, MMRR, RotR, and while I haven’t had the opportunity to experience in person, Shanghai Pirates, Mystic Manor, etc.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I mean... Yes. I don't like the change either but Rise of the Resistance, Flight of Passage, Cosmic Rewind, and IMO Runaway Railway are as good as Splash was. I have no qualms about recent ride quality.
for the price tags i would hope so lol... but Rise's reliability is still an issue... FoP i do love as well , havent ridden GoTG yet & i do think MMRR is a charming ride and adored it... with all that said.... TSL was to me a somewhat embarrassment, GE altho Rise is solid the land again underbuilt and underwhelming imo & you can say the same about Pandora... 2nd rides are meh & again the fact that MMRR didnt go elsewhere in park aghain just another bad decision.....

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I don’t see how Disney can’t create something as good as splash. How can you say you’re reimagining in the name of diversity and then make a half-a** replacement. Plus Disney knows how to still make a good attraction, as mentioned above ^, Cosmic Rewind, FoP, MMRR, RotR, and while I haven’t had the opportunity to experience in person, Shanghai Pirates, Mystic Manor, etc.
same reason i been giving the past months... to me Splash was perfect in all its glory and you truly cant top perfection..... put aside everything else all the noise and bs... anytime i would go or asked if i had to choose 1 ride... its always close between others but Splash to me is my #1 when you take everything into account of what a Disney ride should be etc.... just my opinion

esskay

Agreed. I'll absolutely miss Splash but it's become so tired and unloved that it needs something major. Giving it a massive overhaul and retheme is the logical option. Outside of North Americans who are 40+ years old nobody gets the references anymore, and nobody new to the parks can look at it and seriously think it's a good, modern attraction.

If we take off the rose tinted glasses we all wear it is an incredibly dated ride.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Agreed. I'll absolutely miss Splash but it's become so tired and unloved that it needs something major. Giving it a massive overhaul and retheme is the logical option. Outside of North Americans who are 40+ years old nobody gets the references anymore, and nobody new to the parks can look at it and seriously think it's a good, modern attraction.

If we take off the rose tinted glasses we all wear it is an incredibly dated ride.
due to the fact they have let it rot & not properly maintain it..... same thing the did with GMR & other beloved rides of the past....

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

You say that but the parks have multiple aging attractions, including some that opened with the park. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Country Bear Jamboree, The Hall of Presidents, It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and so on. Guarantee you Splash was loved even without people knowing what Song of the South or the Br'er Rabbit tales were.

UNCgolf

Really?

How many attractions have they built since Splash opened and how many are actually superior attractions? There's only a handful that are even comparable. It's clearly better than most attractions built in the past 30 years.

Unless you're saying people wouldn't think it's a good, modern attraction because Disney has let it rot. That's a different argument and separate from the actual design/content.

erasure fan1

Unless you're saying people wouldn't think it's a good, modern attraction because Disney has let it rot. That's a different argument and separate from the actual design/content.
Exactly. The only knock on splash is the fact that because of Disneys complete incompetence with maintenance and updates, it feels run down. That said, even in its rundown state, it's still better than most rides. And not just at Disney.

People love it, even if they have no idea what the source material is. Because a great ride is a great ride, no matter the IP.

James Alucobond

Really?

How many attractions have they built since Splash opened and how many are actually superior attractions? There's only a handful that are even comparable. It's clearly better than most attractions built in the past 30 years.

I largely agree with this. The ride isn't dated because the ride system itself and the associated thrill aspect are essentially timeless, and Splash represents the very best in class for rides of its type. The interior environment is also expertly themed to feel like a real cavern throughout.

However, I do feel like the characters and storyline may be entirely incidental to most guests' enjoyment, or I at least think folks here overestimate how central the majority of visitors feel they are to the overall experience. There might be more of an argument for the music, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom