News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

celluloid

Oh yeah, I've complained for a long time about how they've completely ruined merchandise and shopping overall throughout the parks. The items are mostly homogenous (you could just go to World of Disney and find anything you might want because it's mainly the same stuff everywhere) and they've stripped away much of the theming too.
That is a light way of putting it.

Cmdr_Crimson

"Beginning August 1, the Tomorrowland Light & Power Co. shop (located at the exit of Space Mountain) will be temporarily closed to all visitors as the area is refurbished. When it reopens, the location will feature a refreshed interior look and will serve as an exit point for Space Mountain and the all-new TRON Lightcycle/Run.

While this work is underway, Guests looking for stellar souvenirs should head to the following locations:
Star Traders: Tomorrowland and Space Mountain merchandise
Big Top Souvenirs: Star Wars, MARVEL and D-Tech On Demand merchandise

Space Mountain will remain open for the duration of this work. However, Guests exiting the attraction will follow a modified exit route bypassing Tomorrowland Light & Power Co."

This better return as an Arcade/Portal to the Grid.
7cb30403-abf8-4739-bfd0-bc4dbb1da79d_text.gif

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I don't usually have insider info, but I heard from someone in the know that the ride is nowhere near ready and all the speculative opening dates are wrong.

rioriz

I just came back from MK and had lunch with a trusted friend and CM...not doubting ^^^ but from what they said is the ride, like Rat, is pretty much a go except bell's and whistles of the queue and the outside landscaping. The opening timeline will look similar to RaT. It'll sit done and ready to go until Disney is ready to open it. That date, thy had no clue.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I just came back from MK and had lunch with a trusted friend and CM...not doubting ^^^ but from what they said is the ride, like Rat, is pretty much a go except bell's and whistles of the queue and the outside landscaping. The opening timeline will look similar to RaT. It'll sit done and ready to go until Disney is ready to open it. That date, thy had no clue.
Can't say what my source's role is...don't want him/her to get in trouble, but let's just say they've got a name tag.

999th Happy Haunt

I don't usually have insider info, but I heard from someone in the know that the ride is nowhere near ready and all the speculative opening dates are wrong.

Duality of man

Disney Glimpses

The only thing that I have heard, and this was a while ago, was that if it opened in 2023 that it would be a significant miss.

As for my personal opinion, that exterior is going to wrap up awfully quick. Not sure exactly what's going on inside but they sure as heck aren't testing brand new and very expensive ride vehicles through an extensively incomplete construction site with material, tools and scaffolding laying around everywhere.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Hmmm, pull throughs and ride cycling ongoing and a clone but not ready? Do you hear what you are peddling?
I was as surprised as you to hear this, but from what I heard the ride will not be ready by October. They said it's more complicated than just cloning the ride—different building codes and other technical stuff like that. This was on a time-limited Zoom call and they were being very careful not to say much. I wanted to say, "Hey, that doesn't make any sense! It looks totally done from all the photos I've seen!" But that would have been a bit rude to someone who already was telling me more than they probably should. So I don't know, I think I trust what they're telling me. There would be no reason for this person not to know what was going on at the work site.

Not sure exactly what's going on inside but they sure as heck aren't testing brand new and very expensive ride vehicles through an extensively incomplete construction site with material, tools and scaffolding laying around everywhere.
I agree, though I definitely got the indication that the inside is also not done.

Here's my more-educated-than-usual guesses (piecing together what my source told me):

OPTIMISTIC: at D23 they will announce that TRON will open in mid-December 2022 (during the holiday season, they'll keep Splash open until mid-January in this scenario). This is supposing that no further issues come up while they're finishing up.
PESSIMISTIC: at D23 they will announce a Spring 2023 opening for TRON, which will at the worst mean May 2023 a la Guardians. I can't imagine this happening, but if what my source says is to be believed, there's still quite a bit left and this would have to be the farthest limit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It has been a few months they are posting on Instagram about Tron around the 10th of each month... Let see what's coming in August.. Last before D23 on 11th of September..

TheMaxRebo

I was as surprised as you to hear this, but from what I heard the ride will not be ready by October. They said it's more complicated than just cloning the ride—different building codes and other technical stuff like that. This was on a time-limited Zoom call and they were being very careful not to say much. I wanted to say, "Hey, that doesn't make any sense! It looks totally done from all the photos I've seen!" But that would have been a bit rude to someone who already was telling me more than they probably should. So I don't know, I think I trust what they're telling me. There would be no reason for this person not to know what was going on at the work site.

I agree, though I definitely got the indication that the inside is also not done.

Here's my more-educated-than-usual guesses (piecing together what my source told me):

OPTIMISTIC: at D23 they will announce that TRON will open in mid-December 2022 (during the holiday season, they'll keep Splash open until mid-January in this scenario). This is supposing that no further issues come up while they're finishing up.
PESSIMISTIC: at D23 they will announce a Spring 2023 opening for TRON, which will at the worst mean May 2023 a la Guardians. I can't imagine this happening, but if what my source says is to be believed, there's still quite a bit left and this would have to be the farthest limit.

They have indicate Tron would open for the 50th, right? Which means they have until the end of March ... I think May would be a really big miss and some egg in their face/PR work to be done

My hope/guess is still mid Nov at least for soft openings/previews, but into early 2023 would be possible. But guess we shall see - seems like they are starting to get into the final push outside with some of the concrete paths down and speakers installed, doesn't feel like stuff done if still more than 6 months to go, but wouldn't put anything past Disney at this point

TheMaxRebo

TRON was supposed to open before the start of the 50th

Originally, yeah, but then they shifted to marketing it as "part of the 50th" and how things would open/be added during the 18 month celebration

So, sure, they could punt again and re-market it to be "part of the 100th celebration of the Walt Disney Company" or whatever, just think it would be a shift/need some more finagling if the opening is pushed past the end of March

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom