News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
An unannounced closing would not surprise me in this case. If they are truly trying to avoid any attention on the existing attraction at all, that would be the way to do it.
They have kept this ride open for this long. If they close it down before years end to hep w the Christmas and New years crowds they should be ashamed. I dont care if Tron opens toMorrow. And ive gone every year for Thanksgiving etc. its far from too cold to ride it so thats excuse isnt going to fly either…

yensidtlaw1969

They have kept this ride open for this long. If they close it down before years end to hep w the Christmas and New years crowds they should be ashamed. I dont care if Tron opens toMorrow. And ive gone every year for Thanksgiving etc. its far from too cold to ride it so thats excuse isnt going to fly either…
It's been said many times that the liklihood of closing it before year's end is slim.

Haymarket2008

A full fledged, nation wide, social and TV media promotion with an official time frame opening is “a knee jerk reaction”?

I don’t buy that at ALL.

yensidtlaw1969

A full fledged, nation wide, social and TV media promotion with an official time frame opening is “a knee jerk reaction”?

I don’t buy that at ALL.
Especially because they barely expanded on it - like, we know the attraction's name now, but the only other thing they added to what we knew was that it's coming in LATE 2024. People are acting like Anika Noni Rose's 2024 mention forced their hand or something. They barely told us anything that we didn't already know, it's not like they're doing damage control.

If this is reactionary, it feels way less like "QUICK, now we HAVE to throw something together!" and more like "IDK, we might as well make it official since it's already out there".

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Especially because they barely expanded on it - like, we know the attraction's name now, but the only other thing they added to what we knew was that it's coming in LATE 2024. People are acting like Anika Noni Rose's 2024 mention forced their hand or something. They barely told us anything that we didn't already know, it's not like they're doing damage control.

If this is reactionary, it feels way less like "QUICK, now we HAVE to throw something together!" and more like "IDK, we might as well make it official since it's already out there".
Since when do Disney dates mean anything?

EPCOT-O.G.

I don’t buy that at ALL.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the location of this promotion was 1) at the Essence Fest, and 2) on their social media channels. I don't think they purchased commercials or started advertisements or anything of the like. It's like they were posting ads during the F1 races. Not to suggest this means they don't currently have a plan, but it's not on the same level as a massive ad buy.

Sir_Cliff

The queue at MK is indeed longer, more richly themed, and transports you before the ride even begins in a way that Disneyland's does not. Unfortunately, it is one of the places where WDW's Pirates has had a noticeable decline over its lifespan, but it is still also the place where a Disneylander would likely be most impressed by the Florida Pirates. Even having lost some of its richness, the WDW Pirates Queue is still worthy of envy.

Disneyland Paris got nearly the best of both worlds in this regard - their queue is remniscent of WDW's (a bit shorter, I think, but even more richly themed), and then the ride proper is a restructured version of Disneyland's attraction (I think also slightly shorter, or perhaps just a little faster), featuring both the full Town scenes as well as a Cavern sequence at the end that is closer to Disneyland's in substance than WDW's shortened caves. They also have a great Fortress Facade that outdoes the WDW exterior, and the Adventureland surrounding the attraction absolutely adds to the feel of the whole thing.
This is wandering off topic, but I think I'm one of the few who might even rate the DLP version of Pirates a little below the MK version. The facade and whole area around it is fantastic and the queue is also great. For me, though, the Paris version feels more like a theme park ride and lacks the atmosphere of the other versions that seem to unfold in a more meandering, mysterious fashion. One big flaw in Paris is that they take you up a lift hill early on and you can look down on scenes unfolding later in the ride. That kind of blows the whole thing for me as where are you supposed to be? The upper ocean looking down on a town that sits on the lower ocean?

yensidtlaw1969

Since when do Disney dates mean anything?
That's . . . all the more reason my point stands.

Anika Noni Rose said the retheme was coming in 2024 in her interview. Disney knows that's either gonna happen or it isn't, and that these days more than ever dates and timelines are subject to change. So why would her comment make them feel the need to rush to respond, and how on earth would them being like "Yes, it's gonna be late 2024, and BTW here's the new name" qualify as a knee-jerk reaction?

Some people are acting like there's a conspiracy here, but they basically just said "Yep" and kept moving.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
That's . . . all the more reason my point stands.

Anika Noni Rose said the retheme was coming in 2024 in her interview. Disney knows that's either gonna happen or it isn't, and that these days more than ever dates and timelines are subject to change. So why would her comment make them feel the need to rush to respond, and how on earth would them being like "Yes, it's gonna be late 2024, and BTW here's the new name" qualify as a knee-jerk reaction?

Some people are acting like there's a conspiracy here, but they basically just said "Yep" and kept moving.
Well i dk if you want to call it a conspiracy but there was NO way they had real serious plans to change this ride to Tiana before the fake outrage on social media happened….

yensidtlaw1969

This is wandering off topic, but I think I'm one of the few who might even rate the DLP version of Pirates a little below the MK version. The facade and whole area around it is fantastic and the queue is also great. For me, though, the Paris version feels more like a theme park ride and lacks the atmosphere of the other versions that seem to unfold in a more meandering, mysterious fashion. One big flaw in Paris is that they take you up a lift hill early on and you can look down on scenes unfolding later in the ride. That kind of blows the whole thing for me as where are you supposed to be? The upper ocean looking down on a town that sits on the lower ocean?
They do make some sense of the uphill portion of the ride, though it is a little convoluted (and now a little more confused by the presence of the Davy Jones/Blackbeard Projection).

I personally enjoy the idea of the upper portion, but I do agree that does a little bit expose some of the theme-parkiness. Some of the views from uptop don't do the best job masking the ceilings, and sort of draw a little attention to the fact that you're in a warehouse. There is some good stuff up there, though, and it earns you the ability to put the second drop right after the Burning City, which is really nice. Spilling out the blown up side of the Upper fort down into the harbor where the ship is attacking is also a great bit of staging, but it does also result in you rushing through that classic moment, and I agree that some of the scenes feel more cramped and theatrically lit than they do stateside.

It's a thrilling interpretation to witness, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Your post sort of goes back to my original idea that WDW's Pirates is better than it gets credit for, because it does a lot of seemingly small things right that DLP's doesn't always pick up on.

Sir_Cliff

It's a thrilling interpretation to witness, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Your post sort of goes back to my original idea that WDW's Pirates is better than it gets credit for, because it does a lot of seemingly small things right that DLP's doesn't always pick up on.
Completely agree, and in fact it was the Paris version that gave me a new appreciation for the WDW version after years of always thinking of it mostly according to the stereotype of a rushed and truncated version of the DL version.

That's not to say I don't like the Paris version, though, and I agree with all of your observations of its strengths and weaknesses. I really feel that even just sealing up those views from the upper level of the ride would go a long way to addressing the theme parky feel of the Paris version and the sense that you're floating around a giant warehouse. One of the most impressive things about the DL version in particular is how the hide the ceilings, but in Paris they don't do a great job of that.

Disney Analyst

Completely agree, and in fact it was the Paris version that gave me a new appreciation for the WDW version after years of always thinking of it mostly according to the stereotype of a rushed and truncated version of the DL version.

That's not to say I don't like the Paris version, though, and I agree with all of your observations of its strengths and weaknesses. I really feel that even just sealing up those views from the upper level of the ride would go a long way to addressing the theme parky feel of the Paris version and the sense that you're floating around a giant warehouse. One of the most impressive things about the DL version in particular is how the hide the ceilings, but in Paris they don't do a great job of that.

Okay so I haven't been to DLP, and did not realize how different POTC was there. Just watched a video.

DLP Pirates is leaps and bounds better them MK, just off the video. It maintains most the key elements that makes the DL version superior, but in a new way. It's what MK should have been if they wanted to differentiate the rides.

Poor MK deserves a better POTC.

Ghost93

I also feel the announcement was to dispel the rumors that the current version of Splash Mountain would remain in the parks and that the retheme was cancelled.

Animaniac93-98

Your post sort of goes back to my original idea that WDW's Pirates is better than it gets credit for, because it does a lot of seemingly small things right that DLP's doesn't always pick up on.

One example I've given before is the placement of hurricane cove, which WDW places before the drop, the only version to do so.

It builds anticipation and masks the sound of the drop itself (and the riders in the boat in front of you going down it), making it seem like it will be more dramatic than it really is.

We see the storm approaching, the destruction of the what it did to the last ship, and now have to somehow survive our escape...only to land in a new danger with the battle.

Dear Prudence

Rose said it on a Disney owned network responding to a question that was clearly staged/baited. Which is sonweird because they could obviously just announce it, buy they've been so cagey about it the entire time.

Midwest Elitist

I mean, we’ve had Splash Mountain for what, over 30 years now? That’s a pretty good run for any theme park ride. Didn’t Walt himself say that the parks would always be evolving? I for one am totally fine with the retheme of this.
He's said that but also that "Disneyland will sometimes be a museum".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom